Smack 4.2.1-beta2-SNAPSHOT: No response received within reply timeout even when reply is received well within the specified PacketReplyTimeout

Hi Paul,

Currently the turn around time taken for pubsub on Omemo bundle from send to reply takes ~4.4 seconds (Note 3) during aTalk system testing; it will be even logger for slow device and heavily loaded server (~6.7 seconds for S3). In aTalk implemented , I use SmackConfiguration.setDefaultReplyTimeout(10000), globally setting all stanza reply timeout to 10 seconds to ensure Omemo works under all environment. However setting to 10 Sec globally, at times causes aTalk to hang in black screen for that duration before returning to user (actually in most cases, the reply timeout is found to be caused by smack unable to detect the reply received even it is within the elapsed timeout.).

I would appreciate if you would seriously consider setting the stanza reply timeout to longer (say 10 seconds) than the default smack timeout of 5 seconds temporary during omemo bundle sending. I would like to remove the aTalk approach to set globally reply timeout to 10 seconds.

================== aTalk log for Omemo Bundle Pubsub Timing ================

08-09 09:06:08.859 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

BX2+cFhupE

08-09 09:06:13.259 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

============== aTalk log - screen black out for 10 seconds even reply received (10~50ms) within timeout (~10S)================

08-09 10:34:10.539 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-09 10:34:10.589 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-09 10:34:10.869 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-09 10:34:10.879 D/SMACK: RECV (0): http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#roominfo1

08-09 10:34:20.539 E/αTalk: [16] impl.protocol.jabber.ChatRoomJabberImpl.joinAs().620 Failed to join room chatroom-9z2e@conference.atalk.org with nickname: leopard

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 10000ms (~10s). Waited for response using: AndFilter: (StanzaTypeFilter: Presence, OrFilter: (AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (ignoreResourcepart): chatroom-9z2e@conference.atalk.org, MUCUserStatusCodeFilter: status=110), AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): chatroom-9z2e@conference.atalk.org/leopard, StanzaIdFilter: id=s311k-261, PresenceTypeFilter: type=error))).

at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:2 53)

08-09 10:34:20.879 W/System.err: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 10000ms (~10s). Waited for response using: IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=s311k-265)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): chatroom-9z2e@conference.atalk.org)).

08-09 10:34:20.879 W/System.err: at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:2 53)

Hi cmeng!

The timeout is caused by a carbon listener being registered synchronously, causing the packet reader thread to block. There is already a fix in the current 4.2 branch (2e61e0a4d333688187aa257a65bafe6783f80519). I don’t know when this will be available in the maven repository, but you could build 4.2 yourself in order to test, if this fixes your problem

Thanks for the information and update. Currently I am facing other problems even from android studio

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/64425255

Still trying to see if I am able to do something to avoid the problem.

To build smack from source, I found out previously that I cannot just build the only module that is being affected, but need to build all the smack modules. This is because all smack modules have inter-dependency specified; and AS/gradle complain duplication if I just swap out one smack module. I try not to doing this, unless it is really unavoidable.

Hopefully smack will release a snapshot internally before I release next version 0.8.7 for atalk.

Look like the smack reply timeout is more serious in aTalk application operation. Beside black out the device screen, the user is also failed in joining the chat room either locally newly created chat room or invited from buddy; the reply timeout is 100% failure in atalk conference setup. Hopefully smack will release a SNAPSHOT fix soon.

I try to build the smack 4.2 libraries as a plugin in aTalk, but there are so many built options in the gradle.build file. The AS gradle sync process just gives missing source error one after the other.

I proceed to build smack libraries from source pulled from branch 4.2 (f7ae216138ce6588377a165f484a20ed5bfe7c53)

GitHub - igniterealtime/Smack at 4.2

last change log: Merge remote-tracking branch ‘ignite/4.2’ into 4.2.

to be included in aTalk testing. However the reported problem in this thread i.e.response reply timeout even when reply has been resolved remains unresolved.

Hm, good to know, thank you .

