Java KeyStore Path Missing for Bosh and XMPP

Hi there,

Did an upgrade from 3 to 4.0.0 using the deb package on Ubuntu. (dpkg -i). The keystore settings have changed and the default paths for the XMPP client stores and Bosh stores are empty. This causes all ssl/tls related functionality to stop working.

Is there a property I must set? Trying to generate self signed certs in order to get the path set results in:

2016.01.13 07:09:45 org.jivesoftware.openfire.http.HttpBindManager - Error creating SSL connector for Http bind
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.http.HttpBindManager.createSSLConnector(HttpBindManag er.java:246)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.http.HttpBindManager.configureHttpBindServer(HttpBind Manager.java:518)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.http.HttpBindManager.start(HttpBindManager.java:193)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionManagerImpl.startListeners(ConnectionMa nagerImpl.java:290)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionManagerImpl.access$000(ConnectionManage rImpl.java:49)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionManagerImpl$1.pluginsMonitored(Connecti onManagerImpl.java:269)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.firePluginsMonitored(PluginMa nager.java:532)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.access$800(PluginManager.java :68)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManag er.java:1047)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:304)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301 (ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Schedu ledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Other errors that I think are related:

2016.01.13 07:09:45 org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.MINAConnectionAcceptor[socket_c2s_ssl] - Error starting: 5223
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.EncryptionArtifactFactory.getKeyManagers(Encrypti onArtifactFactory.java:57)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.EncryptionArtifactFactory.getSSLContext(Encryptio nArtifactFactory.java:91)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.EncryptionArtifactFactory.createServerModeSslFilt er(EncryptionArtifactFactory.java:249)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.MINAConnectionAcceptor.start(MINAConnectionAccept or.java:123)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionListener.start(ConnectionListener.java: 217)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionManagerImpl.startListeners(ConnectionMa nagerImpl.java:279)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionManagerImpl.access$000(ConnectionManage rImpl.java:49)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.ConnectionManagerImpl$1.pluginsMonitored(Connecti onManagerImpl.java:269)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.firePluginsMonitored(PluginMa nager.java:532)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager.access$800(PluginManager.java :68)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginManager$PluginMonitor.run(PluginManag er.java:1047)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:304)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301 (ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:178)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Schedu ledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

The problem seems to be widely spread… I have the same issue under Windows after the upgrade…

Upgrade from 3.10.3 to 4.0.0 completly messed up system

yeah - its seems like it should be easy to fix. It looks like a simple property or config entry. Would be great if the dev team could provide some direction on how to fix this. In the mean time we going to move ahead without openfire on our project and just use jitsi video bridge on its own.

sounds like you may have installed a SSL cert?

try copying over your OLD_OPENFIRE/resources/security/* files (truststore client.truststore and keystore) to your new installation, and restart Openfire.

(you did do a backup first… right?)

Hi Frank,

Thank for the reply. Yes we have a backup but it doesn’t solve the problem for us. Our certificates and keystore are fine. We even recreated the stores just to be safe but still no luck. We have also tried a clean install with the same results. The paths for the “XMPP Client Stores” and “BOSH (HTTP Binding) Stores” under “TLS/SSL Server Certificate” and unpopluted/empty. There appears to be no way to update these paths from the web gui as the input boxes are disabled.

When trying to do anything with the certs, like trying to generate a self signed cert. results in an error. This is for the entries with missing paths. The other entries work fine and display the keystore certs and truststore certs as well.

How can I update the config for the missing paths?

thanks

Hi Mark,

it took me a few hours but now it works again with openfire 4.0. Log into the webadmin interface. You need to add the following properties manually to the system properties:

xmpp.socket.ssl.client.keypas -> your password for the keystore

xmpp.socket.ssl.client.keystore -> the location of the keystore (for it is /usr/share/openfire/resources/security/keystore)

xmpp.socket.ssl.client.trustpass -> your passwort for the truststore

xmpp.socket.ssl.client.truststore -> the location of the truststore (for it is /usr/share/openfire/resources/security/truststore)

Cheers, Michael

1 Like

Thank you! I had the same issue, this has fixed it.Problem with upgrade to 4.0.0

By the way, the truststore, at least on my server, does have the default java truststore password, “changeit”. Since it is just a small private installation with several users, I wasn’t particularly paying attention to security, so I don’t know if openfire was asking to specify the truststore pass at the time of the installation but I have ignored it or if it couldn’t be specified in older versions.

works for me too - thanks Michael. Didn’t notice those properties were blown away during the upgrade when you use your own certificates. It also seems the paths are removed when you delete the default self-signed certs to add your own in a fresh install.

