Openfire reinstall after reboot

Hi guys.

I have installed openfire 4.1.3 on Ubuntu 16.04. Ubuntu this VM on Hyper-V. After reboot service openfire or reboot VM, the installation begins anew.

Permission on folder /etc/openfire

-rwxrwxrwx 1 openfire openfire 19282 апр 21 12:00 available-plugins.xml

-rwxrwxrwx 1 openfire openfire 3972 фев 24 23:40 log4j.xml

-rwxrwxrwx 1 openfire openfire 2619 апр 5 17:43 openfire.xml

drwxrwxrwx 2 openfire openfire 4096 апр 4 10:14 security

-rwxrwxrwx 1 openfire openfire 3305 апр 25 09:23 security.xml

-rwxrwxrwx 1 openfire openfire 11 апр 21 12:00 server-update.xml

Help me, please

What database are you using. Embedded database is stored in some other dir i believe (don’t know exactly). So openfire user has to have permissions for it also.

use mysql

Check openfire/logs/all.log for relevant errors

Hello, i check error.log after reinstall openfire.

Unable to save XML properties; no file specified

There is no all.log? Only error.log? Attach it here (use advanced editor in the corner).

I attack all.log

2017.05.12 11.38
all.log.zip (29876 Bytes)

I see database connection errors with access denied for ‘’ @localhost. Maybe this is a db permission issue.

Connecting to the database from the user root

I haven’t found anything else. Other that maybe this error

2017.04.05 17:47:19 ERROR [main]: org.jivesoftware.util.XMLProperties - Error reading XML properties

org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 59 of document : The reference to entity “characterEncoding” must end with the ‘;’ delimiter. Nested exception: The reference to entity “characterEncoding” must end with the ‘;’ delimiter.

Maybe openfire.xml got corrupted/damaged and missing something. If it’s even referring to openfire.xml here.

How to understand that it is damaged?

I attach openfire.xml

59 line in openfire.xml

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire?useUnicode=true&characterEncodin g=UTF-8&characterSetResults=UTF-8

Probably he wants me to do so

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire?useUnicode=true&characterEnc oding=UTF-8&characterSetResults=UTF-8

I try to change

On github there is an article

Openfire/XMLProperties.java at master · igniterealtime/Openfire · GitHub

Line 742-750

As i understand openfire create *.xml.tmp file maybe he can not create this file. And if so, how to understand why?
openfire.xml.zip (1355 Bytes)

I don’t know how jdbc line should look like (as i have only used embedded database, it looks differently).

Not sure bout the tmp file either. I guess it has to be created in the /conf folder. So user openfire should have write access in /conf directory.

This problem is solved by changing the connection to the database.

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire?useUnicode=true&characterEnc oding=UTF-8&characterSetResults=UTF-8

In openfire.xml only the connection to the database settings. Other settings are stored in database.

Thank you