Can't connect to openfire server from spark

i am new to this tool i even dn’t know wether can i connect to this server from remote system to the server in the sence the system is not in the same lan .I tried to connect but got an error:server not found i tried with my ip address and server name too.Can some one explain me what was the reason.

And i found error in my log record as;

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.DefaultConnectionBuilder.buildConnection(DefaultConn ectionBuilder.java:39)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.buildConnection(Prototyper.java:159)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ConnectionPool.getConnection(ConnectionPool.java:211 )

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.ProxoolDriver.connect(ProxoolDriver.java:89)

at org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider.getConnection(EmbeddedConn ectionProvider.java:61)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.setConnectionProvider(DbConnectio nManager.java:620)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:100)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveProperties.loadProperties(JiveProperties.java:344)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveProperties.init(JiveProperties.java:90)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveProperties$JivePropertyHolder.(JiveProperties .java:57)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveProperties.getInstance(JiveProperties.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveGlobals.getProperty(JiveGlobals.java:551)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.initialize(XMPPServer.java:349)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:468)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:212)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:58)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

2012.05.04 12:48:01 org.jivesoftware.openfire.update.UpdateManager - Error checking for updates

java.net.UnknownHostException: www.igniterealtime.org

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocke t(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:80)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocke t(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:122)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:707)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDir ector.java:387)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirect or.java:171)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:397)

at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:323)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.update.UpdateManager.checkForServerUpdate(UpdateManag er.java:226)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.update.UpdateManager$1.run(UpdateManager.java:142)

So,please some one help me in solving this.thanks in advance.

That logs indicates a ‘unknown host exception’ - Are you able to ping the Openfire server by name from the Windows client? Does it work by IP? If not, does it give a different error? Can you telnet to the openfire server on port 5222 from the client to verify the correct firewall holes are open?

Firstly let me know one thing weather can i connect to openfire server from

a remote system in the sense i am at hyderabad and trying to connect from a

system at vijayawada .Is it possible.If so tell me what to do.(dn’t mind) i

am knew to this networking.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM, dcoulson <communityadmin@igniterealtime.org

i connected to spark from the same system where i installed server and there was no problem.only the problem is when i tried from remote server.(error:server not found).

Sounds like you still have a DNS problem - Can you connect to it by IP?

no,the same problem when tried using IP address

what to do know??

thax in advance

1 Like

What happens if you try to telnet to port 5222 on the IP address you specify? If you are connecting by IP, you should not get a unknown host error, although you may have a different problem - I assume you can ping the IP from the client?

1 Like

when i tried to connect from spark client from the same machine where server is hosted

1)in place of server name field-LOCALHOST then no problem it connected.

2)in place of server name field-IP address of my system then error:can’t connect to the server :invalid name r server not reachable.

Ans is my system IP address same to server IP address here??

i hope you understood what’s the problem is.Let me know the solution

not reachable indicates you have a networking issue. i presume you can’t ping it either. solve that then try again.

If you dn’t mind can you explain me clearly what to do i didn’t get you.plzz let me know clearly

can it detect the system which is not in the same LAN??

If you use DNS, yes it can. but your DNS is not setup properly.

Can you ping your openfire server from whtever you are using as a client? Maybe if you actually post some details, someone can help. You have a network issue, and need to solve that before you can get openfire/spark to work. No one here knows how your network is setup, so you either need to post a bunch of information to aid in troubleshooting that, or fix it and come back when you have the basics working.

I have a similar problem but different logs. I cant telnet openfire server on port 5222.

But i think the problem could be something else, as when I try logging using spark in from some others system I still get the same error, but my friend can login through spark.

Can you please help me on this. The client log which is get is on this discussion

Thanks.

Simply put when you install openfire that is meant to be accessed by remote sites the server name given during the config must be a FQDN that can be looked up via the remote site. For example if you have a real world domain of www.somecompany.com your may make the openfire server openfire.somecompany.com and then add dns entries for the server accordingly. Then open port 5222 to the server.

Actually that all is added already. Its just that its not working for my system in the whole organisation.

Everyone else is able to login and see contacts. Also all the contacts are accessed by Active Directory.

When i login i get the following error.

SEVERE:

No response from the server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverItems(ServiceDiscoveryM anager.java:492)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverItems(ServiceDiscoveryM anager.java:461)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.SessionManager.discoverItems(SessionManager.java:94)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.SessionManager.initializeSession(SessionManager.java:82)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:1018)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$1200(LoginDialog.java:219)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$4.construct(LoginDialog.java:730)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:141)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hey Ashish,

I’m having the same problem. Did you find out what was wrong?

I can consistently reproduse the problem with the current version of spark and the beta.

The error only shows up when connecting to a server that is not running openfire 3.7.1.

Spark 2.6.3

SEVERE:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverItems(ServiceDiscoveryM anager.java:492)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverItems(ServiceDiscoveryM anager.java:461)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.SessionManager.initializeSession(SessionManager.java:82)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:1018)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$1200(LoginDialog.java:219)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$4.construct(LoginDialog.java:730)

Spark 2.7.0 Beta

SEVERE:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverItems(ServiceDiscoveryM anager.java:601)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverItems(ServiceDiscoveryM anager.java:570)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:1060)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$1400(LoginDialog.java:303)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$4.construct(LoginDialog.java:835)

I know this post is kind of old but I had the same issue and I wanted to share my solution in case anyone else is looking for the fix…

I had a similar issue on a TS that was running Openfire, I could login on the local server with Spark but not from a remote machine.

The issue for me that the windows firewall. I allowed the client ports (5222 and 5223) for TCP and UPD.

As soon as I added that Spark would authenticate not problem.

You only need 5222 tcp port open on the server. 5223 is an obsolete port and usually not used. You also doesn’t need udp ports.