Receiving new Spark message opens window but doesn't display message

I think it’s a problem with the toast popup option. I turned it off on PC and turned it on for Mac. Now it seems like all messages are being received.

1 Like

Running on Ubuntu with no toaster popping and I still get the same text-less window.

I’m running on Windows 7 with no toast popup and I also often get a text-less window.

I’m now on Spark 2.8.0.900. when I received a message today that didn’t show up in my chat window, nothing was logged in errors.log, and this is all that was logged in warn.log:

Sep 13, 2016 1:48:09 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
WARNING: chatRoomOpened:  jennifer@OpenFireServer
Sep 13, 2016 1:48:58 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
WARNING: chatRoomActivated:  jennifer@OpenFireServer

Well, this is a strange thing to log into warning log to say the least.

I agree, it’s a strange thing to log on ‘warning’ level. Was Jennifer also the person that sent you the message that didn’t show at the time?

I looked before for the source of this log message, which I could not find. That means that either I’m not looking hard enough (entirely possible), or that you are running some old bits of code. The only way that I see that happening is if there are some plugins left, that don’t get updated.

Next to the logs folder, there should be a plugins folder. Could you clear it (create backups first) please? Restart Spark afterwards, to see if the problem disappears. When it does, try to restore the .jar files in the plugin directory one by one, restarting each time, to find out which plugin is causing the issue. You only need to restore the .jar files, not the subdirectories, as those will be created automatically.

1 Like

Yes, Jennifer was the person who sent me the message that didn’t show up.

I’ll start testing plugins and will let you know what I can figure out.

It looks like it was the OpenFire Meetings plugin that was causing the problem for me.

My plugins folder is completely empty, but I just had another person send me a message and it didn’t show up in spark.

could you try deleting the Spark appdata folder?

%appdata%\Spark

fyi…transcript history is in this folder, so you might want to back it up if that is important to you.

I have analyzed the code and code history in all ways that I know how. I cannot find any reference in our code that would lead to a log statement like this:

WARNING: chatRoomOpened: jennifer@OpenFireServer

I did, however, found third-party code that creates this statement, here: MUCFileUpload/MUCFileUpload.java at develop · Speedy-Gonzalez/MUCFileUpload · GitHub

This matches the log statements exactly: up to the two spaces that are used between “chatRoomOpened:” and the JID.

Have you every played around with MUC file upload stuff?

No I’ve never used the MUC file uploader. I don’t use any Spark plugins other than what installs with the spark installer so I’m not sure where that would come from.

@Gretchen Raff would you mind popping into our chatroom? The Group Chat link on top of this page will get you to a web-based client, using Spark, you can add the conference server “conference.igniterealtime.org” and join the room named “open_chat” there.

So far so good. Since I deleted my old Spark AppData folder (Roaming), I’ve received every message sent to me. Guus, I’m in the group chat room if you’re available.

So, starting with a fresh profile fixed this issue for Gretchen? How about the others who has this issue here?

Since starting with a fresh profile, I don’t have this problem.

As often goes with Spark, some things are left in the profile and mess things. So, we have a workaround. It would be great to find the root cause of this, but i don’t believe we will (after so lengthy investigation already) and new users shouldn’t encounter this, i hope. Going to close the ticket now.

Sounds good to me. Thank you all for all of your hard work investigating this problem.

I’m having the same issue again so apparently clearing out the Spark folder in AppData/Roaming only fixed my Spark for a few days.

Well, reopening the ticket then Same stuff in the logs?