javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found

Connection closed with error

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found.

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(OpenSSLSocketImpl.ja va:306)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.waitForHandshake(OpenSSLSocketImpl. java:598)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.getInputStream(OpenSSLSocketImpl.ja va:560)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.initReaderAndWriter(XMPPTCPConnect ion.java:620)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnecti on.java:720)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$900(XMPPTCPConnection.java: 137)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPC onnection.java:981)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$200(XMPPTCPCon nection.java:915)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnecti on.java:930)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found.

at com.android.org.conscrypt.TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(TrustManagerImpl.java:3 18)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(TrustManagerImpl. java:219)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.Platform.checkServerTrusted(Platform.java:113)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.verifyCertificateChain(OpenSSLSocke tImpl.java:525)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.NativeCrypto.SSL_do_handshake(Native Method)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(OpenSSLSocketImpl.ja va:302)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.waitForHandshake(OpenSSLSocketImpl. java:598)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.getInputStream(OpenSSLSocketImpl.ja va:560)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.initReaderAndWriter(XMPPTCPConnect ion.java:620)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnecti on.java:720)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$900(XMPPTCPConnection.java: 137)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPC onnection.java:981)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$200(XMPPTCPCon nection.java:915)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnecti on.java:930)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found.

at com.android.org.conscrypt.TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(TrustManagerImpl.java:3 18)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(TrustManagerImpl. java:219)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.Platform.checkServerTrusted(Platform.java:113)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.verifyCertificateChain(OpenSSLSocke tImpl.java:525)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.NativeCrypto.SSL_do_handshake(Native Method)

at com.android.org.conscrypt.OpenSSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(OpenSSLSocketImpl.ja va:302)

how can i fix this issure?

thanks in advance

Not sure if it helps, but have you looked at this?

https://developer.android.com/training/articles/security-ssl.html

My simple android code :

/**

• connect to xmpp server

*/

private void connectXMPPServer() {

XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration config = XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration.builder()

.setUsernameAndPassword(“yuexl”, “123456”)

.setServiceName(“haihongmacdemacbook-pro.local”)

.setHost(“192.168.1.105”)

.setPort(5222)

.build();

try {

AbstractXMPPConnection conn2 = new XMPPTCPConnection(config);

conn2.connect();

}catch (Exception ex){

Log.i(TAG,ex.getMessage());

}

}

Did i miss something important?

I assume you are using your own ssl certificates, may be self signed.

for testing purpose you can disable SSL in your server and complete your testing and use cases and later you can worry about SSL certificates

I have disable SSL in server,

how can i disable SASLAuthentication in android client? like old version :

connectionConfig.setSASLAuthenticationEnabled(false); // I could not find this method now in XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration

SASL is different and SSL is different

SSL handshake happens at the protocol level inside the socket programs

SASL is the XMPP life cycle which happens by sending and receiving XML tags like DIGEST-MD5, ETERNAL… etc

if you want to disable SASL, you can use following code

.setSecurityMode(SecurityMode.disabled) in your configuration builder

for SSL ignoring, temporary you can use following code (but I would recommend you switch to a proper signed SSL certificate)

TLSUtils.acceptAllCertificates(config)

TLSUtils.disableHostnameVerificationForTlsCertificicates(config)

1 Like

if you want to disable SASL, you can use following code

.setSecurityMode(SecurityMode.disabled) in your configuration builder

No, security mode controls if TLS will be used or not. It has nothing to do with SASL.

SASL is always used to authenticate the client.

1 Like

as per the code Smack/AbstractXMPPConnection.java at master · igniterealtime/Smack · GitHub line 1396

saslFeatureReceived.reportSuccess(); is triggered in case the config.getSecurityMode() == SecurityMode.disabled

I am not sure, may be I am wrong

I have set setSecurityMode(SecurityMode.disabled)
but i can not connect to openfire server, is there anyway to let me connect to openfire server
I installed openfire in my mac pro,and use android studio dev tools.I wrote code the same as in smack doc,but i can not connect…
can you give me some tips or guides, thank you very much

Yep, you are misinterpreting the code. That’s basically the logic in Smack that the sasl feature where received here if TLS is not used.

I would recomend you try BOSH using smack-bosh

ConnectionConfiguration config = new ConnectionConfiguration(“openfire-hostname”, 5222);

config.setSASLAuthenticationEnabled(false);

config.setSecurityMode(SecurityMode.disabled);

Hello, have you solved this problem, I have come across this problem today.