23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 11:37 AM by peetaur

Help ! OpenFire crashes while configuring !

Bronze

Hello,

When I confirm the database parameters in the web interface, I get this...

I tried to configure it almost only with default parameters.

It's openfire-3.6.4-1.i386.rpm under SLES 10SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Denis

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
           at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)
           at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
           at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
           at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
           at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
           at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
           at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:42)
           at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
           at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
           at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
           at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
           at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

• Re: Help ! OpenFire crashes while configuring !
          Bronze

Hello,

I'm really dispaired, I am the single one where OpenFire bugs ?

If anyone could give me some advice it would be great !

Denis

wroot Gold
              What database do you select in the setup? And do yo have write permissions on /openfire folder and subfolders?
                  Bronze

Hello,

It the same problem wheter I choose internal databse or external (mysql)...

It's the "Administrator account" step/page which crashes

Denis

Bronze

And about the rights, everything was installed by the rpm automatically and all rights seems correct.

(Everything was installed with owner / rwx "daemon" and openfire is running under "daemon" user)

Bronze

Maybe I should add that the first time I tried to install it, I choosed "french" as a language, but now if I choose english it still crash...

And now I found the config file, it's in :

• /opt/openfire/conf/openfire.xml

And some of my options are saved it, which proves it's not a permission problem, at least...

Denis

wroot Gold

What is saved in the openfire.xml? Do you have embedded-db folder in your installation folder when you select the internal database? You can try creating such folder manually with that user "daemon".

Bronze

Hello,

Without doing anything, that's what I have :

a) This is my embedded-db folder :

# ls -l embedded-db/
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon  411 Aug  7 00:16 openfire.properties
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon 9833 Aug  7 00:16 openfire.script

b) And this is my conf/openfire.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!--
                                  This file stores bootstrap properties needed by Openfire.
                                  Property names must be in the format: "prop.name.is.blah=value"
                                  That will be stored as:
                                      <prop>
                                          <name>
                                              <is>
                                                  <blah>value</blah>
                                              </is>
                                          </name>
                                      </prop>

Most properties are stored in the Openfire database. A
                                  property viewer and editor is included in the admin console.
                              -->
                              <!-- root element, all properties must be under this element -->
                              <jive>
                                <adminConsole>
                                  <!-- Disable either port by setting the value to -1 -->
                                  <port>9090</port>
                                  <securePort>9091</securePort>
                                </adminConsole>
                                <locale>en</locale>
                                <!-- Network settings. By default, Openfire will bind to all network interfaces.
                                    Alternatively, you can specify a specific network interfaces that the server
                                    will listen on. For example, 127.0.0.1. This setting is generally only useful
                                     on multi-homed servers. -->
                                <!--
                                  <network>
                                      <interface></interface>
                                  </network>
                                  -->
                                <connectionProvider>
                                  <className>org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider</className>
                                </connectionProvider>
                                <database>
                                  <defaultProvider>
                                    <driver>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver>
                                    <serverURL>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire</serverURL>
                                    <username>openfire</username>
                                    <password>******</password>
                                    <testSQL>select 1</testSQL>
                                    <testBeforeUse>true</testBeforeUse>
                                    <testAfterUse>true</testAfterUse>
                                    <minConnections>5</minConnections>
                                    <maxConnections>25</maxConnections>
                                    <connectionTimeout>1.0</connectionTimeout>
                                  </defaultProvider>
                                </database>
                              </jive>

wroot Gold

Your openfire.xml is missing the last tags <setup>true</setup>. That's probably because it never finishes. I see your external mysql settings are here. Try this: stop Openfire and change connectio provider tag to this:

<connectionProvider>
                                      <className>org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider</className>
                                    </connectionProvider>

Then start Openfire and try to select the internal db. Or you can do a fresh install and try the embedded-db for the first time.

Bronze

Ok I tried but whatever I do on the database step, it seems to work and the config file is saved.

But whatever I do it crashed on "Admin account" with the same error.

Another strange point, even if everything is saved and comes back later, the Server Settings / domain is not saved ?

OK I even tried to uninstall openfire, delete all files, reinstall :

# rpm -i openfire-3.6.4-1.i386.rpm
                                      openfire                  0:off  1:off  2:off  3:on   4:off  5:on   6:off

etc/init.d/openfire  start
                                      Starting openfire:

w3m http://localhost:9090
                                      English

Embedded

Profile Default
                                      BUG !!!!!!

Denis

P.S. This is the error :

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
                                         ¢    at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspSe rvice(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)
                                         ¢    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
                                         ¢    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
                                         ¢    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)
                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)
                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
                                              at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
                                              at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:42)
                                              at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
                                              at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843 )
                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
                                              at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

Powered by Jetty://

⪠â â Viewing <Error 500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR>
                                          Bronze
                                          Is maybe openfire-3.6.4-1 bugged ?
                                              wroot Gold

Well, it can be a bug, though i havent seen a lot of such reports. You can try a standalone version (tar.gz), Just extract it and run (/openfire/bin/ openfire.sh i think).

This error means that Openfire's internal web server Jetty is crashing, but i cant say what is causing this. Are there any other web servers on this machine like Apache? Also, then you reinstall, dont run it manually, just try to launch the Admin Console. Maybe it is already running and this is causing the conflict. Well, i'm running out of ideas, so i just tell about all the common problems. Another common problem is that some other app is already using 9090 port. But then you won't be able to launch Admin Console at all.

Bronze

> This error means that Openfire's internal web server Jetty is crashing, but i cant say what is causing this.

Oh ok... Isn't there more details in the trace or in some logs ?

> Are there any other web servers on this machine like Apache?

Yes there is already tomcat (I think) - I install IBM Jazz Team Concert (jazz.net)

> Also, then you reinstall, dont run it manually, just try to launch the Admin Console. Maybe it is already running and this is causing the conflict.

Could you explain me a little better how to do it ? I mean, how to launch only the admin console ?

> Well, i'm running out of ideas, so i just tell about all the common problems.

> Another common problem is that some other app is already using 9090 port. But then you won't be able to launch Admin Console at all.

Yes, exactly, it can't be it...

I will also try your tgz idea...

Denis

Bronze

Ok now I tried with the tar.gz version and it's even worse, I get an error as soon as I open the browser :

Cannot load excludes configuration file from jar

RequestURI=/

Caused by:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot load excludes configuration file from jar
                                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.factory.DefaultFactory.loadExcludes(DefaultFac tory.java:192)
                                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.factory.DefaultFactory.loadConfig(DefaultFacto ry.java:121)
                                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.factory.DefaultFactory.refresh(DefaultFactory. java:282)
                                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.factory.DefaultFactory.isPathExcluded(DefaultF actory.java:84)
                                                              at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:37)
                                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)
                                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:829)
                                                              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)