Help ! OpenFire crashes while configuring!

Hello,

When I confirm the database parameters in the web interface, I get this…

I tried to configure it almost only with default parameters.

It’s openfire-3.6.4-1.i386.rpm under SLES 10SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Denis

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:42)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
     at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

Hello,

I’m really dispaired, I am the single one where OpenFire bugs ?

If anyone could give me some advice it would be great !

Denis

What database do you select in the setup? And do yo have write permissions on /openfire folder and subfolders?

Hello,

It the same problem wheter I choose internal databse or external (mysql)…

It’s the “Administrator account” step/page which crashes

Denis

And about the rights, everything was installed by the rpm automatically and all rights seems correct.

(Everything was installed with owner / rwx “daemon” and openfire is running under “daemon” user)

Maybe I should add that the first time I tried to install it, I choosed “french” as a language, but now if I choose english it still crash…

And now I found the config file, it’s in :

• /opt/openfire/conf/openfire.xml

And some of my options are saved it, which proves it’s not a permission problem, at least…

Denis

What is saved in the openfire.xml? Do you have embedded-db folder in your installation folder when you select the internal database? You can try creating such folder manually with that user “daemon”.

Hello,

Without doing anything, that’s what I have :

a) This is my embedded-db folder :

ls -l embedded-db/

-rw-r–r-- 1 daemon daemon 411 Aug 7 00:16 openfire.properties
-rw-r–r-- 1 daemon daemon 9833 Aug 7 00:16 openfire.script

b) And this is my conf/openfire.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 9090 9091 en org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider com.mysql.jdbc.Driver jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire openfire ****** select 1 true true 5 25 1.0

Your openfire.xml is missing the last tags true. That’s probably because it never finishes. I see your external mysql settings are here. Try this: stop Openfire and change connectio provider tag to this:

org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider

Then start Openfire and try to select the internal db. Or you can do a fresh install and try the embedded-db for the first time.

Ok I tried but whatever I do on the database step, it seems to work and the config file is saved.

But whatever I do it crashed on “Admin account” with the same error.

Another strange point, even if everything is saved and comes back later, the Server Settings / domain is not saved ?

OK I even tried to uninstall openfire, delete all files, reinstall :

rpm -i openfire-3.6.4-1.i386.rpm

openfire 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:off 5:on 6:off

etc/init.d/openfire start
Starting openfire:

w3m http://localhost:9090
English

Embedded

Profile Default
BUG !!!

Denis

P.S. This is the error :

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
¢ at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspSe rvice(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)
¢ at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
¢ at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
¢ at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:42)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843 )
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)