Chat history gets truncated?

Hi,

We just moved to a new openFire server and in the process upgraded from openfire 3.8.0 to 4.1.3. I also changed from HSQL (database engine 1.8.0) to using mysql. The old system was running on CentOS, the new one on SuSE. Aside from that everything pretty much seems the same, I’ve been going through the admin page on both the old and new servers looking for differences.

There was no need to migrate any history from the old server to the new one, so I just set up new user accounts and that works OK.

What we’re finding is that the chat histories don’t stay around very long on the new server. We had someone log in this morning, I told them to scroll up so that they could see something that had been said earlier, and they couldn’t go back that far. It was only 125 lines ago (I just cut and pasted it to count it) and only about two and a half hours had elapsed.

I use Pidgin to connect, most folks use Adium. Am I right in thinking that this is a server-side setting? If so, where on the admin page should I be looking? I’m probably missing a key setting.

Thanks very much!

Niles Oien, Boulder, Colorado USA

What settings is at Admin Console > Group Chat > Group Chat Settings > (click on conference service name) > History Settings?

1 Like

Thanks very much! It was at 25. I bumped it up to 250 and saved that. I don’t need to restart openfire for that to take effect, do I?

I’m not sure. Test it with a room and see if it works already. If not, then restart the server.