96 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 7:00 AM by Jan Kapellen

Receiving new Spark message opens window but doesn't display message

Gretchen Raff

I'm having a problem, and I'm not sure whether it's related to Openfire or Spark. We're on Openfire 4.0.3 and Spark 2.8.0. I believe the issue is Openfire related because it started last week, after I updated Openfire from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3. I updated my office from Spark 2.7.7 to 2.8.0 this week hoping it would solve the problem, but it has not.

The issue is that sometimes when a user receives a spark from someone that hasn't sparked them yet today, the message window pops up and flashes like it should, but it only shows the conversation history, not the first spark of the day. Messages after the first one are coming through normally, and they're being logged on the openfire server, they're just not showing up for the message recipient.

Not all of my users are experiencing this issue, and I've discovered no patterns in who has the issue vs who doesn't. I seem to be the one having this problem the most, which is lucky for testing, because I was able to uninstall Spark completely, reboot my machine, reinstall Spark and verify that I am still having the problem so I don't believe it's related to a bad install.

If anyone has any ideas for settings to change or things to check, I'm open to all ideas. I'm also happy to tell you more about my setup if you need more info. Thanks!

• Re: Receiving new Spark message opens window but doesn't display message
          wroot

I think i saw something similar a few times, but not sure if that was after the 4.0.3 update (i'm using latest 2.8.0 builds for some time already). A few times i have noticed a few messages coming to me as an offline message when i turned Spark on later, though it looked like an earlier message. And once i haven't received a message. Are you sure this is the same with Spark 2.7.7 and started only with 4.0.3 update?

wroot

So far i can only confirm that the only same issue (message sent to me, but i haven't seen it, although i didn't get the opened empty window either, i think) happened to me after the 4.0.3 upgrade and on Spark 2.8.0. So far no other reports from the users (they are on 2.7.7). I can't reproduce it. If you can reproduce it regularly, can you log out, go to Advanced settings on the login window, enabled Debugger and then login and run it this way. So when the issue occurs, you can check the Raw Received Packets tab and see if the message is actually coming to your Spark and is just not shown in the window for some reason.

wroot

Btw, anything in the logs? Spark's C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spark\logs and Openfire's?

Gretchen Raff

Yes, I'm sure that this is the same with Spark 2.7.7 and I only had it reported to me after the 4.0.3 update. I enabled the debugger so hopefully that will give me some good information. I'll post back once I have some data from that. The only error being logged is being logged every time I log in to spark:

SEVERE: Profile contains wrong format: "gretchen" located at: C:\Users\gretchen\AppData\Roaming\Spark\user\gretchen

It has apparently been being logged for months though so I think it's not likely to be related.

Gretchen Raff

Ok, here's what I've got. I had this happen again this morning while I was running the debugger. Here's the entry for the message that was sent to me that I didn't receive:

<message to="gretchen@server/Spark 2.6.3" from="kelly@server/Spark 2.7.0" id="d6JNz-1324" type="chat">
                    <thread>vdp7If</thread>
                    <inactive xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/>
                  </message>

There are 6 similar entries in my debugger log that, according to our openfire logs, all pertain to the same single message that this user sent me and I didn't receive (although the chat window for that user opened and started flashing). The only other odd  thing I notice is the versions. It says I'm running 2.6.3 and Kelly is running 2.7.0 (I believe that those versions are the first versions that were ever installed on our machines since Windows was installed last). In reality, we're both running 2.8.0. I'm not really sure what else to look for.

wroot

Thanks for the debug information. As for the versions, this is a resource string, which can be set in Advanced menu on the login screen. In older versions it was defaulting to Spark+version when first time launching for a user. In current versions it defaults to just Spark. Once set it never changes unless a user changes it manually. That's why you have 2.6.3 showing.

I can't figure out which change in 4.0.3 could have caused that (looking at the changelog). But i have filed this as https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/OF-1185

Would be great to somehow test this with some other client (like Pidgin, Gajim, etc.)

