Simple smack problem

now I want to wirte a simple exmple with smack. but fail. I very sadly. can you help me?

below is my java program, and it’s will throw nullpoint exception when runing.

public class App

{

public static void main( String[] args ) throws Exception

{

XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration.Builder configBuilder = XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration.builder();

configBuilder.setUsernameAndPassword(“test”, “test”);

configBuilder.setXmppDomain(“jabber.org”);

configBuilder.setHost(“10.15.233.144”);

configBuilder.setPort(5222);

configBuilder.setConnectTimeout(30000);

AbstractXMPPConnection connection = new XMPPTCPConnection(configBuilder.build());

connection.connect();

connection.login();

connection.disconnect();

}

}

Hi wbb!

Have you tried using a debugger to find out, which line throws the NPE?

If you still struggle with the problem, please provide a stacktrace.

below is my stacktrace,thanks vary much.

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.smack.util.stringencoder.Base64.encode(Base64.java:64)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.util.stringencoder.Base64.encode(Base64.java:60)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.util.stringencoder.Base64.encodeToString(Base64.java:42)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.caps.EntityCapsManager.generateVerificationString(Entit yCapsManager.java:723)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.caps.EntityCapsManager.generateVerificationString(Entit yCapsManager.java:589)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.caps.EntityCapsManager.updateLocalEntityCaps(EntityCaps Manager.java:485)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.caps.EntityCapsManager.(EntityCapsManager.java:31 3)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.caps.EntityCapsManager.getInstanceFor(EntityCapsManager .java:376)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.caps.EntityCapsManager$1.connectionCreated(EntityCapsMa nager.java:119)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.(AbstractXMPPConnection.jav a:304)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.(XMPPTCPConnection.java:306)

at com.niwodai.smack.smacktest.App.main(App.java:22)

Hm, looks like no Base64 implementation is set. What system are you on?

windows 7

What Smack version? Which JRE? Which smack module do you include?

Please do not import the jars manually. Use a build system like gradle or maven instead.

the version is smack 4.2.0 , jre is 1.7.0_67, I have include all smack jar.

yes , I import jar with maven.

it looks like smack 4.2.0 have bugs or it’s code is not complete.

Since it works for me and most other people, I’d rather assume the problem is on your side.

mybe my problem. I’m so sadly, just a simple example,but I can’t work it out.

do you have some simple exmple? can you send to me? my email is wbbcg4426493@163.com.

I don’t see smack-java7 in this picture.

Also you can remove at least dnsjava and smack-experimental, as those are transitive dependencies.

thanks very much. there are no smack-java7 in my pom.xml. I download smack. but there are no smack-java7. I think it’s the key.

Please make sure to read the readme: Smack 4.2 Readme and Upgrade Guide · igniterealtime/Smack Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

thanks very much. I had created connection successfully to openfire server. thanks for your help, and patience.