In three weeks or so I’m available to OMEMO again, until then I really appreciate how you keep searching for the issue .

Hi Paul,

I compare my current source checkout from the branch 4.2 and smack-4.2.1-beta2_SNAPSHOT source, I do not see much differences between the two. Am I testing source compiled from the wrong branch 4.2 (f7ae216138ce6588377a165f484a20ed5bfe7c53)

As for your mentioned branch “There is already a fix in the current 4.2 branch (2e61e0a4d333688187aa257a65bafe6783f80519)”, is this available to the public? What is the correct link?

With reference to the muc reply timeout at 100% failures. I traced into the MultiUserChat#enter(MucEnterConfiguration). Everything seems Ok including the responseFilter setup. Appreciate if someone can clarify the following:

responseFilter checks for “status=110”, however the reply is with multiple “status codes”.

1. Does “status” and “status codes” are irrelevant during comparison? It is just the way the log message is being displayed.

2. Does the collector iterate over all the received “status code” or just the first encountered?

Also I found that within the MultiUserChat constructor line #191

“final EntityFullJid from = presence.getFrom().asEntityFullJidIfPossible()”

here the presence.getFrom() may return null hence throw exception if executed null.asEntityFullJidIfPossible()

// Create a listener for all presence updates.
presenceListener = new StanzaListener() {
@Override
public void processStanza(Stanza packet) {
Presence presence = (Presence) packet;
final EntityFullJid from = presence.getFrom().asEntityFullJidIfPossible();
if (from == null) {
LOGGER.warning("Presence not from a full JID: " + presence.getFrom());
return;
}

// ==================================//

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 10000ms (~10s). Waited for response using: AndFilter: (StanzaTypeFilter: Presence, OrFilter: (AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (ignoreResourcepart): chatroom-9z2e@conference.atalk.org, MUCUserStatusCodeFilter: status=110), AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): chatroom-9z2e@conference.atalk.org/leopard, StanzaIdFilter: id=s311k-261, PresenceTypeFilter: type=error))).

at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:2 53)

Sorry, I haven’t noticed that you linked the latest snapshot in the title. The fix is already in that build (unfortunately it seems to not work), so the problem is probably caused by something else.

The following is the error log that I have captured. However I am not sure how genuine is the debug log; as I have been experiencing AS sometimes just throws exception randomly

(I have reported to AS in the link below. https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/64425255 )

====== Log capture with reply time out on joining chatroom =============

08-14 23:00:48.753 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] Throwing new exception ‘Attempt to invoke virtual method 'org.jxmpp.jid.Jid org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.Presence.getFrom()’ on a null object reference’ with unexpected pending exception: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 10000ms (~10s). Waited for response using: AndFilter: (StanzaTypeFilter: Presence, OrFilter: (AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (ignoreResourcepart): chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com, MUCUserStatusCodeFilter: status=110), AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com/leopard, StanzaIdFilter: id=STdAm-230, PresenceTypeFilter: type=error))).

08-14 23:00:48.753 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] at org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.Stanza org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(long) (StanzaCollector.java:253)

08-14 23:00:48.753 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] at org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.Presence org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.MultiUserChat.enter(org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.Muc EnterConfiguration) (MultiUserChat.java:355)

08-14 23:00:48.753 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] at void org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.MultiUserChat.join(org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.MucE nterConfiguration) (MultiUserChat.java:712)

08-14 23:00:48.753 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] at void org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.MultiUserChat.join(org.jxmpp.jid.parts.Resourcepart ) (MultiUserChat.java:604)

08-14 23:00:48.753 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] at void net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ChatRoomJabberImpl.joinAs(java.l ang.String, byte[]) (ChatRoomJabberImpl.java:571)

I have inserted some debug codes in both smack AbstractXMPPConnection.java and AbstractFromToMatchesFilter.java to better understand the sequence flow.

With reference to smack MultiUserChat.java#enter(MucEnterConfiguration) and the below captured log for aTalk debug messages while joining chat room.

Following are my observations and understandings. Hopefully these help the smack team to find out the root cause of the reply timeout problem during muc setup.

