New Spark installer for Mac OS X needs testing (LOCKED)

Recently the installers producing system (Bamboo) has been fixed to produce Mac OS X installer again (dmg). So we need to test is it working on Mac OS X systems (different versions of it). Also there are a list of open tickets for this platform, which we also need to confirm, if they are still present in the latest Spark version. Testing on Mac OS X is tricky without actually having a Mac (none of the currently working on Spark folks has one, also running it in virtual environment is complex (i haven’t managed to do this in VirtualBox)). So we need real field testing. Report issues with the installer here and which issues from the list are still present:

Latest installer: Ignite Realtime: Downloads

Installer home folder: Spark - Nightly Mac Build (trunk): Plan summary - Atlassian Bamboo (then one should click on a build number, then Artifacts tab and then press on Spark link - you can use this to download the latest build, if there would be changes to the source).

List of open tickets for Mac OS X: https://igniterealtime.org/issues/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20stat us%20in%20%28Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%…

Old 2.6.3 installer, if you will need to go back to that version: http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/download-landing.jsp?file=spark/spark_2_ 6_3.dmg

Hi wroot, I have a few mac’s running different OS’s up to 10.11.2 El Capitan. Will get this up and running and look at the open tickets soon. Will report back.

1. Just real quick, on El Capitan I cannot run Spark because the Java runtime I’m using is greater than old version needed of Java 6.

Hm, Spark 2.7.x should be looking for Java 7/8 now. Not sure why it wants Java 6 on Mac OS X. Will forward this to others. Also it looks tlike dmg is not bundled with Java. Bundled Java fixes issues with wrong system Java.

1 Like

Bundled java would be great. I’ll install on my MacBook air later today, that has a older OS on it and see what happens.

I was able to get this to work with hacking around a bit. From my limited research, it looks like apple wants people to include a jre. Leave it to apple to make things hard! I thought macs were suppose to be easy and simple! I’m finding it extremely frustrating!! anyway. here is a work around. next I’ll try installing the apple java 6 stuff to see how it responds.

edit /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Info.plist and change:

JVMCapabilities

CommandLine

TO

JVMCapabilities

CommandLine

JNI

BundledApp

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/bundle/Librarie s

sudo ln -s /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/server/ libjvm.dylib /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_66.jdk/Contents/Home/bundle/Librarie s/libserver.dylib

1 Like

I just sent a PR that should make spark work without having to edit any files or create links…i hope.:confused:

Unfortunately the Mac build is failing after this change.

BUILD FAILED

/Users/j2ee-bamboo/bamboo-agent-home/xml-data/build-dir/SPARK-NIGHTLYMAC-JOB1/b uild/build.xml:718: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/oracle/appbundler/AppBundlerTask : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0

my bad! I think I built the jar using java 8. I’ll recompile with 7 and create a new pr

Daryl said he has updated the job to use Java 8, but i see it still fails.

looks like a missing lib that might not be included with the jdk 8, but was with jdk 7. looking at it now!

Success this time. You can test the new installer now http://bamboo.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-NIGHTLYMAC-374/artifact/JOB1/Spark /spark_2_7_4_374.dmg

1 Like

Whenever i try to install it, it gives me this error.

Dmg works great! I’m having trouble as a newbie to Spark on getting it to connect to OpenFire. I use a dyndns hostname to connect to my in house server and can’t seem to get my settings right. I’ll read the docs and get back to you!

AND thanks for the continued support for us Mac users!

Right now, the app doesn’t have a bundled JRE, and requires java 8 to be installed from oracle. Do you have java 8 installed from oracle?

there seems to be plenty of bugs with spark under mac, but this is a start

It could be also a Gatekeeper problem. Maybe you have to disable it for Spark installation or allow to install Spark or something.

Jay Weldy wrote:

Dmg works great! I’m having trouble as a newbie to Spark on getting it to connect to OpenFire. I use a dyndns hostname to connect to my in house server and can’t seem to get my settings right. I’ll read the docs and get back to you!

You can use the hostname in the server field, but then go to Advanced menu and put IP of your server in there.

Was able to successfully install spark_2_7_4_374.dmg on a Mac OS X 10.9.5. After installing was able to open Spark without any problems.

Thanks for testing. In few hours I will post another installer. This time with Smack 3.3.1 library as 3.4.0 breaks Fastpath functionality. Will probably do a final 2.7.5 release tomorrow as we need to fix one issue with Openfire 4.0.0 quickly. Will ask Daryl to add Mac Os X installer to downloads page.