Email Listener plugin woes "Test Failed." - Where does it log to?

Hi,

When I try to use the e-mail listener plugin to monitor an e-mail account that is hosted on a Zimbra 5.x server, it doesn’t work. When I tell the email listener plugin to “Test Settings”, it just says “Test Failed.”.

This happens on port 143 without SSL and also port 993 with SSL. I have confirmed that the Openfire server can resolve the Zimbra server’s IP and connect to it’s IMAP port.

On the Zimbra server there’s no evidence of an IMAP connection being attempted from the Openfire server.

I can’t work out where the email listener plugin sends it’s output to. Does it have it’s own log file ?

I tried turning on debugging in Openfire and looked into the debug.log but there’s nothing in there, either.

Has anyone tested this plugin with an e-mail address that’s hosted on a Zimbra 5.x server ?

Where does the plugin log to ?

Update:

I am experiencing the same problem when the IMAP account I want to listen to is on a Plesk server, so the fact that the original issue was occurring on a Zimbra-based e-mail account seems irrelevant.

I’d be very grateful for any guidance re: where the listener logs to and if it should work.

I populate the server and account info, specify port 143 and no SSL, and save settings. When I click “Test Settings” I just get “Test Failed.”

I have conducted further testing.

It doesn’t matter if the IMAP account I want to monitor is on a Zimbra, Plesk or Cpanel server or if I try a gmail account. In all cases I save the settings, and click the option to do a test and I get “Test Failed”.

It doesn’t matter if I do port 993 with SSL or plain text IMAP via port 143.

I have verified that the Openfire server can resolve DNS and that it can connect to the mail server’s IMAP service, so DNS / firewall issues do not seem to be the issue.

I have tested that the login credentials, i.e. mail server address, e-mail address and password are valid.

Openfire’s debug.log doesn’t show anything meaningful about this plugin’s activities.

I have tested it on two Openfire servers now. One is 3.4.5 and the other is 3.5.0 RC1.

Both servers have in common that they run fully updated CentOS5, x86_64.

I have not seen many complaints about this plugin so it seems to work for most people. I am totally puzzled.

centrex wrote:

I have conducted further testing.

I have not seen many complaints about this plugin so it seems to work for most people. I am totally puzzled.

You are not the only one. I can successfully test and then it works for some time. Somehow after a random period of time, it simply stops working. I am using gmail’s imap service.

Sorry for not being able to help…

I found that the standard error.log file is where the listener plugin is logging to, so I have some new information now.

When the plugin initializes, there are some interesting entries. Note that I am connecting via plaintext to standard IMAP4, not SSL:

2008.03.14 18:20:28 org.jivesoftware.openfire.plugin.emailListener.EmailListener.openFolder(EmailLis tener.java:281) *Error while initializing email listener*

javax.mail.MessagingException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?;

nested exception is:

javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?

Have you found a resolution to this? I am having the same problem. Email listener works the first time then spits out errors and won’t work again until its been restarted. Oddly enough, as others have found here, you will get “test failed” trying to enable SSL with gmail but it seems to work without it checked, at least the first time. This plugin has been out a while. Someone must have a fix to this. I am running the latest openfire btw 3.6.0 any chance I need to have an older version of openfire for email listener to work right? (like 3.4)

Hear, Hear, I have the same issue. Test Failed no matter what we try. Can we try to compare and see what is common between our setups?

In /var/log/openfire/error.log, I see the following error message when trying to connect using plaintext IMAP, port 143 on an exchange server:

2009.07.28 11:22:30 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.plugin.emailListener.EmailListener.openFolder(EmailL istener.java:281)] Error while initializing email listener
javax.mail.MessagingException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?;

And the following error message when trying to connect using SSL IMAP, port 993 on an exchange server:

2009.07.28 11:58:27 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.plugin.emailListener.EmailListener.openFolder(EmailL istener.java:281)] Error while initializing email lis
tener
javax.mail.MessagingException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.util.SimpleSSLSocketFactory;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.util.SimpleSSLSocketFactory

Other things of note:

We are using LDAP integration on Openfire 3.6.4.