Migration to JiveX (cloud)?

SBS has some new features like What Matters and better mobile support.

Using 5.0 we will likely get a new design, some things may be harder to find. At least that was my impression when jivesoftware.com did update.

Do you also want to use 5.0 here?

Update: JiveX has even more features.

What makes you think Jive will bother upgrading us? As about 5.0, i don’t know. Maybe you can get used to it, but it looks too flat and unproductive. What Matters screen is not appealing to me. I prefer my current start screen with the widgets i want and placed the way i prefer. Unless 5.0 will let me have the same layout, but i can’t find such option in Jive Community. So this can make my day to day activities harder (more clicks and loading pages) as i usually need to see recent content (discussions, docs, etc.), my bookmarks by hand, some links to communities, docs, blogs and all the menu stuff with PM (and PM is gone in 5.0 as i remember, though there is Send Direct Message, but that’s abit different), Admin Console, Notifications etc. I remember how excited i was when we first moved to SBS. I’m not excited about 5.0 though.

We can at least have some patches for 4.5. Like this https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-46922

I have no preference for either version. I’m not sure if both are still supported. This might be of interest for security-related bugfixes and the like.

Benjamin indicated that he would gladly update us, if somebody helped with any JSP updates that were necessary. Jive is very generous with their support of this site, so I think it is a good idea to keep current with their software.

1 Like

Maybe at Jive it is not allowed for users to change Home screen layout? Can someone confirm that or give an example of a community using 5.0 so i can login in there and play with the settings?

Unless 5.0 will let me have the same layout, but i can’t find such option in Jive Community. So this can make my day to day activities harder …
This may be the case, so we must not update if the price is too high.

5.0 still has a Recent Content widget which shows all (I hope) content.

It has a /bookmarks page which contains all bookmarks, so maybe there is also a small widget to add everything to a custom overview page.

“@PM” … good point, I’ll create a requirements document so we can make sure that we don’t forget important things.

“@patches” - there are a lot but which one would help us? As long as 4.5.8 is only a nice-to-have version I’m happy to stay with this one.

One of the ignite servers may have enough free resources to get a fresh 5.x version installed, or maybe we can access one of the hosted sandboxes.

The EOL dates for both versions are nearly the same:

EOL for 4.5 is 15.4.2013

EOL for 5.0 is 30.6.2013

Then maybe we should wait for 6.0? I believe in 4.5.7 were some performance and RTE fixes.

I’m missing the Jive6/7 features here. As our code moves to the cloud/github we could update to JiveX and enjoy automatic community updates every n months.

@mention, direct messages within multiple users, mobile access were cool and are now std. features.

Anyone who still wants to use this stable but outdated version?

LG, Benjamin plans to move us to jiveon sooner than later.

daryl

Is this Jive 6? https://community.jivesoftware.com

Where can i see or try Jive 7, JiveX or this Jiveon? I can’t see bookmarks menu anywhere on the site above, so how can i pin some stuff for quick access (other than searching)? I can create a bookmark to a website, but i want to bookmark discussions and documents. Also i don’t see an option to customize my view, unless they have restricted this to users (i’m logged in with my js.com account).

I’m always anoyed with the little “bugs” I experience. I use primarly the forum, and for some reason

• Chrome’s spell check does not work
  • X primary paste does not work
  • sometimes the HTML formating of the posts is broken, i.e. WYSIWYG is simply not true

I believe these issues have the same cause

Furthermore I really miss the markup/GUI of posts that the Stackexchange sites and discourse provide. Discourse also has a superior quote and reply feature that I find very useful, because you can’t split the quote into multiple parts, which seems not possible here.

To sum up: I’m unable to prevent you from reading my spelling mistakes. It’s cumbersome to copy code examples and even more cumbersome to format them in a nice way. And it’s nearly impossible to get a good threading discussion going.

Therefore I would be more than happy to try a new version.

Hey guys – Jive Community is in the process of being migrated over to the latest release. I’m guessing Benjamin can get a JiveX evaluation setup. I gave him the thumbs up on the Jive side for the upgrade/support on it. Would love to see it happen!

There’s supposed to be a spellcheck?

Lol, that would help me out a lot!

Markup for posting code would be really great. I’m not a huge fan of the way StackOverflow does it, having to indent 4 spaces, since pasting a blob of code rarely is in exactly the right format. I prefer the way a lot of code forums do it, using a tag block.

But, I’ll take what I can get

Yep, since switching to Jive SBS (was Jive Forums before) it bugged me that built in browser spellcheck wasn’t working (in Firefox too). Well, there is a separate button for this in the editor, but it is not real-time. I see that browser spellcheck works with the Jive 6 at least.

Jason wrote:

I’m not a huge fan of the way StackOverflow does it, having to indent 4 spaces, since pasting a blob of code rarely is in exactly the right format. I prefer the way a lot of code forums do it, using a tag block.

Yep, that’s the only flaw of markdown.

Jive / JiveX Winter Release = https://preview-jive.jiveon.com/ - new registration required.

https://community.jivesoftware.com/community/products/blog/2014/02/07/introducin g-jive-and-jivex-winter-2014-releases

The difference to the Jive 6 layout is small, noticeably there are more functions like RTC (not based on XMPP), Needful Things aka Purposeful Places, metrics, outdated documents, better search (still far away from Google results if one asks me), mobile support out of the box, FB and Twitter integration.

Ryans Essential Plugins are no longer supported, so there will be no QuickLinks as far as I can tell.

Bookmarking of docs and threads is still possible, but the access to bookmarks is still horrible (Search->Bookmarks – Content->Bookmarks does not work).

Loading the main page completely seems to take now even longer (about 20s), this is something Jive must look into.

Jive preview denied my registration

Wonder if switching to a newer version will fix that mailer is often sending email notifications about replies with wrong “created by NAME”. Like it says create by LG, though someone else indeed posted the reply.

LOL! I’ve always wondered about that.

JiveX is the current version. Anyhow the web pages must be adjusted to display the blogs etc.