Troubleshooting Jingle

Hi all,

as I asume Spark is not really supported anymore. Hopefully the community knows enough - me not.

It seems a lot of people are having troubles with jingle (audio chat) in Spark.

Some of them have already solved a problem, but did not publish the solution.

So I try to open a new post where we can find some answers, not only questions.

I want to implement IM for internal use only.

I have the problem that the button to begin a voice call does not appear.

Server: Openfire 3.5.1 on Windows Server 2003 SP2

Client: Spark 2.5.8 Windows XP and Vista

Plug-In: Jingle Client 1.0 by Jive Software

Everything is installed out of the box (using the integrated Database and LDAP Directory Server).

Clients are connected to the same network segment (one switch).

Media Proxy and STUN settings are disabled on the serverside. I guess for peer to peer connections there is no need for configuring these settings.

One thing I do not understand ist the description at the Openfire STUN settings:

STUN is a protocol that lets clients discover their network settings, including firewall and NAT device configuration. Use of the protocol is required for clients to establish peer to peer media sessions.

Maybe someone can explain it.

What I tried until now:

Changing some server settings (media proxy and STUN)

Testing different clients (psi and coccinella)

Changing the login servername, servername, servername.localdomainname, IPAdress

Using other ressources

…everything without success.

So now I just have ONE question. What can I do to make the dial function working properly and the dial button to appear? (maybe two questions )

Thank you for your help!!!

Audio setup in Openfire is very simple. But you need more than setup in Openfire, do the correct firewall configurations for STUN and MediaProxy.

• Both Services uses UDP.

• UDP Ports: 3478 and 10000 to 15000 MUST be opened to receive and send to ALL internet IPs.

• The machine that hosts these services MUST be directly connected to the internet.

• Make sure you have these services enabled in the Openfire that your Spark is connected to.

( We didn’t add Vista support for Jingle. As long JMF has some issues with it. Please use XP to test. )

Regards,

Thiago

Thank you for your quick reply. Maybe there was a mixup.

I do not want my clients to connect via Internet right now.

I already have these troubles in my LAN. So I guess we can exclude the firewall as error source.

• Both Services uses UDP.

• UDP Ports: 3478 and 10000 to 15000 MUST be opened to receive and send to ALL internet IPs.

• The machine that hosts these services MUST be directly connected to the internet.

• Make sure you have these services enabled in the Openfire that your Spark is connected to.

I think these 4 points are necessary for external (via Internet) connections only?

kr

Please check if your internal LAN doesn’t have an embed firewall preventing UDP traffic.

And also, please enable Media Proxy and STUN Settings.

Make sure you test this in different machines. If the error is the “Call button”.

Best Regards,

Thiago

Thank´s again for your response.

I don´t use any internal firewall, even no software firewall (like zone alarm).

I am testing different PC´s on different sites (connected via VPN, no ports blocked) - of course also on the same site where the server server is positioned.

I tried to configure Media Proxy and STUN.

I am able to enable the Media Proxy, but how can I enable STUN?

My drop down menu is restricted to use the internal NIC IP only.

Do I have to configure a public IP in primary address (when I use IM only internal in our VPN network)?

If yes, how can I input the address?

Do I need a secondary address (or is it for reliablity only)?

Thank´s in advance!