Cheers

Did some more tests with @Daryl Herzmann today. Most probably only the properties for the passwords are needed:

xmpp.socket.ssl.client.keypass -> your password for the keystore

xmpp.socket.ssl.client.trustpass -> your passwort for the truststore

If no explicit paths are defined for a particular store, a fallback mechanism should have kicked that would eventually cause the (paths to be used from the) Server Federation Stores. I’m somewhat puzzled by the fact that those properties were not empty for you, while other paths were.

Sadly, none of the stack traces that are already in this discussion relate to the root cause of the problem (instead, they describe a result). I’d be interested in other stack traces, which are likely logged around the time that Openfire started. I suspect (but am not sure) that the ones that I am after include any of these as part of the error message:

Unable to instantiate identity store for type

or

Unable to instantiate trust store for type

If you could provide those, that would be helpful. I’m also interested in a scenario that I can create locally to reproduce the problems. Thoughts?

Hi Guus,

here are the first stack traces after starting openfire:

2016.01.14 00:49:42 WARN [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager - Unable to instantiate identity store for type ‘SOCKET_C2S’

org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreConfigException: Unable to load store of type ‘jks’ from file ‘/usr/share/openfire/resources/security/keystore’

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStore.(CertificateStore.jav a:83)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.IdentityStore.(IdentityStore.java:47)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager.initialize(Certifica teStoreManager.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.initModules(XMPPServer.java:566)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:453)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:169)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessor Impl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructor AccessorImpl.java:45)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:383)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:105)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:56)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect

at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:772)

at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore$JKS.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:55)

at java.security.KeyStore.load(KeyStore.java:1226)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStore.(CertificateStore.jav a:77)

… 12 more

Caused by: java.security.UnrecoverableKeyException: Password verification failed

at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:770)

… 15 more

2016.01.14 00:49:42 WARN [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager - Unable to instantiate trust store for type ‘SOCKET_C2S’

org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreConfigException: Unable to load store of type ‘jks’ from file ‘/usr/share/openfire/resources/security/truststore’

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStore.(CertificateStore.jav a:83)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.TrustStore.(TrustStore.java:29)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager.initialize(Certifica teStoreManager.java:65)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessor Impl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructor AccessorImpl.java:45)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:105)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStore.(CertificateStore.jav a:77)

… 12 more

Caused by: java.security.UnrecoverableKeyException: Password verification failed

… 15 more

2016.01.14 00:49:42 WARN [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager - Unable to instantiate identity store for type ‘BOSH_C2S’

org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreConfigException: Unable to load store of type ‘jks’ from file ‘/usr/share/openfire/resources/security/keystore’

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.IdentityStore.(IdentityStore.java:47)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager.initialize(Certifica teStoreManager.java:50)

… 12 more

… 15 more

2016.01.14 00:49:42 WARN [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager - Unable to instantiate trust store for type ‘BOSH_C2S’

org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreConfigException: Unable to load store of type ‘jks’ from file ‘/usr/share/openfire/resources/security/truststore’

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.TrustStore.(TrustStore.java:29)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager.initialize(Certifica teStoreManager.java:65)

… 12 more

… 15 more

I hope that help a bit.

Cheers,

Michael

I’ve created this issue in our issue tracker for this problem: [OF-1049] Improve Certificate Store Management - Jive Software Open Source

Any information when those changes might be out (https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/pull/514 )?

I’m facing the same issue:

"2016.01.21 19:46:20 WARN [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager - Unable to instantiate identity store for type ‘SOCKET_C2S’

org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreConfigException: Unable to load store of type ‘jks’ from file ‘/opt/openfire/resources/security/keystore’

[…]

2016.01.21 19:46:21 WARN [main]: org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreManager - Unable to instantiate identity store for type ‘BOSH_C2S’

org.jivesoftware.openfire.keystore.CertificateStoreConfigException: Unable to load store of type ‘jks’ from file ‘/opt/openfire/resources/security/keystore’

[…]"

No TLS/SSL for Administration console, nor XMPP over TLS/SSL is vailable.

All keystores are perfectly correct and healthy. The certificates are 2048bits with SHA-2 (SHA256) hashes, with multiple SubjectAltName - so nothing uncommon.

I also added those missing properties xmpp.socket.ssl. Nothing helps - still tries to read the - I guess hardcoded file - which in my case is a link to a actual keystore (which is defined by xmpp.socket.ssl.keystore and value is not being used).

So couple things to correct I can see :wink:

Christopher

Remider for all installing the SSL/TLS Certificates - to use the:

Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files for JDK/JRE 8 Download

This is what was missing in my 2K crypto key configuration.

Best regards,

Krzysztof Mazurek