1. The initial send and receive of the disco#info are working properly without problem. The Stanza collector is able to report correctly the received reply.

2. Executing the “presence = connection.createStanzaCollectorAndSend(responseFilter, joinPresence).nextResultOrThrow(conf.getTimeout());”

I have checked and verified that createStanzaCollector() registered correctly and added the responseFilter to the collectors.

1. The #presenceInterceptor correctly receives and processes the SENT.

2. However the AbstractXMPPConnecor#invokeStanzaCollectorsAndNotifyRecvListeners(final Stanza) never get triggered even server has responded to the SENT .

The #presenceListener is also not being called to process the stanza (not sure if this is also expected or overridden by the collector filter setup).

1. Exception “Attempt to invoke virtual method 'org.jxmpp.jid.Jid org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.Presence.getFrom()” from log

If the above exception is in fact reflects the actual situation, look like StanzaCollector has triggered the exception somehow, hence failed to process further the RECV .

leading to reply timeout.

I am still unable to find the location where and how the received stanza is checked against the responseFilter before invokeStanzaCollectorsAndNotifyRecvListeners. Any help?

============ aTalk log when joining chatRoom =============

08-16 12:07:29.240 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-16 12:07:29.250 D/SMACK: RECV (0): http://jabber.org/network/serverinfo

08-16 12:07:29.260 W/αTalk: [6] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.invokeStanzaCollectorsAndNotifyRe cvListeners() Collector: IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=Vg0iy-216)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): conference.icrypto.com))

08-16 12:07:29.260 W/αTalk: [6] org.jivesoftware.smack.filter.AbstractFromToMatchesFilter.accept() Accept Stanza: IQ Stanza (query http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info) [to=leopard@icrypto.com/atalk,from=conference.icrypto.com,id=Vg0iy-216,type=result,]

08-16 12:07:29.270 W/αTalk: [17] org.jivesoftware.smack.filter.AbstractFromToMatchesFilter.accept() Accept Stanza: Presence Stanza [to=chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com/leopard,id=Vg0iy-215,type=available,] ### cmeng - for presenceInterceptor

08-16 12:07:29.270 D/SMACK: SENT (0): <presence to=‘chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com/leopard’ id='Vg0iy-215’>

08-16 12:07:29.310 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-16 12:07:29.310 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-16 12:07:39.430 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] Throwing new exception ‘Attempt to invoke virtual method 'org.jxmpp.jid.Jid org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.Presence.getFrom()’ on a null object reference’ with unexpected pending exception: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 10000ms (~10s). Waited for response using: AndFilter: (StanzaTypeFilter: Presence, OrFilter: (AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (ignoreResourcepart): chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com, MUCUserStatusCodeFilter: status=110), AndFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com/leopard, StanzaIdFilter: id=Vg0iy-215, PresenceTypeFilter: type=error))).

08-16 12:07:39.430 A/art: art/runtime/thread.cc:1116] at org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.Stanza org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(long) (StanzaCollector.java:253)

I decided to trace back previous aTalk releases to see when the reply timeout problem occurred

1. aTalk 0.8.1 to 0.8.4 - (smack 4.2.1-SNAPSHOT) muc setup work correctly without problem

2. aTalk 0.8.5 - (smack 4.2.1-beta2-SNAPSHOT) muc setup work correctly without problem

3. aTalk 0.8.6 - (smack 4.2.1-beta2-SNAPSHOT) muc reply timeout started

Checking on the change log, I really cannot see anything changes that can cause this problem. However I also realize that this is also the time at which I have updated the AS SDK which also shown up in debug log when aTalk starts (v0.8.6). Since the new SDK, I begin to see weird behavior during aTalk debug as reported in

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/64425255

I now wonder the problem that I see are actually due to new AS SDK built.

