2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2011 3:36 AM by plastikat

    Mood/Activity information is not sent to some users

    plastikat Bronze

      hi, all!


      My environment:
      Openfire 3.7.0 beta, LDAP users and groups (around 120 users), rosters are distributed via shared groups.


      I have some strange mood/activity related problem with my OpenFire server. Everything was just fine at the moment of starting working with  the server, but couple of monthes later i accidentally noticed this strange behaviour.


      The problem is that none of "new" users get mood/activity information of other users on their rosters from the server. In the same time if i set some mood/activity status on these users' clients - all "old" users get this information normally.


      At the time i noticed the problem there were 5-6 users of this kind (all other users have been getting all info ok), but with the time this count constantly grows: while "the whole" quantity of users stays approximately the same, many users get renamed (at Active Directory) and these users are considered "new" when automatically imported by the OpenFire server.


      It is not the client problem (Miranda IM) because if i open the xml-console i can see that the server simply doesn't send this information to these "new" users (and if i try to connect with some of the "old" user on the same client i get all mood/activity information normally).


      All other information (like user statuses, vCards, avatars etc.) is sent by the server and read by the "new" users' clients normally. All users ("new" and "old") are automatically subscribed both ways to each other (because rosters are distibuted by the means of shared groups).


      The problem is probably started after upgrading the server to some of pretty stable nightly builds, but i'm not sure about that beacuase downgrading the server to "pure" 3.7.0 beta (or even 3.6.4 release) while keeping the current database doesn't fix this issue.


      Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of it or direct me to where and what i can try to dig out? If some additional information is required - I am ready to collect and post it.


      Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

        • Re: Mood/Activity information is not sent to some users
          wroot KeyContributor

          I'm puzzled with the "mood/activity" term. What do you mean exactly, what is this? Because you said status is working fine, so i assume everyone is receiving online, free to chat, away, etc. statuses?

            • Re: Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak with Empathy
              plastikat Bronze

              These are pretty standard things:

              XEP-0107: User Mood

              XEP-0108: User Activity

              I suppose it can be called "extended statuses".


              Actually  almost none of public XMPP-servers offer mood/activity services to  users, but OpenFire supports this "out of box". Here is an XML debug log  of receiving activity information from one of the users (JID's are  omitted):


              <event xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event">
                   <items node="http://jabber.org/protocol/activity">
                        <item id="current">
                             <activity xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/activity">
                                       <cycling />
                                  <text />



              And yes, all users receive "standard statuses" (like online, free to chat, away, etc.) and all other information (like vCards, avatars etc.) normally. I've noticed this problem for mood/activity receiving only.



              The issue is the same with OpenFire 3.7.0 RELEASE

              I have found this list recently: protocol support

              I don't see XEPs I'm talking about in the list, but I see that XEP-0163 is supported - which is a transport for XEPs I'm talking about, so now I'm wondering if these XEPs are really supported by OpenFire...




              Finally, I've figured out that XEP-0163 actually is that notorious PEP (XEPs I'm talking about are part of it) and it's realization in Openfire is buggy and memory-eating. Thus, it's not surprising that it's not working as expected... So this question is not answered, but I'm taking it off - because it is a consequence of a bigger and more complicated problem.