Grave licensing issue in smack files

Hello,

I’m new to the project, so I’ll briefly introduce myself. I’m a Debian maintainer, and also lecturer at a french university. I happen to use smack for a project of mine that I’d like to add to the Debian repository. That is why I’m in the process of packaging smack for inclusion into the official Debian archive.

Unfortunately, if I submit your software as is, it will be refused by administrators as being non free software. There is 3 problems, of different gravity.

(1) the file test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/FileTransferTest.java contains the following license statement:

Copyright © 1999-2005 Jive Software. All rights reserved.

This software is the proprietary information of Jive Software. Use is subject to license terms.

As long as this remains as is, there is nothing I can do to integrate smack into Debian. Please consider fixing this issue if it’s a mistake. If not, I’ll have to prune the file from the archive before uploading to Debian but that’s kinda a pain.

(2) Several files are not licensed under Apache-2 but under the “The Jive Software License (based on Apache Software License, Version 1.1)”. I belive that this is an omission that you may want to fix, but I think that it’s not absolutely mandatory. The full list of such files is:

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/ChatTest.java

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/JingleSession.java

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/nat/TcpUdpBridgeClient.j ava

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/nat/HttpServer.java

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/nat/TransportCandidate.j ava

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/nat/ICECandidate.java

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/nat/TransportResolver.ja va

jingle/extension/source/org/jivesoftware/smackx/jingle/nat/TestResult.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/RosterExchangeTests.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/ServiceDiscoveryManagerTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/FormTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/GroupChatInvitationTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/XHTMLManagerTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/RosterExchangeManagerTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/packet/MessageEventTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/packet/XHTMLExtensionTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/MessageEventManagerTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/XHTMLSupportTests.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/muc/MultiUserChatCreationTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/muc/MultiUserChatTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/commands/AdHocCommandDiscoTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smackx/MessageEventTests.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/util/CacheTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/util/StringUtilsTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/packet/MockPacket.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/packet/MockPacketFilter.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/NotFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/OrFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/ToContainsFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/PacketTypeFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/PacketIDFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/AndFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/filter/FromContainsFilterTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/RosterSmackTest.java

test/org/jivesoftware/smack/PacketReaderTest.java

(3) A lot of files contain absolutely no license statement. That’s definitively something we could live with since there the license is clearly given in the relevant file of the archive. But if you find some time to fix it, that would be even better.

That’s all I’ve found so far, thanks for the fish.

PS: I’m definitively used to open source interactions, such as issue reporting and bug tracker interactions. a full account on the tracker could be useful to make sure that the feedback comming from Debian don’t get lost on the forum.

Hello,

Please let me know of your Jira account and I’ll elevate your privs there.

daryl

My login on your forum site is mquinson. If it’s not the kind of account you are speaking about, please be more specific (I’m new out there

Thanks for your time,

Mt.

Please sign up for a Jira account, so that you can create issues, etc.

http://issues.igniterealtime.org/secure/Signup!default.jspa

daryl

thanks, you should be all set.

daryl

your messages are blank on the forums, must be having troubles with email translation?

daryl

oups, sorry for the blank messages. I’ll try to stick to the web interface since you seem to not like my text oriented settings.

My second message was asking whether I should create the issue in the BT or if I should wait for more feedback on the forum before.

Thanks for the fish,

Mt.

up to you, I hope Robin will chime in on this, as he is the primary smack devel…

daryl

Chiming in with SMACK-352.

Thanks for the exhaustive list.