Whack weather example usage

ez all

i’m pretty new with whack and i have some perplexities about the weather example…i built it, run it: now what? how i can use it? i suppose i have to write a client plugin but…

thanks!

Hi, for testing you can use Psi for example, add your weather component in your buddy list and send him a message with a weather station from http://weather.noaa.gov/ (see the attached screenshot).But for a comfortable usage, yeah, maybe you can write a client

I read that the weather example was in a sample folder in the source. I downloaded the source zip and did not find it.

Q: Where are you getting the weather example these days?

Thanks,

You can get it via subversion

svn co http://svn.igniterealtime.org/svn/repos/whack/trunk whack

But currently I think you can’t compile the trunk if you don’t fix some old references. See my attached patch to compile and run the actual revision (11087).

Best regards
weatherSample.path (2244 Bytes)

I changed the whack.jar build compile target includes in order to pick up the xmpp classes. That allowed me to use whack.jar in my component project. I hope I’m on the right track…

Thanks!

1. I rebuild whack.jar from SVN - just needed to modify the build.xml to include more classes in whack.jar.

2. I got the weather sample to compile against these jars:

commons-httpclient.jar

dom4j.jar

jweather.jar

tinder-1.0.0.jar

xpp3.jar
commons-logging.jar

jakarta-oro.jar

log4j.jar

whack.jar

1. When I try to run the weather example I get:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jivesoftware/stringprep/IDNA
at org.xmpp.packet.JID.init(JID.java:369)
at org.xmpp.packet.JID.(JID.java:248)
at org.jivesoftware.whack.ExternalComponentManager.addComponent(ExternalComponentM anager.java:212)
at org.jivesoftware.whack.ExternalComponentManager.addComponent(ExternalComponentM anager.java:191)
at org.jivesoftware.weather.ExternalWeatherComponent.main(ExternalWeatherComponent .java:32)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.stringprep.IDNA
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
… 5 more

1. It looks like the missing class is required by the tinder jar. My goal is to run the weather example.

Woops, sorry - found stringprep.jar to fix my runtime problem

Weather example is running, thanks!

Hi @ayyrk,

Where did you find this stringprep.jar file ?

Thanks in advance.

I fixed the current trunk version of whack for the updated API and libraries.

Got to bump this discussion up.

I just downloaded the whack trunk from svn (rev 12148), it seems I cannot build it using ant.

pongells:build fusionove$ ant
Buildfile: /Users/fusionove/whack/build/build.xml compile:
    [javac] Compiling 21 source files to /Users/fusionove/whack/target/classes
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:23: package org.eclipse.jetty.server does not exist
    [javac] import org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server;
    [javac]                                ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:24: package org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio does not exist
    [javac] import org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector;
    [javac]                                    ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:25: package org.eclipse.jetty.server.ssl does not exist
    [javac] import org.eclipse.jetty.server.ssl.SslSelectChannelConnector;
    [javac]                                    ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:26: package org.eclipse.jetty.webapp does not exist
    [javac] import org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext;
    [javac]                                ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:52: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Server
    [javac] location: class org.jivesoftware.whack.container.ServerContainer
    [javac]     private Server jetty;
    [javac]             ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:105: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Server
    [javac]             jetty = new Server();
    [javac]                         ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:115: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class SelectChannelConnector
    [javac]             SelectChannelConnector connector0 = new SelectChannelConnector();
    [javac]             ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:115: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class SelectChannelConnector
    [javac]             SelectChannelConnector connector0 = new SelectChannelConnector();
    [javac]                                                     ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:131: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class SslSelectChannelConnector
    [javac]                           SslSelectChannelConnector listener = new SslSelectChannelConnector();
    [javac]                           ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:131: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class SslSelectChannelConnector
    [javac]                           SslSelectChannelConnector listener = new SslSelectChannelConnector();
    [javac]                                                                    ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:192: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class WebAppContext
    [javac]             WebAppContext webapp = new WebAppContext();
    [javac]             ^
    [javac] /Users/fusionove/whack/source/java/org/jivesoftware/whack/container/ServerContainer.java:192: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class WebAppContext
    [javac]             WebAppContext webapp = new WebAppContext();
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    [javac] 12 errors BUILD FAILED
/Users/fusionove/whack/build/build.xml:95: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details. Total time: 2 seconds
pongells:build fusionove$

Any suggestion here?

Thanks.

Oh well, I just downloaded the whole jetty distribution and put each jar inside the lib/merge folder… not sure wether this was a good idea, but it worked.

The Whack 1.0.jar which can be found on this website doesn’t work anymore (missing Log class, at least) - maybe someone should update it?

For this weather example, the jweather.jar was missing, too.

I have another solution for compiling the Whack library.Just download “jetty-all-server-7.0.2.RC0.jar” and add build/ merge and run the ant file. This worked for me and had written a sample external component and thats working fine.

Yeah Sagar, I did something similar, except I used the jar’s from the openfire trunk, I had to add the following jars to the build/merge directory like you did:

jetty-server.jar

jetty-http.jar

jetty-util.jar

jetty-webapp.jar

jetty-servlet.jar

compiles now.