Guus der Kinderen

The message that you provided is not an actual chat message, it is bit of metadata, that's used to signal the current state of the peer user (it is used to display messages like "user is typing...", things like that).

Can you, with certainty, tell if the other user was sending you an actual message (as in, composed text)? If there's a bug in Spark where it would pop up a new chat window when it receives a chat state change, it would look as if you missed a message - perhaps that message was not sent in the first place?

Ideal Life

Guus,

In my environment (4.0.3 / 2.8 both on Ubnutu) I can see the message in the logs but the chat window in spark shows nothing. So, essentially, I miss the first message.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              Gretchen Raff

Yes, there was definitely a message sent, it just didn't show up in my spark. The message was logged in openfire.

Guus der Kinderen

Ok, that's clear. And by "logged in Openfire", you mean what exactly? Where do you find the message 'in Openfire'?

Also: using the Spark/Smack debug window, do you see the (text) message at all (even if it does not appear in a chat window, I wonder if the data arrives at your computer)?

Gretchen Raff

If I search the openfire archives, it finds the message that was sent to me that I didn't receive.

I received 6 notifications identical to the one I put in my earlier response for the message that opened my chat window and made it flash but that never showed up. I'm not sure where in the debug window you want me to look. I've been working in Pidgin for the last few days and have received every message sent to me. I'll switch back to Spark and see what kind of debug logs I can generate.

wroot

As i've said it should be in Raw Packets Received. But there should be <body>actual message text</body> in the packets. If it is not there, then the message is not actually received by Spark.

Guus der Kinderen

To start the debugger, select "advanced" on the login screen (where you fill out your username/password), then make sure that "start debugger on startup" is checked. It will give you a new screen with lots of debugging information after you log in.

Guus der Kinderen

You've already mentioned that the message shows up in the message archive on the Openfire side, but it's unclear to me if you looked at the Openfire log files. Perhaps a warning or error is logged there, that indicates why a packet is not processed properly.

The easiest way to look at the Openfire logs is by looking at the file "all.log" in the directory "logs" of the installation folder of Openfire. You can also view the logs via the Openfire admin console, but for a reason that I never quite understood, the log files there is separated in four distinct tabs (each for a different severity).

Gretchen Raff

Here is everything logged by Openfire around the time of one of these lost/missed messages:

2016.08.30 10:28:41 WARN [pool-29-thread-4]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketUtil - Unable to create a socket connection to XMPP domain 'Domain' using remote host: Domain:5269. Cause: Connection refused: connect (a full stacktrace is logged on debug level)
                                                    2016.08.30 10:28:41 WARN [pool-29-thread-4]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketUtil - Unable to create a socket connection to XMPP domain 'Domain': Unable to connect to any of its remote hosts.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:28:41 INFO [pool-29-thread-4]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession[Create outgoing session for: OpenFireServer to Domain] - Unable to create new session: Cannot create a plain socket connection with any applicable remote host.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:28:41 WARN [pool-29-thread-4]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession[Authenticate local domain: 'OpenFireServer' to remote domain: 'Domain'] - Unable to authenticate: Fail to create new session.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:30:48 WARN [pool-29-thread-5]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketUtil - Unable to create a socket connection to XMPP domain 'Domain' using remote host: Domain:5269. Cause: Connection refused: connect (a full stacktrace is logged on debug level)
                                                    2016.08.30 10:30:48 WARN [pool-29-thread-5]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketUtil - Unable to create a socket connection to XMPP domain 'Domain': Unable to connect to any of its remote hosts.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:30:48 INFO [pool-29-thread-5]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession[Create outgoing session for: OpenFireServer to Domain] - Unable to create new session: Cannot create a plain socket connection with any applicable remote host.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:30:48 WARN [pool-29-thread-5]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession[Authenticate local domain: 'OpenFireServer' to remote domain: 'Domain'] - Unable to authenticate: Fail to create new session.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:33:49 WARN [pool-29-thread-1]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketUtil - Unable to create a socket connection to XMPP domain 'Domain' using remote host: Domain:5269. Cause: Connection refused: connect (a full stacktrace is logged on debug level)
                                                    2016.08.30 10:33:49 WARN [pool-29-thread-1]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketUtil - Unable to create a socket connection to XMPP domain 'Domain': Unable to connect to any of its remote hosts.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:33:49 INFO [pool-29-thread-1]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession[Create outgoing session for: OpenFireServer to Domain] - Unable to create new session: Cannot create a plain socket connection with any applicable remote host.
                                                    2016.08.30 10:33:49 WARN [pool-29-thread-1]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession[Authenticate local domain: 'OpenFireServer' to remote domain: 'Domain'] - Unable to authenticate: Fail to create new session.

