XEP-147 (URI scheme) not working with 8 bit chars

Wolf_P,

Thanks for making those changes for this. We’ve tried this, but it seems it does not handle 8 bit characters properly

We have a roster URI, which is

…roster;name=%C3%84%C3%A4kk%C3%B6nen%20%C3%96ky

This represents the name “Ääkkönen Öky” and it is utf-8 encoded and then pct-encoded. This follows step 2 of section 3.1 of RFC 3987, which states

Step 2. For each character in ‘ucschar’ or ‘iprivate’, apply steps

2.1 through 2.3 below.

2.1. Convert the character to a sequence of one or more octets

using UTF-8 [RFC3629].

2.2. Convert each octet to %HH, where HH is the hexadecimal

notation of the octet value. Note that this is identical

to the percent-encoding mechanism in section 2.1 of
[RFC3986]. To reduce variability, the hexadecimal notation

SHOULD use uppercase letters.

2.3. Replace the original character with the resulting character

sequence (i.e., a sequence of %HH triplets).

If the data is sent with no utf-8 encoding, i.e. the 8 bit characters are sent as is, then the name will appear in the Nickname.

The %20 is decoded to a space. Looking at UriIManager, it does not do any decoding of the String apart from the call to replace for the %20 encoding.

I am not sure of the fix for this as I don’t know how the command line parameters are handled, but from my reading of the RFC, all the URI mapping handlers should actually be treating the Java uriMapping String as a pct-encoded utf-8 byte stream, so they should be doing something like

a) Decode pct-encoding to byte

b) Create byte array from command line including decoded bytes

c) Create java String from byte array with new String (byte, Charset.forName(“UTF-8”));

Do you agree?

Antony

you should post a patch

also it shouldnt work for the other commands, because they dont convert 8bit chars either

Set up Eclipse to checkout project from SVN, but it does not set up library build path in Eclipse project. I can build with ant build.xml, but cannot debug as Eclipse complains about unresolved compilation problems. I followed the doc here http://community.igniterealtime.org/docs/DOC-1040 but that still ends up with the same issue. I’m using Helios with Subversive.

I can add jars from build/lib I guess until the problems go away, but is there an update to that doc that deals with the Eclipse side a bit better?

Wolf_P. wrote:

you should post a patch

I’ve changed ChatManager and URIManager, attached here. I couldn’t test it properly because I can’t get it built properly and make the exe, but at least I can partially debug it. Don’t know how you do your testing and what test cases exist, but I tested it in the debugger and it seems to do the right thing, e.g. URI of

xmpp://%C3%A4%C3%A4%C3%A4@atacama/spark?subscribe;name=Haha

will convert to äää@atacama/spark/?subscribe;name=Haha

Just uses java.net.URI class. Tested with JDK 1.6. Not sure what the required JDK is for Spark, so don’t know if URI class has changed in previous versions.

Antony
ChatManager.java.zip (6368 Bytes)
UriManager.java.zip (2135 Bytes)

Hi Wolf_P, were these patches any use and was this the right place to put them?

I’ll ask Wolf to take a look into it. We have tentatively scheduled XEP 147 into the next release 2.6.3 that will go this week (or will be delayed for 8 -12 weeks).

Thanks! Would be great if Wolf can take a look. I’m working with a Finnish organisation to integrate our clients with Spark/Openfire. Wolf’s original XEP 147 implementation is working nicely, but the 8 bit chars is an issue in Finnish as they use the äåöÄÅÖ characters. Am happy to do any testing.

Completed: At revision: 12546

thank you for submitting

Can you please check the nightly at http://bamboo.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK and report the result?

Please report test results.

The encoding is working, but there is a problem somewhere. The following URL

xmpp://riitta@atacama?subscribe;name=Riitta

sends the following presence packet to the server

which causes an Exception in Openfire

2011.06.30 10:27:05 Rejecting packet. JID malformed

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Existing slash at the very end of the string indicates that an empty resource part is provided. This is illegal.

at org.xmpp.packet.JID.getParts(JID.java:584)

If I debug the latest sources in Eclipse giving that URL as a startup argument, it is fine, it is only if I embed that URL in a web page. Unfortunately I cannot find a way to get clicked URLs to launch my debug copy of Spark, so I can’t see what is really being passed as a command line arg to Spark.