===== aTalk start up with new SDK compiled code =========

08-17 07:14:45.490 I/MultiDex: VM with version 1.6.0 does not have multidex support

08-17 07:14:45.490 I/MultiDex: install

08-17 07:14:45.490 I/MultiDex: MultiDexExtractor.load(/data/app/org.atalk.android-2.apk, false)

08-17 07:14:45.500 I/MultiDex: Detected that extraction must be performed.

========================

Version: 0.8.6 - change log

Author: cmeng

Upload Date: 08/05/2017

• Fix implementation error in denying OTR session setup request from buddy while OMEMO session is in progress

• Implement XEP-0084 User Avatar publishing with reflection patch for Smack PepManager.publish to support old server

• Harmonize operations between XEP-0084 User Avatar and XEP-0153 VCardAvatar for co-existence

• When XEP-0084 is enabled, omit avatar hash in presence stanza VCardTempXUpdate x-extension

• Sync main menu avatar display with user selected picture

• Delay the auto software update version check on application start up

• Remove all unused smiley java files from built

• Remove large screen landscape contactList and chatFragment side-by-side support

What you really want to do is taking a thread dump while the situation is happening: How to make Java Thread Dump in Android? - Stack Overflow

That would most likely show the culprit.

Finally, I have found the root cause.

aTalk has implemented XEP-0084: User Avatar; if the option is enabled, then the vcard-temp:x:update" (XEP-0153) will be sent as

.in all the stanza including the muc join room stanza i.e. without element.

However reply from server will be in short-form, and looks like smack does not like to see a single element without the attribute. This results to a reply timeout exception thrown by smack.

// ============ aTalk with XEP-0084 option enabled ==============

08-17 06:43:45.790 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-17 06:43:45.880 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

================== //

If I enabled the full vcard-temp:x:update" (XEP-0153) together with elements in stanza when joining room, then smack works correctly as captured in the log below.

On seeing muc with hash, aTalk tries to retrieve the avatar from MUC. However smack throws an exception again as shown in the log below.

Setting vCards / Avatars for MUC rooms | ejabberd Docs

aTalk has implemented catch, bus seems it is not captured???

try {
mVCard = vCardMgr.loadVCard((EntityBareJid) userId);
}
catch (SmackException.NoResponseException | XMPPException.XMPPErrorException
| SmackException.NotConnectedException | InterruptedException e) {
LOGGER.log(Level.WARNING, “Error while downloading VCard for: '” + userId

• "’. Exception: " + e.getMessage());
    }

============= aTalk muc setup ================

08-17 17:35:51.418 D/SMACK: SENT (0): 186f39da130310dbc59002608c56d1bd26abd72d</ph oto>

08-17 17:35:51.468 D/SMACK: RECV (0): 186f39da130310dbc59002608c56d1bd26abd72d</ph oto>

08-17 17:35:51.468 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-17 17:35:51.478 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-17 17:35:51.478 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-17 17:35:51.488 D/SMACK: SENT (0): Group Chat

08-17 17:35:51.908 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-17 17:35:51.938 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-17 17:35:51.958 D/SMACK: RECV (0): Group Chat

08-17 17:35:52.008 E/αTalk: [15] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().95 An uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[Smack-Cached Executor 1 (0),5,main] and message was: XMPP error reply received from chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com: XMPPError: item-not-found - cancel

org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$XMPPErrorException: XMPP error reply received from chatroom1234@conference.icrypto.com: XMPPError: item-not-found - cancel

at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:2 56)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:2 08)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.vcardtemp.VCardManager.loadVCard(VCardManager.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.avatar.vcardavatar.VCardAvatarManager.downloadVCard(VCa rdAvatarManager.java:186)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.avatar.vcardavatar.VCardAvatarManager.parseContactPhoto Presence(VCardAvatarManager.java:294)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.avatar.vcardavatar.VCardAvatarManager.access$300(VCardA vatarManager.java:45)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.avatar.vcardavatar.VCardAvatarManager$3.processStanza(V CardAvatarManager.java:163)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$4.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java :1202)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1120)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:588)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:820)

08-17 17:35:52.028 E/αTalk: [16] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().95 An uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[Smack-Single Threaded Executor 0 (0),5,main] and message was: Attempt to invoke interface method ‘boolean java.util.Iterator.hasNext()’ on a null object reference