speedy

Guus, correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a DNS and S2S issue.  my guess is the client is using a cname or something as "server" address, instead of the xmpp domain, which is prob causing the issue

Guus der Kinderen

Although I doubt that it relates to the issue at hand, each of these log messages are all relate to pretty much the same thing: Your Openfire (which is running the XMPP domain "OpenFireServer"), is trying, and failing, to create a connection to another server (might be yours, might be someone else's, might not exist at all) that is running the XMPP domain "Domain".

A common cause for your Openfire to try and connect to another server is to allow users from both networks to talk to each-other. Assuming that your username is "gretchen" (which would make your JID "gretchen@OpenFireServer"), it is very possible that you want to chat with your friend named "oliver" that's on another XMPP network, named "Domain" (Oliver's JID would be "oliver@Domain"). You could have done so by adding "oliver@Domain" to your contact list, after which your domain will attempt to make contact with Oliver's domain. These attempts are what we see failing in the log file that you provided.

Note that it is possible that you tried to add a contact to your contact list, but used an incorrect JID to do so. For instance, Oliver could have an account on the same XMPP domain as yours (eg: "oliver@OpenFireServer"), but you accidentally used "oliver@Domain" instead. Even if the XMPP domain "Domain" does not exist, or is currently not reachable, your domain will attempt to contact it.

The names of both XMPP domains are suspicious: "OpenFireServer" and "Domain" look odd. Did you search/replace these values before you posted the log files here? If not, your setup might need to be looked at - although you can probably make things work with these names, odd values like this can lead to confusion, and thus, problems.

Gretchen Raff

Thank you for the version clarification. Also, thanks for filing the issue. Since I'm being most affected by this issue (for the first time ever--this makes it so much easier to troubleshoot!), I'll try to install another client today and I'll let you know what happens.

Gretchen Raff

I've been using pidgin all day and I've received every message sent to me. So maybe this is actually a Spark issue? Or at least an issue related to how Openfire and Spark interact. That makes sense to me considering the fact that the Spark debugger knew it received the message, Spark just somehow wasn't able to display it.

Gretchen Raff

Here are all of the raw packets received today when I received a message from a user, Jill, that didn't display although the chat window opened and flashed. You can see in the data below that the message itself did come in to spark, it just wasn't displayed.

<message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-613" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>eSYGso</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-614" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>eSYGso</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-615" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>eSYGso</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-616" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>eSYGso</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-617" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><body>i am having some printer issues - could you pls take a look?</body><thread>eSYGso</thread><x xmlns="jabber:x:event"><offline/><composing/></x><active xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-619" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>eSYGso</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="8h9tm-620" type="chat" from="jill@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>eSYGso</thread><gone xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                <iq type="get" id="89-27224" from="OpenfireServer" to="gretchen@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/></iq>

Gretchen Raff

Here's another where the message didn't show in my Spark window, but it opened and flashed.

