Need help on making pull requests and approving requests on Git

So, i’m not a developer by any means, but i thought i can fix a minor visual glitch in Spark and i have done and tested this in Netbens (connected to Spark’s Git repository):

SPARK-1604

I have also found old pull request waiting for approving Show JID as contact name if instead an empty string would have been show… by rarog · Pull Request #10 · igniterealtime…

filed this as SPARK-1607

So, as we don’t have a maintainer for Spark currently. Can someone add me as one for Spark project at Git, so i could approve pull requests? Yeah, i won’t be able check the code and its quality, so i would instead try to test the changes after building Spark. And we don’t have choice here as nobody else takes the charge. I would resign as soon as someone more competent applies for this position. My username at GitHub is wrooot (see my comment on that request). wroot was already taken

Next i want some insight on how to commit my own change. Can i do this via web on github site? The change is trivial (changing two numbers in two lines in one file). I know that almost noone is using Netbeans here, and i still plan to try Eclipse in the future, but maybe i will find similar commands in Netbeans if you hint me. I see options to Git > Commit, or Git > Deff to Base revision (see last change by Daryl there). Or should i just generate an offline diff patch and attach it to Jira for someone else to commit?

Also, how commits on Git get connected to Jira tickets?

Daryl, thanks for adding me on Git

I went and done my change via web on Git. Woohoo, my first pull request and merge! Too many things in two days

I for one hail our new Spark overlord!

Thanks

Ok, i have figured out that commits get linked automatically, if a ticket name is mentioned in the commit description. The only thing left is to find out how to use Netbeans for commits (or start using Eclipse), but i can do changes via web for now.

There is a open source licence for Intellij available (although it is in the process of being renewed). That might be even easier than Netbeans or Eclipse.

I’ve tried IntelliJ IDEA, but couldn’t find a way to build a project. Also it needed a separate install of Git binaries to use GitHub and frankly it was similarly bloated and heavy launching as Netbeans. So i’ve switched to Eclipse, got it running, connected to Git, pushed a patch. Everything works smoothly