Spark.properties

Hello everyone!

A short historical introduction:

I have a very old server with Openfire 3.7.0 with MySQL Database installed and become has a very high load server as the years went by…

I started having performance problems with this old server, so I installed a Connection Manager to help me distribute this load across servers.

Currently I have external users who connect to this old server through the Internet as well internal users within my local network.

We decided to configure the server to authenticate users against Openfire DataBase instead of a LDAP server because we don´t want to manage the internet users on my Active Directory. That´s why I can´t use SSO | LDAP logon type method.

My issue:

I would like to configure my internal/local network users to logon only using this new Connection Manager server, and for that I thought about changing the file spark.properties (for this internal network users) to point to the DNS record of the Connection Manager (that I installed to serve my internal network users only). Leaving the old server just for internet users…

The DNS record for the external users will continue to be a dot com domain (.com), and for the internal users it will be a dot local (.local).

My question is: How to just append or change only the parameter server= from (server=openfire.domain.com) to (server=openfire.domain.local) to my intenal users?

I don´t want to change any other parameters on file spark.properties because my users are old people or with very low technique maturity and they will not remember the login account or the password to logon and with that we will have a lot of calls in support to reset passwords for them…

In the company I have machines with Windows XP and Windows 7, but all machines run Spark version 2.6.3.12555.

I’ve read the posts below and I could not identify a possible solution to my current problem:

http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-1942

I hope you guys can help me…

Best regards…

Well, you can use a vbscript to change the spark.properties file and then add that script to a login script of users’ computers (if they are on AD, with a GPO). Another idea - alter their hosts file to point .com to your Connection Manager IP. Will check for the vbscript tomorrow, i think i made one, when i needed to alter all users’ settings after switching from IP to DNS name.

My vbscript for changing text part in a file (there are two changes, but you can remove second one or add as many as you like):

Const ForReading = 1

Const ForWriting = 2

Set objFSO = CreateObject(“Scripting.FileSystemObject”)

Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(“C:\folder\folder”)

RepSubfolders objFolder

Sub RepSubFolders(Folder)

For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(Subfolder & “\file.xml”, ForReading)

strText = objFile.ReadAll

objFile.Close

strNewText = Replace(strText, “old_text”, “new_text”)

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(Subfolder & “\file.xml”, ForWriting)

objFile.WriteLine strNewText

objFile.Close

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(Subfolder & “\exodus.xml”, ForReading)

strText = objFile.ReadAll

objFile.Close

strNewText = Replace(strText, “old_text2”, “new_text2”)

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile(Subfolder & “\file.xml”, ForWriting)

objFile.WriteLine strNewText

Next

End Sub

@wroot thank you! I had not thought to alter the hosts file for workstations…

Besides my external DNS is different from my internal DNS, so I ended up making a change in the internal network DNS.

Hello,

Now I´m having other issue.

While some users (around 20, 30%) are trying to connect to the new Connection Manager server is returning the error user or password invalid for them in Spark.

When these same users try to connect straight to the OpenFire server the error does not occur…

I’m monitoring the amount of client sessions on the Connection Manager, and many customers have already connected without any problems.

I’m not using Connection Manager, so can’t say what might be happening.