<iq to="gretchen@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3" id="jy7qe-24829" type="get" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><query xmlns="jabber:iq:last"/></iq>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24831" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <presence id="n5D6o-1128" from="rob@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3" to="gretchen@OpenfireServer"><status>Away</status><priority>0</priority><show>away</show><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" hash="sha-1" node="http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack" ver="TJuVIXqTCVfJSthaPu4MtTbaf9A="/></presence>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24833" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24834" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24835" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24836" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24837" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24838" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24839" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24840" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24841" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24842" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24843" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24844" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24845" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><body>Hi Gretchen, i am working at home, i laserfiche kicked me off yesterday and now today again. Do you know if we are having problems?</body><thread>Ydl73u</thread><x xmlns="jabber:x:event"><offline/><composing/></x><active xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                  <presence id="qXk1H-10" from="crystal@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3" to="gretchen@OpenfireServer"><status>Online</status><priority>1</priority><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" hash="sha-1" node="http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack" ver="TJuVIXqTCVfJSthaPu4MtTbaf9A="/></presence>
                                                  <message to="gretchen@OpenfireServer" id="jy7qe-24848" type="chat" from="glenda@OpenfireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Ydl73u</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>

Gretchen Raff

I've got the latest build installed now. Here are the raw packets received from a message that again didn't show in my chat window, but did make my chat window pop up and flash. The second message that she sent me, that you see at the end, did appear in the chat window:

<iq type="get" id="273-41011" from="OpenFireServer" to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/></iq>
                                                    <iq to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" id="yHC31-25939" type="get" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><query xmlns="jabber:iq:last"/></iq>
                                                    <iq to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" id="yHC31-25941" type="get" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><query xmlns="jabber:iq:last"/></iq>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25943" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25944" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25945" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <presence id="VEU93-10" from="angel@OpenFireServer/Spark" to="gretchen@OpenFireServer"><status>Online</status><priority>1</priority><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" hash="sha-1" node="http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack" ver="TJuVIXqTCVfJSthaPu4MtTbaf9A="/></presence>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25947" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25948" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25949" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25950" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25951" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25952" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25953" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25954" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25955" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25956" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25957" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25958" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25959" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25960" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25961" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25962" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25963" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><body>hi - can we try changing the battery to Michael's keyboard? We'll have to test it out though before giving it back lol</body><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><x xmlns="jabber:x:event"><offline/><composing/></x><active xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25965" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25966" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25967" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25968" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25969" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25970" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25971" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25972" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><body>Unless you and Kar have changed it recently</body><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><x xmlns="jabber:x:event"><offline/><composing/></x><active xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                    <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer" id="yHC31-25974" type="chat" from="taline@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>Kb9PBC</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>

Gretchen Raff

I now have Spark 2.8.0.895 installed. Here's another excerpt from my spark raw packets received around another message that didn't show in my spark window. (The message itself is just "Sure" because that person was responding to a spark I'd sent him before I installed the new version).

<iq type="get" id="713-50216" from="OpenFireServer" to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/></iq>
                                                      <presence id="I6323-10" from="nancy@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" to="gretchen@OpenFireServer"><status>Online</status><priority>1</priority><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" hash="sha-1" node="http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack" ver="TJuVIXqTCVfJSthaPu4MtTbaf9A="/></presence>
                                                      <presence id="8Gm29-10" from="angel@OpenFireServer/Spark" to="gretchen@OpenFireServer"><status>Online</status><priority>1</priority><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" hash="sha-1" node="http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack" ver="TJuVIXqTCVfJSthaPu4MtTbaf9A="/></presence>
                                                      <presence id="719A1-10" from="andy@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" to="gretchen@OpenFireServer"><status>Online</status><priority>1</priority><c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps" hash="sha-1" node="http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/smack" ver="TJuVIXqTCVfJSthaPu4MtTbaf9A="/></presence>
                                                      <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" id="719A1-1777" type="chat" from="andy@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>HcNo2r</thread><composing xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                      <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" id="719A1-1778" type="chat" from="andy@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><body>Sure</body><thread>HcNo2r</thread><x xmlns="jabber:x:event"><offline/><composing/></x><active xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>
                                                      <message to="gretchen@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3" id="719A1-1780" type="chat" from="andy@OpenFireServer/Spark 2.6.3"><thread>HcNo2r</thread><paused xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates"/></message>

