21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 2:39 PM by jeff

Memory leaks?

jeff

I have to keep restarting my openfire server about once per week, because the users either cannot get into any chatrooms, or they cannot connect at all. I am using a pretty standard setup with some chatrooms, about 25 users, using LDAP integration and a MySQL database. MySQL and openfire are running on the same system, OpenLDAP is running on a different server. The Openfire server is a virtual machine. I notice each time I have to restart the Openfire service it is using all of the available memory. Just stopping Openfire and starting it up again fixes the problem but I would prefer to not have to do this. Can anyone give me any idea of how to fix this?  BTW the only error that I can find is "Exception in thread "Server SR - 431149549" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" which basically reads as java ran out of memory.

• Memory leaks?
          wroot

You are probably hitting the known memory leak in PEP.

As a workaround, you can disable PEP, by setting the Openfire property xmpp.pep.enabled to false.

• Memory leaks?
            rcollier

Can you post or pm me the contents of the ofpubsubnode table.  I am trying to confirm the root of the problem.  If it is a very large list, a sample should suffice, along with some information as to the total number of entries.

• Memory leaks?
              baciboy

I am having the same problem. A couple of years ago I ran openfire with no server lock ups. Does this have soemthing to do with version 3.71?

@ wroot....where is this PEP setting? I do not see it right off in server properties, I see all the other xmpp settings but nothing for PEP.

Will be happy to post any logs if that would help track this issue down.

-Baci

• Memory leaks?
                  rcollier

Please provide the info I already requested.

As for the property, it is not there by default, so you just add it yourself via the console.

• Memory leaks?
                      baciboy

Thanks! I will grab those logs for you.

What does xmpp.pep do in openfire? All the information I can find is about the memory leak and that disabling fixes it.....however no one seems to say what it does. I will give it a shot since it seems to be the culprit but any info of what it does would be great so I am not blindly pulling the triger.

• Memory leaks?
                          baciboy

From what I can tell this is what it does in a nutshell?

"

Personal eventing provides a way for a Jabber/XMPP user to send updates or "events" to other users, who are typically contacts in the user's roster. An event can be anything that a user wants to make known to other people, such as those described in User Geolocation  [1], User Mood  [2], User Activity  [3], and User Tune  [4].  While the XMPP Publish-Subscribe  [5] extension ("pubsub") can be used to broadcast such events associated, the full pubsub protocol is often thought of as complicated and therefore has not been widely implemented.      [6] To make publish-subscribe functionality more accessible (especially to instant messaging and presence applications that conform to XMPP IM  [7]), this document defines a simplified subset of pubsub that can be followed by instant messaging client and server developers to more easily deploy personal eventing services across the Jabber/XMPP network. We label this subset "Personal Eventing Protocol" or PEP."

Is that pretty much how its used in openfire? Thanks in advance for any help.

• Memory leaks?
                      hbhbit

I also am seeing this behaviour - usually takes about a week. However disabling PEP has *not* solved the issue for us.

What other logs should I be looking in?

Openfire 3.7.1

Ubuntu server 11 running on ESXi 4

Spark clients across the board

Thanks for any info.

• Memory leaks?
                        TheAngryPenguin

Just another me-too reply.  After ~10-14 days, java ends up consuming 99.9% CPU.  We've got Openfire running on a CentOS release 6.2 (Final) Hyper-V VM w/ 4GB RAM and a single CPU.  Embedded database, Active Directory integration.  Search and Kracken IM Gateway 1.1.3b3 are the only plugins installed.  We generally have less than 150 active sessions on our busiest days; and there are currently 26 group chat rooms.  Restarting the service seems to take longer than simply rebooting the OS.  After a clean boot, we'll see java eat away at the CPU for approximately 3-5 minutes, then it backs down to 1-15%.  OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx2048m"

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help resolve this issue.

• Memory leaks?
                          jeff

I have verified that there are no more apparent memory leaks in my setup so it was PEP that was the problem for me. It has been almost a month now and I have not had to restart Openfire where before I had to restart it about once a week.

• Memory leaks?
                              dzubey

Me four, I guess.

Found this post after a google search. I run openfire at work, and as a (volunteer) member of the NWSChat system know that openfire is more reliable than my experience.

I have been restarting the process weekly. I've just had a second to look into the problem. I've increased memory available, will start monitoring java memory usage, and disable PEP.

The symptom is that java runs out of memory. I've seen a race condition, but it's probably from java frantically trying to reclaim memory.

just commenting here for the log.

• Memory leaks?
                              jeff

I would also like to note that now for some reason the Java memory usage dropped from staying around 200-300MB to about 12MB.