Openfire works great, but dies on restart. reinstalled many times still fails

My setup:

I’m using 3.7.1 which I downloaded today, and the kraken plugin downloaded from:

They say the project has moved to:

http://community.igniterealtime.org/community/plugins/im_gateway_support

but I haven’t been able to find a link to download from this site anywhere.

I’m using Ubuntu 10.10, and 64 bit Open JDK 1.6.0_20

I’m currently (trying to) use postgresql as the database backend, but initially used the embedded database.

I’ve checked the permissions on all the relevant files, I’ve uninstalled (with apt-get purge) and re-installed 3-4 times, and I’ve deleted the true entry from openfire.xml, re-running the setup process multiple times.

Symptom:

I install, set $JAVA_HOME, go through the setup process, and login. Everything seems fine.

I restart the server (/etc/initi.d/openfire stop and then start).

login again, everything seems fine.

I use the web interface to add the kraken.jar plugin.

add a user. restart again. login again, everything seems fine.

connect using an xmpp client. everything seems fine.

Add an MSN and yahoo account. Awesome. I’m chatting through the XMPP gateway. Works nicely.

Restart again. Go to the admin page. Won’t load. Check log files, no error messages. ps auwx|grep openfire, seems to be running properly.

Try restarting again, still no use.

wait a little while… still can’t hit the admin page. Chrome says “Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.”

Deleting the true line and restarting openfire seems to allow me to reconfigure from scratch, but one more restart and I’m back to square one again.

I’d really like to try this IM gateway… any idea how I can get this to work in a semi-reliable consistent way, or some way to restart the openfire server without having to reinstall/reconfigure everything again every time?

I installed again using the tarball instead of the .deb file and everything seems to be working find now. I suspect there’s something wrong with the .deb installation.