Also, while my spark error log is silent, my warning log has these warnings:

WARNING: chatRoomActivated:  andy@OpenFireServer
                                                      Sep 09, 2016 2:47:21 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
                                                      WARNING: chatRoomOpened:  andy@OpenFireServer
                                                      Sep 09, 2016 2:58:18 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
                                                      WARNING: userHasJoined:  andy@OpenFireServer Spark 2.6.3
                                                      Sep 09, 2016 2:58:24 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
                                                      WARNING: userHasJoined:  andy@OpenFireServer Spark 2.6.3

Gretchen Raff

I also just realized that Spark has one other odd behavior for me: when I double click on a contact in my list, it will open a new tab in my chat window for that contact, but the window doesn't come to the top--it flashes and stays hidden behind all my other windows. If I bring the chat window up on top of my other windows, it has the new tab for the contact I just double clicked, but that tab isn't the selected one, whatever tab I was on before is still selected.

I'm not 100% sure they're related, and if not, this is not an issue that I would bother to report. If it is related, I thought this may give you a hint as to what's going wrong.

Guus der Kinderen

It's somewhat suspicious that I can't identify the source of those 'warning' log messages. They did point me towards more code locations where the isolation fix was needed. I've prepared another patch.

There's no need to provide further packet dumps, by the way. We've learned what we can from them, I think.

wroot

New build is http://download.igniterealtime.org/spark/dailybuilds/spark_2_8_0_897.exe

As i understand, there is not need to provide message logs (from debugger), but error/warn logs can still have something useful.

Guus der Kinderen

Yes, indeed. The stanza's (XML dumps) won't include new insights, I think. I am hoping that with my changes, new things are written to the logfiles though, so please keep a close eye on those.

wroot

Guus, a side effect in this build. Can't close chat window. Can only close individual tabs.

wroot

After Spark restart first time it closes chat window, but next window can't be closed.

warn.log (this entry is repeating for a long time though):

Rgs 12, 2016 11:19:17 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
                                                                              WARNING: Could not activate PrivacyList Privacy List: spark:blackList(active:false, default:true)

error.log:

Rgs 12, 2016 10:50:06 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
                                                                              SEVERE: A SparkTabbedPaneListener (org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer$1@1617920) threw an exception while processing a 'tabRemoved' event (tab: 'org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTab[,4,28,699x473,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=9,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]', component: 'org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl[,0,0,699x473,invalid,layout=java.awt.GridBagLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.border.MatteBorder@28831a,flags=9,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]', index: '0').
                                                                              java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
                                                                                  at java.util.concurrent.CopyOnWriteArrayList$COWIterator.remove(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.fireClosingListeners(ChatRoom.java:1230)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.closeChatRoom(ChatRoom.java:866)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl.closeChatRoom(ChatRoomImpl.java:187)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer.cleanupChatRoom(ChatContainer.java:510)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer.access$000(ChatContainer.java:63)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer$1.tabRemoved(ChatContainer.java:95)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTabbedPane.fireTabRemoved(SparkTabbedPane.java:318)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTabbedPane.close(SparkTabbedPane.java:355)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTabbedPane$TabPanel$1$1.finished(SparkTabbedPane.java:412)
                                                                                  at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker.lambda$null$0(SwingWorker.java:150)
                                                                                  at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                                                                                  at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
                                                                                  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Gretchen Raff

Here is what was logged in my errors.log file after it happened this morning:

