Website restructuring

[WEB-45] Rearrange projects on the Project and Downloads page - IgniteRealtime JIRA

This is bugging me for some time. On the Projects page we are emphasizing our main project. Openfire, Spark and… SparkWeb (which is not maintained or developed for 8 years). I think it should be pushed from that prominent place. I propose to just hide it on the projects page. There will still be source and download entry as well as sub-forum available. Or we can move it to the bottom of the page, but then we will need to introduce new section as it is not a library. I would also hide XIFF API from there as it is already moved to discontinued in the forums and it doesn’t seem to revive. But as it is not in front, it doesn’t bother me that much.

I would also like to promote Smack to have a bigger placeholder like Openfire and Spark have. Although it is a library and having a section Libraries will not have much sense (maybe renaming to “other projects” instead).

Next. Dele is still listed as Lead developer for SparkWeb, which is not true and it could be changed to “Vacant”. Maybe this way someone will decide to take the lead at some point, by seeing that nobody is in charge of this project.

Third. Move SparkWeb to the bottom on the downloads page. So only active projects are at the top and in the focus.

As this is mostly just html stuff moving around i should be able to do this all myself. Just need some feedback from others on that.

[WEB-34] Update Sources download page - IgniteRealtime JIRA

Sources page needs some maintenance also. We have zip and tar.gz links to sources (i guess they are copied to the site when Bamboo builds a new build). But there are no links for all the projects and… one can already download the sources from Github. So, do we need to duplicate that? Maybe we can just expand the Github section instead providing links to repositories for all the projects (and links to nightly builds for all the projects having such). I see that someone has already removed the obsolete SVN links, so that’s done.

[WEB-46] Support page and Webchat widget modification - IgniteRealtime JIRA

Out Support page is looking very old and obsolete. It suggest Professional support is available and list some old articles. Some suggest to remove this menu/page completely (which would be easier) or strip it down to just a webchat with developers. Although this widget is already shown on many pages, so maybe there is no need to devote a separate page for it. Webchat widget needs its text fixing also. The site is also showing an additional menu every Wednesday when the old chat with the developers was scheduled. Not sure how to remove that.

[WEB-47] Update front and about pages - IgniteRealtime JIRA

Front page and about page shows some old information like articles and whitepapers which are ages old. Also texts on the front and about pages could be edited to be up to date.

Works for me. Go for it.

Yes please. SparkWeb is already flagged as discontinued on the community page. I have not coded ActionScript in over 5 years and probably forgotten how to built a Flash based project. If you could highlight other active projects on the igniterealtime Github main page like the REST API or even Openfire Meetings, that would be brilliant

I have submitted WEB-45 Rearrange projects by wrooot · Pull Request #12 · igniterealtime/IgniteRealtime-Website · GitHub

Moving Smack project forward, moving SparkWeb to the bottom of the list and adding “(discontinued)” to SparkWeb and XIFF. I have also deleted “API” for all projects as we don’t add it on the downloads page and it is not part of the name. Though i know what it means, but it is already explained in the description of the project. Also, library is not exactly same as API, i think. It’s the set of APIs. I have just noticed that on the projects pages there is also that word. But i will wait on feedback, whether i should remove it everywhere or put it back on the Projects page (btw, on Github we also just call them e.g. Whack, Tinder, etc.).

Dele, i have freed you from SparkWeb But i’m not sure about putting Rest API and Openfire Meetings on the projects page. They are Openfire plugins and all plugins are listed on the Plugins page. They are sub-projects of the main project. Anyway, i’m not against Openfire Meetings having its own project page, but that’s a bit too much for me to do and not in the scope of this ticket.

Btw, while doing changes i have recalled another old ticket of mine [WEB-34] Update Sources download page - IgniteRealtime JIRA

Sources page needs some maintenance also. We have zip and tar.gz links to sources (i guess they are copied to the site when Bamboo builds a new build). But there are no links for all the projects and… one can already download the sources from Github. So, do we need to duplicate that? Maybe we can just expand the Github section instead providing links to repositories for all the projects (and links to nightly builds for all the projects having such). I see that someone has already removed the obsolete SVN links, so that’s done.

Thanks. Let’s leave them mentioned as Openfire Plugings.

Ok, i have moved stuff around. But, i’m not a css pro and as i can’t test changes on the fly it is hard to tune a few things. I have added an xmpp logo for Smack, Tinder, Whack and XIFF projects (png). But it is a bit wider and shorter than other icons, so it looks a bit out of place (too high) on the projects page. Also i have split other and discontinued projects at the bottom, but don’t know how to line up the properly. Maybe someone will fix that at some point

Added

[WEB-46] Support page and Webchat widget modification - IgniteRealtime JIRA

Out Support page is looking very old and obsolete. It suggest Professional support is available and list some old articles. Some suggest to remove this menu/page completely (which would be easier) or strip it down to just a webchat with developers. Although this widget is already shown on many pages, so maybe there is no need to devote a separate page for it. Webchat widget needs its text fixing also. The site is also showing an additional menu every Wednesday when the old chat with the developers was scheduled. Not sure how to remove that.

[WEB-47] Update front and about pages - IgniteRealtime JIRA

Front page and about page shows some old information like articles and whitepapers which are ages old. Also texts on the front and about pages could be edited to be up to date.