Spark error in the first logon

When spark starts up allways shows the next error, my openfire version is 4.1.1 and this error is happening since 3 versions ago of the openfire, and the spark version is 2.8.2 Build 934 and my java version is 8 version 111, it’s making me crazy to me and to all my users.

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.start(Startup.java:83)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.main(Startup.java:43)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:65)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:101)

at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:26)

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.io.File.(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.initializeDirectory(Spark.java:97)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.getLogDirectory(Spark.java:405)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log.(Log.java:54)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log.getInstance(Log.java:46)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log.error(Log.java:108)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.UIComponentRegistry.instantiate(UIComponentRegistry .java:509)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.UIComponentRegistry.createChatContainer(UIComponent Registry.java:458)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ChatManager.(ChatManager.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ChatManager.getInstance(ChatManager.java:120)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.SparkManager.getChatManager(SparkManager.java:202)

at org.jivesoftware.SparkStartupListener.startupPerformed(SparkStartupListener.jav a:34)

at com.install4j.api.launcher.StartupNotification$ListenerAdapter.startupPerformed (StartupNotification.java:103)

at com.exe4j.Controller.registerStartupListener(Controller.java:74)

at com.install4j.api.launcher.StartupNotification.registerStartupListener(StartupN otification.java:37)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.(Spark.java:291)

… 14 more

Is this error appearing in the logs or do you really see it somewhere when logging into Spark? if not, what error does Spark shows to the users? It probably will be the same, but you can try Java 112 version.

It appears as soon as the spark is opened and try to do the autologin, and its the same error for everyone, i’ve tried with differents versions of java, the 111 is the last one, but happens only in the morning when is the first time logon, when i try to login again after the error, works normally.

111 and 112 are released at the same time. Even numbered versions (112 in this case) have a bit more fixes/changes. Though i think it should work the same with 111. So you are using online installer for Spark and install Java separately? Can you try full installer of Spark?

Are you using roaming profiles or some sort of profile redirection/virtualization. What OS on the computers? Is ti showing the same error or something else in the logs? C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spark\Logs

It looks like the error is being caused because spark can’t access either %appdata% (on windows) or the users home folder.

I’m unable to reproduce this. Could be an environment related issue. maybe network/folder redirection or maybe antivirus? Have you tried to you disable antivirus before your first start to rule that out?

i already tried the full installer and the separately version too, and its the same.

thanks wrrot for your help, no i’m not using roaming profiles, i’m redirecting only the documents folder to the D drive, im using windows 8.1

this is my log from yesterday

ene 05, 2017 11:03:09 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

GRAVE:

org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$XMPPErrorException: XMPPError: not-acceptable - modify

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$XMPPErrorException.ifHasErrorThenThrow(XMP PException.java:135)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketCollector.nextResultOrThrow(PacketCollector.java:2 32)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketCollector.nextResultOrThrow(PacketCollector.java:2 13)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.roster.Roster.removeEntry(Roster.java:525)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.lambda$addSubscriptionListener$16(Contact List.java:1826)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection$3.run(AbstractXMPPConnection.java :1106)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Deleted excessive log - wroot

thanks speedy, the users home folder is in the C drive, no i haven’t disabled my antivirus, i have Eset endpoint Antivirus, im going to disable and reainstall spark to test that.

Skatalitico wrote:

i’m redirecting only the documents folder to the D drive

What is your downloads target folder in Spark preferences? File > Preferences > File transfer. Maybe it is pointing to some folder in Documents and then it might cause problems with redirection. If so, you can try changing it to some other local folder and test with it.

P.S. next time just attach the log as a file, so it won’t take so much space

I just disabled the antivirus, deleted the spark folder in appdata and reinstalled and its the same, here is the log
error.log.zip (721 Bytes)

What about downloads target?

i just did then i restarted and the behavior is the same
error.log.zip (721 Bytes)

What did you do? Tell us what is set as download directory in your File transfer settings.

This can be some other thing in Spark which is affected by redirection. Not a first issue with roaming/redirected folders, profiles.

i changed the download path, i set it out of the downloads in documents, the profile is not being redirected, is in the default path, actually i tested with a user that doesnt has redirected the documents folder and the user has the same problem.

Well, this needs deeper investigation. The logs only tell that there is a problem accessing Spark’s profile folder on its first launch. Maybe this is not the redirection itself, but some other related group policy or startup scripts causing this. Hard to tell. Try creating as default configuration as possible (fresh Windows install, no domain, no AV or other software) and add stuff step by step checking when it brakes. You can also try monitoring Spark’s startup with Process Monitor or similar tool to see what is happening.