Fastpath java.lang.NullPointerException

I receive the following error when I try to create a group in fastpath. After I move past the message the group is created however when I click on a group to edit I receive the same message again.

I saw another post that references the same problem and the solution is to replace the xstream.jar file in the lib directory with the latest version but this did not work for me. Any other ideas why I would receive this error?

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.plugin.fastpath.workgroup_002dqueues_jsp._jspService( workgroup_002dqueues_jsp.java:466)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginServlet.handleJSP(PluginServlet.java: 247)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.container.PluginServlet.service(PluginServlet.java:10 5)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:530)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1216)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1187)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1187)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:74)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:50)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:164)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:425)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:494)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:93 3)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:362)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:867 )

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler Collection.java:245)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.jav a:126)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:113)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:334)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:559)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConne ction.java:992)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:541)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:203)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:406)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:4 62)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:436)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Just had the same problem. Solution is to replace the xstream.jar with latest version and remove the fastpath data in ypur database and start again.

I have a fastpath.jar in my plugin folder. In not sure if i need to replace in this jat or somewhere else. Btw. what is the newest version, do you have a link or is this included with openfire istelf?

I will try https://nexus.codehaus.org/content/repositories/releases/com/thoughtworks/xstrea m/xstream/1.4.4/xstream-1.4.4.jar

Ca u please type the exact sql i need to execute on openfire database?

Btw. worth to mention.

The jar seems to be packed, dunno if it works if not. However this is the cmd to pack the xtstream.jar

C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\bin\pack200.exe --no-gzip xstream.jar.pack xstream.jar

You do not need to remove the fastpath data in your database.

Simply remove the fastpath from the plugin web console and re-install it. Then stop the openfire services and replace the xstream.jar file in the lib directory under fastpath plugin and restart the services.

I was able to fix this error on a Debian 7 (wheezy) server after a fresh installation today using the latest openfire_3.8.2_all.deb installer.

What I did was get the latest “xstream”, and then replaced the file at /var/lib/openfire/plugins/fastpath/lib/xstream.jar with the newer version using these steps:

root@openfire# apt-get install libjenkins-xstream-java

root@openfire# cp /usr/share/maven-repo/org/jvnet/hudson/xstream/debian/xstream-debian.jar \

/var/lib/openfire/plugins/fastpath/lib/

root@openfire# cd /var/lib/openfire/plugins/fastpath/lib

root@openfire# mv xstream.jar xstream.OLD

root@openfire# mv xstream-debian.jar xstream.jar

root@openfire# chown openfire:openfire xstream.jar

root@openfire# chmod 640 xstream.jar

root@openfire# service openfire restart

The error went away and I can manage my Fastpath workgroups now. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you @Justin, this SOLVED my problem!