FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Do I need to have a DNS SRV Record for OpenFire to work?

Wildfire runs fine even without DNS SRV records. It makes sense to use them to make sure that s2s-connection work fine, if you are using non-standard ports and if you want to use example.com as your web server and as your xmmp.domain using different servers.

Further documentation: http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/2/docs/section05.html#5_7_1

What should I set my XMPP domain to?

Recommendation: Set this like your email domain. (to example.com) and use DNS SRV records to make sure that the xmpp clients connect to your Wildfire server and not to your web server.

You can set it of course to jabber.example.com for tests and also for a production but most users prefer one address (username@example.com) for email and chat.

How does Server-2-Server work?

It just works, as soon as a user “foo@example.org” sends a message to “foo@example.net” Wildfire establishes a s2s connection. See also d-1030.

I get an out of memory error, what should i do?

This means that the JVM could has used up all the memory that the server has to the extent of the allocated memory (basically, you need to set more memory). An interesting document on how to do this is describe in this document: d-1033

Only some applications are able to connect, How come?

This could possible be because not all ports are open, for a list of ports that need to be open you should either visit your Openfire’s logged in admin page or view the list below to help recognise the ports better.

What ports does OpenFire use?

port

protocol

description

XMPP

client connection, plain and secure using TLS. Make sure the clients can connect to it.

XMPP

client connection using the old SSL method. Enable this if you have users with old clients that don’t support TLS.

?

Service that allows Flash clients connect to other hostnames and ports.

XMPP

connection manager, see http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/wildfire/connection_manager.jsp

XMPP

server to server port. Only needed to get s2s working

SOCK5

file transfer proxy. Small files can be transfered over the proxy, so no port-forwarding is needed on client side.

HTTP

HTTP Binding. If possible, use the encrypted one…

HTTPS

HTTP Binding, e.g. used for JWChat

HTTP

Openfire admin page. If possible, block this and use the encrypted one…

HTTPS

Openfire admin page using SSL. Block this port in your firewall if you don’t need remote access.

XMPP

external components, like the pyTransports

I can’t login to my server, what’s going on?

If you have changed the ports of your servers XMPP protocols then it might be best to enter that into the client, if you’ve made it so that they users have to connect with SSL then make sure that port 5223 is open (standard unless changed). If this seems to be unsuccessfull then perhaps it might be best to take a look at the Operating Systems firewall, there may be some unopen ports or some rules that are blocking traffic data to these ports.

I’ve just upgraded from 3.4.x to 3.5.0 and the control panel looks really bizzare, what happened?

More than likely your browser is using an outdated version of the images and style sheet, to overcome this problem, merely press F5 on your keyboard when faced with this page.

I’ve just updated a plugin and now it’s not there/not working anymore, what should i do?

This can happen sometimes in OpenFire, the best thing to do here is to restart OpenFire, that should fix the issue and the plugin should start functioning once again with the new and updated version.

How to use special characters, such as the @ symbol in JabberIDs?

You need to escape some special characters, e.g. simply replace the @ symbol with \40. When using some special unicode characters (not listed here) it can lead into problems, if your database does not support them.

Unescaped Character
Encoded Sequence

\20
"
\22
&
\26

\27
/
\2f
:
\3a
<
\3c

\3e
@
\40

\5c

Hi LG,

I think calling this an FAQ is somehow misleading. One would expect to see an FAQ doc as literally an FAQ doc. One way to do that is perhaps to browse through the threads and group them together based on topic of discussion and come out with something like:

1. How to run openfire?

There are several ways to run openfire… blah… blah… Further discussion can be found in thread 1, 4, 23, blah… blah… The official doc to install and run openfire is blah… blah…

On the other hand, for this kind of doc, I’d say the more suitable title would be “Openfire Miscellany”.

Hi,

you may feel free to rename it and spend a more useful title for it, I hope that this is possible for you. It should be open for everyone who can create documents - I did just copy the wiki.igniterealtime.org content “as-is” as this is the fastest way to migrate content.

LG

Re-worded the headings to make it more FAQ-like. I did not verify the accuracy of the entries.

Done some corrections about the ports.

Added section about special characters.

Good job LG, can you update the broken links? Thanks