I get username/password login error on the latest Spark devs builds!

Hi guys,

I don’t know if this is the place to submit this issue. I just want to report this problem!! I never had this issue until I start to install new dev builds after 2.7.7 Build 810 !!

I’ve been using/testing all the dev builds of spark since I can remember. Since the last official build, 2.7.7 Build 810, I simply can’t login to my server. When I try to login I get an error login message saying that username or password is incorrect!!! I think that something has changed on the client side… I also notice that there’s also a new option on the login, something about certificates, I’ve tried to tick and untick but the I get the same error login.

Beside this problem, I found out another bug. If I revert back to an official build after installing the new dev build, when I try to start spark, spark won’t simply start. I fired up Task Manager to see what’s going on, and I realized that Spark would appear on task manager for a few seconds but then would exit!!! The app doesn’t even get to be drawn on screen!!

After that, even if I install a recent dev build or an older official build, it would do the same!! After many installs, I realized that I had first to uninstall Spark and then I could install an official build and I could get start spark just fine!!!

Does anyone get the same?!?

P.S. - Using latest official Win10 x64 build with latest java 8 version. The same for Openfire, latest official version with latest java 8 version

There is a lot of work being done on the new dev builds of spark. One of our awesome volunteers is working on upgrading smack. Its likely you will encounter more than a few bugs!

Having said that, make sure you have the “accept all certificates” checked, if you are using openfires self-signed cert. Also, make sure you have your actual xmpp domain in the server field, and not the hostname or ip address. If you need to connect by hostname or IP, then you’ll want to add that info general tab under connection.

1 Like

Many thkx for the explanations, but still, after installing again the latest dev build, having “accept all certificates” checked I still can’t login. I still don’t know where to look for the “if you are using openfires self-signed cert” on my Openfire server. Can you tell me what is the option on Openfire??

Also, make sure you have your actual xmpp domain in the server field, and not the hostname or ip address. If you need to connect by hostname or IP, then you’ll want to add that info general tab under connection.

I already, changed my xmpp.domain on the Openfire server to my domain (ie. not the ip address) and changed on the spark settings but still no luck…

Going to revert back to the last official build

This also may be related to Java (1.8.0_74+) Connection issues after Spark 2.7.5 Build 770

Smack update was in 817 build. So “Accept all certificates” is only needed for 817 and newer builds.

As about the “bug” with downgrading. This is just how it is. Installer of the older version just copies the files that it knows, but there are some files of the newer version still in place, so it creates a mess. Actually when you install the newest build it doesn’t remove files, which are not included in that newest build either. E.g. we have removed inclusion of linux libraries folder in Windows installer. But if you already had one, it will stay there when upgrading. The best way is to do uninstall and clean install.

About the “bug” when downgrading, I got it, all I have to do is a clean install, but what about the connection problems?!
Can someone tell me what options do I have to have on my server in order to connect?! I don’t want to get stuck to the 2.7.7 release forever…

Have you read that thread and tried to use older Java (jre folder from older versions of Spark)? You can also check error and warn logs at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spark\logs