Openfire upgrade failed - Windows Uninstall fails - looking for uninstaller

Is there an uninstall utility available?

Perhaps manual uninstall instructions?

Spark / Openfire had been running well in our office for months, perhaps a year.

Another "mission critical program running on the box where Openfire is running as our Spark server required a Java upgrade (to version 8.0) which appears to have cause major issues with Openfire.

We’ve tried Updating Java to version 8.0 101 with no success.

Openfire_4_0_3 upgrade failed to the point open fire will not run.

Spark version is 2.7.5.752

Open fire server computer is Windows 7 professional, 32-bit, currently running no antivirus. Removed Symantec Endpoint Protection, Windows Defender is off, Windows Firewall is off (we have a frontline firewall so this is not an issue)

Thanx,

Ric

Just remove the Openfire installation folder and then remove the entry from Programs and Features. Then try installing again. If you were using internal databse, then copy Openfire folder before removing it (it contains embedded-db folder with the database).

1 Like

Great to hear!

Will try this first thing in the AM.

Can you tell me if our configuration is compatible? Do the versions of Spark, Openfire & Java 8 mentioned above play nice in the sandbox?

Thanx!

Ric

I’m not sure i understood what your issue was in relation to Java. Current Openfire version works fine with Java 8, as well as Spark 2.7.x and 2.8.x versions.

It could have been a coincental incidence with Java. That was the only thing that changed on the box and right after that OpenFire/Spark stopped working.

I will try the manual uninstall/reinstall.

Are there any specific instructions for copying back the embedded-db folder with the database?

Thanx!

Ric

I think we’re getting closer but received an error when starting Openfire after the install

=========================================

Openfire 4.0.3 [Sep 22, 2016 8:58:30 AM]

Admin console listening at:

http://user1000:9090

https://user1000:9091

Error starting 5222: Address already in use: bind

=========================================

This was after I performed the following:

Copied embedded-db folder to a network share for later use

Removed Openfire from C:\Program Files\ (32-bit)

Removed Openfire from Programs and features

rebooted

Installed Openfire 4.0.3

Opened console and performed initial setup

closed and stopped Openfire

Copied configuration files in embedded-db on network share to server

Started Openfire and received the error mentioned above

Users and Groups were restored to Openfire but Spark clients cannot log in

Login error: Invalid username or password

Suggestions?

Thanx!

Ric

Signed into Openfire from another workstation successfully.

Found this message:

The standard port for clients to connect to the server. On this port plain-text connections are established, which, depending on configurable security settings, can (or must) be upgraded to encrypted connections.

5222 was already encrypted.

Tried encrypting 5223 also but did not help.

Encrypted (legacy-mode) connections

Connections of this type are established using encryption immediately (as opposed to using STARTTLS). This type of connectivity is commonly referred to as the “legacy” method of establishing encrypted communications.

Please advise.

Thanx.

Ric

Tried resetting the Spark password for my user.

Did not help

Never saw such error. Maybe there is some other program on that server using 5222 port. Run netstat -a command on that machine in cmd to see what is using 5222.

Are you trying to login with Spark 2.8.0? Can you try with 2.7.7? You can download it by replacing version number in the download URL. Or you can try the latest nightly build, which will give a more exact error. http://download.igniterealtime.org/spark/dailybuilds/spark_2_8_0_900.exe

5223 is an obsolete port and not needed. You did everything right, just copying embedded-db folder is enough.

Good to know I did things right by copying the embedded-db folder…

The only references to 5222 in netstat -a are:

TCP 192.168.0.34:6868 qr-in-f125:5222 ESTABLISHED

TCP 192.168.0.34:9769 qr-in-f125:5222 ESTABLISHED

not sure if this has any meaning to our situation

We are using Spark version 2.7.5.752

Downloaded and installed

http://igniterealtime.org/downloads/download-landing.jsp?file=spark/spark_2_7_7. exe

Still gives the same error when trying to sign in.