Sep 12, 2016 10:36:21 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
                                                                    SEVERE: A SparkTabbedPaneListener (org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer$1@10afc28) threw an exception while processing a 'tabRemoved' event (tab: 'org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTab[,1,25,488x344,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=9,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]', component: 'org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl[,0,0,488x344,invalid,layout=java.awt.GridBagLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.border.MatteBorder@740699,flags=9,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]', index: '0').
                                                                    java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
                                                                        at java.util.concurrent.CopyOnWriteArrayList$COWIterator.remove(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.fireClosingListeners(ChatRoom.java:1230)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.closeChatRoom(ChatRoom.java:866)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl.closeChatRoom(ChatRoomImpl.java:187)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer.cleanupChatRoom(ChatContainer.java:510)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer.access$000(ChatContainer.java:63)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer$1.tabRemoved(ChatContainer.java:95)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTabbedPane.fireTabRemoved(SparkTabbedPane.java:318)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.component.tabbedPane.SparkTabbedPane.close(SparkTabbedPane.java:355)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer.closeTab(ChatContainer.java:773)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer.closeAllChatRooms(ChatContainer.java:543)
                                                                        at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatContainer$11.windowClosing(ChatContainer.java:1253)
                                                                        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.windowClosing(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at com.jtattoo.plaf.BaseTitlePane.close(BaseTitlePane.java:295)
                                                                        at com.jtattoo.plaf.BaseTitlePane$CloseAction.actionPerformed(BaseTitlePane.java:568)
                                                                        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at com.jtattoo.plaf.BaseButtonListener.mouseReleased(BaseButtonListener.java:60)
                                                                        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
                                                                        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)

Gretchen Raff

Ok, now I'm running spark version 2.8.0.899. Here is everything that was logged the last time this happened:

Sep 12, 2016 12:27:04 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
                                                                      SEVERE:
                                                                      java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 22
                                                                          at java.util.ArrayList.add(Unknown Source)
                                                                          at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.lambda$addSubscriptionListener$17(ContactList.java:1865)
                                                                          at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$3.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:1105)
                                                                          at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
                                                                          at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
                                                                          at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Sep 12, 2016 12:27:05 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
                                                                      SEVERE:
                                                                      java.lang.NullPointerException
                                                                          at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.updateUserPresence(ContactList.java:309)
                                                                          at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.access$900(ContactList.java:73)
                                                                          at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList$13.lambda$run$0(ContactList.java:1880)

SEVERE:
                                                                          at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.updateUserPresence(ContactList.java:309)

SEVERE:

SEVERE:

SEVERE:

SEVERE:

SEVERE:

SEVERE:

SEVERE:

Gretchen Raff

I'm now on Spark 2.8.0.900. when I received a message today that didn't show up in my chat window, nothing was logged in errors.log, and this is all that was logged in warn.log:

Sep 13, 2016 1:48:09 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
                                                                        WARNING: chatRoomOpened:  jennifer@OpenFireServer
                                                                        Sep 13, 2016 1:48:58 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
                                                                        WARNING: chatRoomActivated:  jennifer@OpenFireServer

Gretchen Raff

So far so good. Since I deleted my old Spark AppData folder (Roaming), I've received every message sent to me. Guus, I'm in the group chat room if you're available.

Jan Kapellen

We've got the exact same issue with the most recent version of both Spark(2.8.3) and Openfire (4.1.3).

I was able to reproduce the behavior on different accounts.

When Openfire is successfully connected to a Microsoft AD (might be the same for any LDAP) and no group is on the shared roster, you log in on one account and add several users by hand and confirm them.

When you now enable the shared roster for said user(s) for any LDAP-Managed group, the user and everyone that he added will not be able to read messages or initiate chats (either the complete window will be blank or the single messages [only the name appears on each line]). Unfortunately neither server nor client do produce any evidence of this within the log-files. The issue persists if the users initially added are removed by hand from the admin console or within the client.

If above steps do not reproduce the issue, try and use the exact same name for the manually added group and the shared group.

Cheers,

J