Receiving new Spark message opens window but doesn't display message

So, starting with a fresh profile fixed this issue for Gretchen? How about the others who has this issue here?

Since starting with a fresh profile, I don’t have this problem.

As often goes with Spark, some things are left in the profile and mess things. So, we have a workaround. It would be great to find the root cause of this, but i don’t believe we will (after so lengthy investigation already) and new users shouldn’t encounter this, i hope. Going to close the ticket now.

Sounds good to me. Thank you all for all of your hard work investigating this problem.

I’m having the same issue again so apparently clearing out the Spark folder in AppData/Roaming only fixed my Spark for a few days.

Well, reopening the ticket then Same stuff in the logs?

Yes, that’s correct. Just that strange warning, no errors being logged.

Gretchen,

Could you try deleting your transcripts and disabling transcripts/history to see if that helps?

Sure, no problem. I renamed my transcript folder and checked “disable chat history” under general chat settings in preferences. I’ll let you know how it goes today.

I can already report that this did not fix the problem.

is it the same user everytime? or do you see this with multiple users?

Multiple users.

I wonder if the problem disappears again for a while if you delete your Spark AppData folder from your (Roaming) profile again. If so, I’m very interested what is in that profile.

Yeah, deleting the Spark AppData (Roaming) folder did solve the problem before for a few days. I just renamed my Spark AppData folder so that I can preserve whatever is in there that could be screwing things up. I’m also grabbing a copy of my newly created Spark AppData folder so that we can compare it to the folder once the problem comes back (I’m just assuming it will at this point).

This time, deleting my Spark AppData folder didn’t solve the problem for me for any period of time. Perhaps I just coincidentally got lucky last time.

I had this issue as well. I uninstalled Spark, removed the AppData folder and removed the Program Files folder as well. I reinstalled and so far it has resolved the issue. I “auto deployed” the installation to 40 other workstations that had no issue. My manual install on my workstation was the only one to have issues. If it re-occurs I’ll report back with logs.

Travis’s solution seems to have finally done the trick for me. I uninstalled Spark, deleted the Program Files (x86) and AppData Spark folders, rebooted, then reinstalled on October 4. In the week since then, I have received every Spark message sent to me.

I’m still hesitant to call it a day Well, there is a chance some old library was still in the Program files folder (when Spark is doing upgrade it leaves all the old files in place and only overwrites ones that have changed). Maybe some plugin causing it. Will see.

I came to same conclusion when investigating https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-1777

This might also be caused by some old remnants like idlelinux.jar, etc. in the installation folder. That’s why clean installation and then recreating of profile helps.

We’ve got the exact same issue with the most recent version of both Spark(2.8.3) and Openfire (4.1.3).

I was able to reproduce the behavior on different accounts.

When Openfire is successfully connected to a Microsoft AD (might be the same for any LDAP) and no group is on the shared roster, you log in on one account and add several users by hand and confirm them.

When you now enable the shared roster for said user(s) for any LDAP-Managed group, the user and everyone that he added will not be able to read messages or initiate chats (either the complete window will be blank or the single messages [only the name appears on each line]). Unfortunately neither server nor client do produce any evidence of this within the log-files. The issue persists if the users initially added are removed by hand from the admin console or within the client.

If above steps do not reproduce the issue, try and use the exact same name for the manually added group and the shared group.

Cheers,

J

I dont know the exact cause but in my case it was throwing an Exception when message history is cleared for a user and then a new message appears from the same user .

Since Iam building Spark from source. I fixed it currently by catching the exception in the TranscriptWindow.java

Spark version:2_9_0 Openfire version:4.2.3
Hope this helps someone.

java.util.NoSuchElementException
at java.util.LinkedList.getLast(LinkedList.java:257)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.TranscriptWindow.getLastUpdated(TranscriptWindow.java:326)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.addToTranscript(ChatRoom.java:578)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.insertMessage(ChatRoom.java:548)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl.insertMessage(ChatRoomImpl.java:543)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.Workspace.insertMessage(Workspace.java:455)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.Workspace.createOneToOneRoom(Workspace.java:445)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.Workspace.handleIncomingPacket(Workspace.java:373)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.Workspace.lambda$processPacket$1(Workspace.java:309)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)