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method ‘boolean java.util.Iterator.hasNext()’ on a null object reference

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.MultiUserChat$3.processStanza(MultiUserChat.java:25 2)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$5.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java :1228)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1120)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:588)

aTalk implements both the XEP-0084: User Avatar and XEP-0054: vcard-temp. aTalk still keeps XEP-0054 support so as to be able to receive avatar from client that only support XEP-0054. However I am not so sure what should I do with “vcard-temp:x:update” (cf. XEP-0153); so I just follow conversations implementation.

With the observed problem, I have changed aTalk to send when XEP-0084 is enabled. Not sure if this the correct implementation, or just completely remove XEP-0153 element when XEP-0084 is enabled. Any recommendation?

with the new implementation, no more reply timeout, but I still seeing smack throws exceptions as below. In aTalk version 0.8.5 I still received the event listener.joined(from); from MultiUserChat#presenceListener (need further investigation.)

08-17 21:51:42.849 E/αTalk: [15] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().95 An uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[Smack-Single Threaded Executor 0 (0),5,main] and message was: Attempt to invoke interface method ‘boolean java.util.Iterator.hasNext()’ on a null object reference

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method ‘boolean java.util.Iterator.hasNext()’ on a null object reference

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.muc.MultiUserChat$3.processStanza(MultiUserChat.java:25 2)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$5.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java :1228)

After some thought, I decided to completely remove and not to send when XEP-0084 is enabled in aTalk implementation. Otherwise sending an empty element can cause some xmpp clients to remove the existing avatar; and may interfere with the normal XEP-0084 operation.

Just found out that ejabberd server will always send on user behalf in stanza if the user is not defined in XEP-0054. This causes jitsi-window to remove the avatar. So need to look again the optimized implementation. Look like has to go for full XEP-0153 implementation even when XEP-0084 is enabled.

Another instance where reply timeout happen even with correct reply was received within time.

While Sony XTS was in standby, it disconnected the xmpp connection.

Upon wake up and start up a chatSession. The chat session check for omemo support …, the logcat is catpured below:

Large amount of omemo data being processed before exception.

======= aTalk logcat on Sony Xeperia Tablet S (Sony XTS) ===========

08-25 12:39:42.460 D/SMACK: SENT (0):

08-25 12:39:42.470 W/αTalk: [16] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListen er()** Connection** XMPPTCPConnection[smith476@atalk.org/atalk] (0) closed with error

javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Write error: ssl=0x1f52ac0: I/O error during system call, Broken pipe

at org.apache.harmony.xnet.provider.jsse.NativeCrypto.SSL_write(Native Method)

at org.apache.harmony.xnet.provider.jsse.OpenSSLSocketImpl$SSLOutputStream.write(O penSSLSocketImpl.java:713)

08-25 12:39:51.510 D/SMACK: XMPPConnection (XMPPTCPConnection[smith476@atalk.org/atalk] (0)) will reconnect in 0

08-25 12:39:52.460 W/System.err: org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NotConnectedException: The connection XMPPTCPConnection[smith476@atalk.org/atalk] (0) is no longer connected while waiting for response with IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=cZEjs-133)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): cmeng@atalk.org))

08-25 12:40:12.980 D/SMACK: User logged (0): smith476@atalk.org:5222/atalk

08-25 12:40:13.020 D/SMACK: SENT (0): 08-25 12:40:13.010 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-25 12:40:13.020 D/SMACK: SENT (0): <iq id='cZEjs-144’ type=‘set’>

08-25 12:40:13.220 D/SMACK: RECV (0):

