I have forgotten my Admin Console password

I have forgotten my Admin Console password. I thought there was a way to edit the password in a file and then that would fix it. I can’t seem to find the place to do that in the file. I am runing Version 4.0. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If you know password for any other user, you can try adding it as an admin and logging in with it, then resetting password for regular admin. 3d message https://community.igniterealtime.org/message/247679#comment-247679

Now I think I have hosed the whole openfire.xml file. The service will not start at all now. Any suggestions?

Do you have a backup? Restore it from there. Though usually it doesn’t store much information. Other than database connection string like

org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider

Or post the content of your openfire.xml currently (obfuscating real names and passwords).

Currently attempting to restore from backup.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

xxxx

xxxx

en

org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider

true

That’s weird that your file is missing tag (and has strange tag).

I would try replacing that with

select which one to leave and uncomment in the middle, say

someuser

Stop Openfire before editing it, save it, start Openfire and then try logging into Admin Console with someuser.

Still no luck. I must not be editing the file correctly.

Ok, I had a duh moment. I have successfully set myself as an admin and was able to login to the admin console. Changed tha password and we are back up and running. I happened to see this info in another post, and it looks to be the same info. that WROOT was trying to give me. It just clicked and I was on my way. Thanks again for your help with this.

As stated before, edit the conf/openfire.xml file with the red text…

*** jimuser *** 9090 9091

This will REPLACE the existing admin account.

Once you get into the Admin console, you can edit the Server Properties and change the admin account, or add another with a comma separator.

I have done this several times with 3.6.0a…

Glad you have solved your issue. Btw, it only adds more admins, but doesn’t replace the default one. Also, don’t forget to remove admin permission from that user (in this user’s properties), unless you want him to stay an admin.