Activated debugger on startup

raw sent packets:

<stream:stream to=“user1000” xmlns=“jabber:client” xmlns:stream=“http://etherx.jabber.org/streams” version=“1.0”>

cmljAHJpYwBLY2lyOTUzMQ==

raw received packets

<?xml version='1.0'?>

stream:featuresPLAIN</mechanis ms></stream:features>

Next I tried installing / upgrading to spark_2_8_0_900

Same error

Uninstalled Spark all together

Installed fresh copy of spark_2_8_0_900

Same error (sigh)

seems to be retaining settings from previous installations i.e. user ID, password, and domain are prefilled. Was hoping to do a fresh install. the domain we are using is user1000

I can UNC over to the Openfire server i.e. I can get to \user1000\C\Program Files\Openfire\

Suggestions?

Thanx for your help!

Ric

good to know. I turned it off.

thanx

Actually netstat should show something like:

TCP 0.0.0.0:5222 user1000 LISTENING

So, maybe there is something on this machine using that port. Does this IP is IP of the machine you have Openfire installed on (192.168.0.34)? any clue what is qr-in-f125?

If something is using 5222 port and Openfire can’t get a hold of it Spark can’t login to Openfire as something else is using that port. You can also check Spark’s logs at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spark\logs (both error and warn, look for new entries at the bottom).

You can try changing 5222 port to something else in Openfire’s Admin Console and then in Spark go to Advanced settings on Login screen and uncheck automatically discover host and port and put user1000 and the changed port there.

Openfire is not running on the client’s machine (static IP of 192.168.0.34) or any other machine. It is only running on the box we are using as the Openfire server. no idea if anything is using port 5222 on the .34 computer.

Good news! I rebooted both machines again and it appears to be working again! Also tested on a couple of other machines and it appears to be working just fine.

Can you please tell me how to set Openfire to start and run as a Service?

Also, the following message / information comes up on the Openfire console immediately after starting Openfire. Spark and Open fire are working / communicating in spite of this message.

Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database setEtings narror starting th ed check the logs/error.log fieles ofrver. Please check the log filsre for morei detaileden rrforamor messitages.

java.lang.IllegaAlon

.ru

gmnetException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@f7cf94a6[file =C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:734)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:448)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:169)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:105)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:56)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:65)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:101)

at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:26)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@f7cf94a6[file =C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:156)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:724)

… 16 more

Server halted

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Ric

The “database is already in use” error usually is caused by two Openfire processes launched at the same time. So, maybe you already have it running as a service. Try restarting machine with Openfire and do not run Openfire manually. Try connecting with Spark. If it works, then service is already running (from your old installation).

Installing the service is described here Openfire: Installation Guide (Windows Service).

That makes sense that the database was already open since I had it set up previously to run as a service. Apparently that stayed configured. A very good thing!

Now for the bad news. Just had a “What the …” moment. After rebooting the box that runs Openfire, Spark is no longer working! We are back to the original problem!

Tried rebooting a couple of workstations but no luck.

Spark is down again.

Any new suggestions? It worked for hours yesterday and today. As I mentioned it is not working after the reboot.

Open fire is currently running in Services.msc and is set to Automatic

I can access the Administration console from the server and from another workstation in the office via http://user1000:9090/login.jsp

Users and Groups are still there.

Spark users just cannot log in

Does Spark logs something in the error\warn logs when it can’t login? If you still have a backup of embedded-db you can try reinstalling it again (maybe also removing the old service first).

Nothing logged in the error log.

Will try uninstalling again and then reinstalling.

Thank you.

Ric

Still dead in the water…

Copied the embedded-db to a safe place and then uninstalled OpenFire

reinstalled OpenFire

ran the post installation OpenFire setup

stopped OpenFire

copied embedded-db files back to the new installation

started OpenFire

Started Spark on a client workstation- failed

(there were various reboots of the server and client workstations along the way.)

uninstalled Spark on the client workstation

Installed Spark 2.7.7

Same Login error: Invalid username or password

Installed Spark 2.8.0

Same Login error: Invalid username or password

So you have copied the database now, after the failure. It might be corrupt. I meant do you have the older backup still around. Anyway, when you run Openfire, are you able to login to Admin Console?