08-25 12:40:21.330 D/SMACK: SENT (0): BckyQ4ns69pHmGYCVndH3uG41d1r4l/sm8xngtt6GTtr</signedPreKeyPu blic>bxomkKsXqZstMjOSepmsgUp4iulcaCNDg0K5Y40NJtZLMi5fnCou mst3T4a5HMuV22DrtuTcePsQMLSSBQLojA==BaYfEh9 Rp5HJDsSROw4MIW84Ub1tkyEhEf1BFZ1pARtUBXg+g/MM8wAm/nf3JtRxz2i8Z29jfJFJFLUxgOpW++d2<preKey Public

preKeyId=‘42’>BYMYj8B0UQic6xwPqlEPdKgan3gRFmS6Yxvy+rrjMA4ABfBOWPLFT62aTCNlKE

08-25 12:40:23.020 E/αTalk: [19] impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicInstantMessagingJabberImpl.enableDisableC arbon().760 Failed to set carbon state for: smith476@atalk.org/atalk to true

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 10000ms (~10s). Waited for response using: IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=cZEjs-144)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): null, FromMatchesFilter (ignoreResourcepart): smith476@atalk.org, FromMatchesFilter (full): atalk.org)).

at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:2 08)

Smack version 4.2.2 still throwing response timeout exception even the reply stanza was received within timeout period. The observation was on Note3 happen for aTalk while doing IBR account registration. It happens for both the carbon and omemo devicelist stanzas in a single test instance. As the test is not carried out at initial apk launch, I believe android inherited JIT compilation time does not contribute to the observed problem; also unlikely due to slow device long process time since the problem happen on Note3.

Another observation is carbon throws at 10s timeout (the default aTalk global setting) but message shows 50s timeout which was intentionly set for omemo devicelist request.

===== an extraction of the debug log showing only relevant stanza ===============
01-12 05:37:04.553 D/SMACK: SENT (3): <iq id='8NKO8-376' type='set'><enable xmlns='urn:xmpp:carbons:2'/></iq>
01-12 05:37:04.693 D/SMACK: RECV (3): <iq xml:lang='en' to='test2@atalk.org/atalk' from='test2@atalk.org' type='result' id='8NKO8-376'/>
01-12 05:37:06.253 D/SMACK: SENT (3): <iq to='test2@atalk.org' id='8NKO8-388' type='get'><query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info' node='eu.siacs.conversations.axolotl.devicelist'></query></iq><r xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:3'/>
01-12 05:37:06.273 D/SMACK: RECV (3): <iq xml:lang='en' to='test2@atalk.org/atalk' from='test2@atalk.org' type='result' id='8NKO8-388'><query node='eu.siacs.conversations.axolotl.devicelist' xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'><identity type='registered' category='account'/></query></iq>
01-12 05:37:14.563 E/aTalk: [111] impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicInstantMessagingJabberImpl.enableDisableCarbon().796 Failed to set carbon state for: test2@atalk.org/atalk to true
                            org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 50000ms (~50s). Waited for response using: IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=8NKO8-376)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): null, FromMatchesFilter (ignoreResourcepart): test2@atalk.org, FromMatchesFilter (full): atalk.org)).
                                at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:253)
                                at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:208)
                                at org.jivesoftware.smackx.carbons.CarbonManager.setCarbonsEnabled(CarbonManager.java:311)
01-12 05:37:56.263 E/aTalk: [112] org.jivesoftware.smackx.omemo.OmemoManager.run() connectionListener.authenticated() failed to initialize OmemoManager: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 50000ms (~50s). Waited for response using: IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=8NKO8-388)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): test2@atalk.org, FromMatchesFilter (full): null)).

Hm… I’ll try to take a look. What makes me wonder is, that I haven’t yet been able to reproduce this in the integration tests.

The rework of smack-omemo will soon be done. Maybe you want to give it a try? The API is unfortunately no longer the same, so you have to make some changes, but maybe it pays out?
In case you want to try it, you’ll have to compile Smack yourself from https://github.com/igniterealtime/Smack/pull/177 .

Maybe the new version solves your issue :slight_smile:

Yes, I would certainly integrated the new omemo library into aTalk but
will wait a week or two.
I just released aTalk into google playstore and need to do some final tidy
up.
By the way, do you have any omemo migration guide?

Below is a link to aTalk apk.
http://atalk.sytes.net