Openfire minimum H/w S/w Requirements

What are the Hardware and software requirements for Openfire server setup. I came across this link but it’s quite old (published in 2008). Requesting experts to share details for latest Openfire version. Thanks in advance !

Openfire Requirements

There is no official requirements and probably won’t ever be, because this is hard to predict and is mostly dependable on usage pattern. One can have 1000 users with just 500 MB of RAM, and for others 2 GB of RAM might not be enough for just 100 users. All i can say is that CPU and hard disk are not important. RAM is most important here because Openfire uses Java, which is memory heavy and it uses caches a lot (which sit in memory).

Software wise it runs on many platforms (Linux, Windows, etc.).

Hi wroot, thanks for the prompt response but i am still looking for more inputs.

Are there no RAM benchmarks against concurrent users, similar to below (published long back @ Openfire Requirements) . Need not be very accurate (in fact it can’t be) but it helps in estimation. Thanks.

Concurrent Users

Recommendation

1-500

At least 384 MB of available RAM and one 1.5 GHz processor.

501-10,000

At least 768 MB of available RAM and one 3.0 GHz processor.

10,001-25,000

At least 1.5 GB of available RAM, two 3 GHz processors, and one connection manager on the same machine.

25,001-100,000

At least 2.0 GB of available RAM, two 3 GHz processors, and between 1 and 4 connection managers based on exact size, each on their own equivalent machine.

Here’s a user sharing his synthetic tests. Maybe this can be useful OpenFire Single Server Load Testing 120,000 Concurrent Connections

As an example, my production server with ~150 online users (Windows Server R2 x64 with 2 GB of RAM and 1 virtual CPU on Xeon E5-2620 Hyper-V host) is generating CPU usage of 1-4% during 3 months span. Memory usage is between 1-1.5 GB with 1200 MB on average. I have set Openfire’s JVM to 512-1024 MB though. It probably would use less by default, but at some point i started to have JVM memory exhaustion problems, so i have tweaked JVM’s memory settings.