Spark performance

Does anyone know when spark performance will become considerably better?

Many users have issues with spark using up lots of memory and CPU resources.

Is there any version out there that does not have the spikes in CPU

usage or is there any way to increase spark performance on lower

resource PC’s?

Is the Adobe AIR based spark client by any means close to being available as a beta?

If anyone has any of these answers please respond.

My company has just rolled Spark into production for 100+ employees and a very common complaint is that Spark is using too many resources and causing lock-ups and other problems with their machines. In a few instances, it is unmistakable that when Spark is running, the system’s stability is SEVERELY hampered, enough so that the person cannot function when Spark is running. As soon as they close Spark, things run smoothly again. I’ve benchmarked the memory, disk, CPU usage of Spark vs our old client (AIM) and although Spark uses more, it is not enough of a difference to warrant the drastic problems it is causing.

Any suggestions for this? Most of the users reporting problems are running 256MB of RAM, but some are running 512MB. Their memory usage however does not seem to be capping out when they experience problems, so I don’t believe that is the sole problem.

I have had pretty good luck with slow computers by limiting the amount of memory on spark. for windows you can do that by editing the shortcut and add this after the “program path”-Xms <initial size> -Xmx <maximum size>

Can you give me an exact example. I’m not quite sure how to add that and when i added it like:

Taget: “C:\Program Files\Spark\Spark.exe” -Xms <30M> -Xmx <80M>

it did not seem to do the trick. now I am perplexed.

would love to know how to limit the amount of RAM it uses.

Please give me an example of RAM for instance minimum size 30MB and MAX of 80MB

Thanks for any help you can offer

This article helped me a lot: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1153

Although, I would really like to hear what kind of settings I should TRY when trying to determine/fix problems my users are experiencing (lockups, slowness). Most of the users reporting problems are running Windows XP, some have 256 MB RAM and others, 512 MB. But it definitely appears to somehow be Spark-related. If they close Spark (even if they use AIM instead), they do not have the problems.

Please offer some suggestions!

As a long time Spark user i dont believe it will ever be considerably faster Maybe with Java 7, or 8. There is no Light version. Those memory vmoptions i think will just make Spark using less memory, but wount help with it’s slowness and lockups. It’s a java app, and maybe not efficiently coded. But, maybe it wount be such pretty and nice for everyone if it would be coded with speed in mind (compare with JBother, it’s a nice java client, but doesnt impress from the GUI side).

Adobe AIR version is not in the near future at all.

I’m using Spark at work with 512MB RAM and many other resource consuming apps together. I do face slowness and lockups sometimes. But not so often and i get used to it. I think if you are using Spark intensively it doesnt become sluggish, but if you leave it idle for a while it will take some time to get up. So, personally i can bare with such problems and use Spark, but i cant deploy this program to my users because of that. All other bugs or features missing is not a problem.

Not much help from my post

I would like to know when spark will work with Vista. I have several sites that would like to utilize spark but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get it to run, even if I install and run it in XP service pack 2 compatability mode. It just never starts.

I’m running Vista Business (32-bit) and used the regular Spark 2.5.8 installer (I also ran 2.5.8 beta 1 before this one). It works fine on my system, no real issues.

I can run spark (as far back as 2.5.3) on vista Business and Ultimate with no problems and several of my users using this combo

Would love to know how you do it, cause I cannot get it to run.

In the /program files/spark/error file, there is one entry:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jivesoftware/Restarter

This is a bump. I just re-downloaded the 2.5.8 client, unistalled spark & deleted the /program files/spark directory. Restart my computer, ran the install as administer & the install never starts spark. If I click on the spark Incon (which is not created on the desktop or quickstart items, only under start / programs/spark) the cursor changes for 1 second and nothing happens.

My error log file looks like this:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.start(Startup.java:83)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.main(Startup.java:33)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source)

at java.util.Properties.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.useSSO(LoginDialog.java:709)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.<init>(LoginDialog.java:390)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog.invoke(LoginDialog.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.startup(Spark.java:165)

… 12 more

My output file looks like this:

Debug is true storeKey false useTicketCache true useKeyTab false doNotPrompt true ticketCache is null isInitiator true KeyTab is null refreshKrb5Config is false principal is null tryFirstPass is false useFirstPass is false storePass is false clearPass is false

Acquire TGT from Cache

Principal is null

null credentials from Ticket Cache

authentication failed

Unable to obtain Princpal Name for authentication

What do I have to do to fix this?

Did you delete the Spark folder from your user’s profile folder? All your local settings are stored there.

Yes I did. I thought I had said that in my previous post. I even rebooted after deleting everything.

You mentioned deleting the directory in program files, but did not mention the one in documents and settings\someusername. This is where settings for SSO and other specifics regarding connections are stored.

Ahhhhhhhhh. Thanks, that did the trick.