There’s one small typo in UriManager.java - changed version attached.

Is there a dummies guide to getting Spark set up with Eclipse so it can build - I’ve got the SVN project, but have lots of build errors due to missing build path things, e.g.

com.jivesoftware.spark.plugin.apple.AppleBounce.java - can’t find

import com.apple.eawt.Application;

Any hints on how to run Spark so it can be remote debugged by Eclipse?
UriManager.java.zip (2065 Bytes)

when starting eclipse from windows you can remove the following sources:

• apple

• growl

• linux

same goes when starting from apple you will need to remove:

• linux

on linux remove:

• apple

• growl

please post patches not whole source files

Sorry for the silly question…

How to make patches?

from commandline:

svn diff sparkfolder > somename.patch

from whatever your client is:

google

Thx

Index: src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java
===================================================================
--- src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java    (revision 12554)
+++ src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java    (working copy)
@@ -233,7 +233,7 @@
     sb.append(uri.getHost());
     // Resource contains the leading /
     String resource = uri.getPath();
-    if (resource != null && resource != "") {
+    if (resource != null && resource.length() > 0) {
         sb.append(resource);
     }
     return sb.toString();

try this in URIManager.java line #128

jid= jid.contains("/")&&jid.lastIndexOf("/")==jid.length()-1 ? jid.substring(0,jid.length()-1):jid;

I check that path is not / in retrieveJid(). Sensible change, but still not clear where that / is coming from in the failure case.

Index: src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java
===================================================================
--- src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java    (revision 12554)
+++ src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java    (working copy)
@@ -233,7 +233,8 @@
     sb.append(uri.getHost());
     // Resource contains the leading /
     String resource = uri.getPath();
-    if (resource != null && resource != "") {
+    +    if (resource != null && resource.length() > 0 && !resource.equals("/")) {
         sb.append(resource);
     }
     return sb.toString();

Ha! Now I can make patches

Antony schrieb:

I check that path is not / in retrieveJid(). Sensible change, but still not clear where that / is coming from in the failure case.

> Index: src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java
> ===================================================================
> --- src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java    (revision 12554)
> +++ src/java/org/jivesoftware/spark/uri/UriManager.java    (working copy)
> @@ -233,7 +233,8 @@
>      sb.append(uri.getHost());
>      // Resource contains the leading /
>      String resource = uri.getPath();
> -    **if** (resource != **null** && resource != "") {
> +    +    **if** (resource != **null** && resource.length() > 0 && !resource.equals("/")) {
>          sb.append(resource);
>      }
>      **return** sb.toString();

Ha! Now I can make patches

Does this work now? cannot test at this moment

It always worked when running it in Eclipse. It fails when running it as a clicked link from the browser I don’t know how to build an EXE to test it from the browser

ant -f sparksourcefolder/build/build.xml jar

cp sparksourcefolder/target/build/lib/spark.jar yousparkinstallfolder/lib/spark.jar

you dont need to build an exe, the spark.jar file is enough

Thanks, OK, all works now.

One comment about the subscribe implementation: Currently it just sends the presence packet. The XEP for subscribe says XEP-0147: XMPP URI Scheme Query Components that

the invoked XMPP application SHOULD first send a roster add stanza as shown below (this is consistent with the recommendations in RFC 3921)

Also, it would be nice if Spark could control whether the ‘Add contact’ window was displayed when receiving these types of URL. As it stands, you don’t know if anything has happened because the user’s not added to the roster in the client display and there’s no indication the presence packet is sent.

I think the solution should be that the Add Contact window is shown by default, allowing nickname and group to be set before doing the protocal stuff.

Can you give me an idea where to look so I can try to achieve this?

Thanks

Antony