Can't Stop Openfire without Closing Command Prompt Manually

Thanks for the help.

So, I must be extremely dumb when it comes to Openfire, or something else as I can’t stop Openfire from running without closing the command prompt manually, but hey easy points for you.

This was the guide I was trying to use.

Openfire: Installation Guide

I can get it started by extracting Openfire in the target, then going to the bin file and calling start Openfire, which looks like something below.

C:\> cd Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin> Start Openfire

Pretty simple enough, another command prompt opens up which shows that Openfire has started. However, when I tried to stop it with something like this.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\bin> Stop Openfire
'Stop' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I can’t get it to stop.

I need to be able to easily start Openfire and stop it. The end goal was to have a customized Openfire that could be run as a service. I realize that that the default version of Openfire comes with a service, but from what I can see there’s no way to create one yourself with the source so I seem restricted to the batch file. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I think that Windows binary doesn’t have any switches. It just launches the java.exe process hosting the server process. You can use:

taskkill /IM java.exe

to kill that other process window with the name “Openfire”. Of course, if you are not running any other java applications.