How to check real time or offline history of users

Hi, just wondering I can see that there’s a plugin of monitoring messages from user but how do I access their previous/history or real time chat?

The purpose of this is for Quality Assurance.

Thanks

Jeff

I tried to install the Monitoring plug in but the log shows it failed. Error log shows as below:

2016.10.21 11:38:54 org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager - Error installing plugin: Input stream was null or pluginFilename was null or had no length.

2016.10.21 11:38:54 org.jivesoftware.util.Log - Plugin manager failed to install plugin:

Because I’ve read some forum about after installing this plug in it should show you an archiving tab

Thanks

Jeff

Jefferson wrote:

how do I access their previous/history or real time chat?

If it wasn’t recorded, you can’t. Unless their client is saving the local history and they haven’t deleted it. In case of Spark it is stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spark\user\username@servername\transcripts

Apologies, I mean on the server side, can we checked their archived messages? For Example, I need to go back 30 days ago for their previous conversations?

I tried to install a plugin called Open Archive but I cant seem to search for my test conversation? or it takes time before the archive messages to appear on the server?

Not sure if I miised something here.

Thanks

Jeff

Open Archive will not help in this case (it is meant for clients supporting archiving feature, which Spark doesn’t). As i’ve said, if you wasn’t monitoring the chats with the Monitoring plugin, then they were not saved on the server, so there is no way to check previous chats on the server.

Actually I also installed monitoring plugin together with open archive. And I enabled the message audit policy under server settings

Thanks

Jeff

Based on your 2 first messages i have assumed that installing Monitoring plugin has failed for you and you were asking for other options to access old chats. Well, if you have installed Monitoring plugin 30 days ago, then you should be able to access old history. If you are not able to find old chats there, then i can’t help with that. Not using this plugin myself, but i think i recall there some calendar widget letting you set a date to filter out the search. If you have enabled audit policy 30 days ago, you should be able to access audit logs in /logs directory (depending on the overwrite policy and the activity on your server). Audit logs are xml based and not easily readable.

I think monitoring plugin has been already installed successfully since I can now see a daily xml file based on date generated daily. I tried to use notepadd++ to read on the 10MB file but all I see are just users on the conversation, I dont see the message itself.

Thanks

Jeff

What 10 MB file do you refer? Monitoring plugin stores conversations in the database.

After I enabled Message Audit Policy, on a daily basis, it creates a

jive.audit.<date>-000

A jive.log file, I’m not sure if this is the conversation you’re referring to.

or How do I access the conversation database?

Thanks

jeff

Message audit policy is a built-in feature and not related to Monitoring Service plugin. It should also be storing messages. But i haven’t tried it for a while. Maybe you need to check some additional option to log actual messages.

Monitoring Service plugin stores messages in the main database. I don’t know the exact name of the table. It should create a menu in Admin Console to access statistics and search for conversations.

I have just tested Message audit policy (i had to check the **Audit Message Packets **additionally). It has logged a few messages i have sent.

I have also enabled Archiving of one to one chats in the Monitoring Service (Archiving tab in Admin Console). It is disabled by default. I was able to see logged messages in web interface and downloaded logs in pdf form. It takes some time before conversations appear in the system (a few minutes) and i think conversation has to end first (closed chat windows). I have also set Maximum Message Age to 10 days (it was 0 in my case, but i’m not sure what is the default).

That Archiving Tab is the one I cant find. I’ve uninstalled reinstalled the Monitoring plugin 3x and still unable to see the archiving tab.

Thanks

Jeff

Apologies for the cofusion, I think I already saw it. I didn’t notice the tab because, the server’s locale location and language for applications is set to Chinese. I didn’t notice that it was on the right side of the Server Tab and as a Sub tab. Will try to play aloon g the settings and see if it logs.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi wroot, I think it is already working. Yes, you need to close first or turn off the conversation before it actually logs the conversation.

Thanks

Jeff

1 Like