Openfire log suitable for fail2ban

If I want block bruteforce attack I usually use fail2ban.

cat /opt/openfire/logs/info.log:

2015.02.06 13:33:08 org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication - User Login Failed. PLAIN authentication failed for: green.bus

But no IP address! Nothing to ban!

As I can see from Enable fail2ban to monitor openfire login logs. there is “fix” to change log content:

Then I’ve modified org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication,

before

Line 288
 Log.info("User Login Failed. " + e.getMessage());

after

Log.info("User Login Failed. " + e.getMessage() + " " + session.getHostAddress());

//add try/catch around this line, because getHostAddress() might throw an exception

This will provide us with everything fail2ban needs - an IP address and the time

2012.04.13 15:40:44 org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication - User Login Failed. PLAIN authentication failed for: test@192.168.253.5 IP: 192.168.253.10

But I don’t understand how to change property org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication! Where is this property must be changed/placed?

Could you help me!

It is not an option, it is the actual source code of the server which is in that example. If you want to follow this, you have to download server’s source code, alter it and compile your own version of the server.

Sorry for delay with answer…

It is very unuseful and very strange because of security of the service available over public internet must be important

Thank you!

I’m not saying is this bad or good, just explaining the situation. If you will provide a final patch (in diff format), it will be filed in bug tracker system and then one of the developers will evaluate this (maybe). Though some users (admins) might not want to register IP addresses because of their users privacy concerns. So maybe this should be optional.

Ok, second variant:

/opt/openfire/lib/log4j.xml define log format.

For example:

Note string %d{yyyy.MM.dd HH:mm:ss} %c - %m%n:

2015.02.27 09:09:55 org.jivesoftware.admin.LoginLimitManager - Failed admin console login attempt by admin from 192.168.2.111

%m%n ->

Failed admin console login attempt by admin from 192.168.2.111

May be there are another options exept %m and %n ?

Or this is only method to see, but not catch events?

Added:

There is another log options file: /opt/openfire/jre/lib/logging.properties

(by the way, executable! -rwxr-xr-x )

But I don’t know if there is wrong way to solve my queston…

Added 2:

May it be possible to compile only one module and replace it on working server or not? If yes, could you explain me how? I never compile from sources…

I’m not a developer myself, can’t help with compiling.

May be others…