Updated to 3.7.1 and everything was reset!

I’m full of RAGE!!!

I was running 3.7.0 on windows, on windows server 2008… for several weeks and everything was just fine…

A few minutes a go I saw the news and decided to update

Guess what… everything was reset!!! The users, I even couldn’t enter with the admin user (not even with the default password)…

Is this normal?!?!? To reset every thing and not even an alert for this?!?!

Can anyone please tell me what is the file(s) where is located the user database, cause I have a shadow copy of the files and I probably can restore the database…

Please I need help!!!

I’m very disappointed with this piece of software…

On the Mac version, I have to manually retain two files, and replace them post-upgrade:

openfire/conf/openfire.xml

openfire/resources/security/keystore

The upgrades have always wiped out these files, which resets all of your site settings and screws up security tokens. I don’t know why it does this, but it does. If you can pull those two files from backup, you should be up and running again.

Actually, I now stand corrected. I just installed 3.7.1 on the Mac, and everything was retained. Apparently they fixed that bug at some point along the way–at least, on the Mac installer. Maybe the bug just crawled across the filespace into the Windows installer.

I did manage to restore everything with the shadow copie files from win2k8

Can anyone tell me how do I install the new version AND mantain all previous settings?!?

Installing on Windows XP on top of 3.7.0 didn’t reset anything for me. I will try it on Win7 later. Did you do this upgrade logged in as admin or via Run as administrator option?

I’m on a win2k server machine… of course the instalation was made when logged as admin…

Im also really keen to hear the answer on this.

I have a Win 2008 server.

Win2k? maybe you mean 2003 Server?

Adam Venn wrote:

Im also really keen to hear the answer on this.

I have a Win 2008 server.

I have installed 3.7.0 on Win7 (same codebase as Win2008 R2, i don’t have Vista/Win2008 to test on). Created a user, generated self-signed certificates. Then i have installed 3.7.1 on top. It got stuck on doing “Uninstalling the previous version”. It is a long standing issue, i suppose with the install4j installer, which we are using to build all installers. Sometimes this happens on XP too, most of the time not. So i have killed the process after waiting for a minute. Then i have repeated the setup, it have skipped the uninstalling part as it probably has already done everything on the first run. Then i have launched the admin console and the client and everything was saved, my settings, user, and certificates.

By the way. You can do a backup before doing an upgrade (just copy the whole Openfire directory). If something goes wrong, then just uninstall the new version, delete all files, install the previous version and copy old files on top.

As you may see on my first post is a win2k8 server x64, ie. windows 2008 server x64…

I also got the uninstaller part… and as obviously, cause I didn’t knew that it removed all my data stuff, I run the uninstalling procedure…

I’m going install a second time but trying to skip the uninstalling part…

No, you shouldn’t skip anything. I didn’t do this manually, it just skipped that part automatically on the second run. It always do this “uninstall”, but it doesn’t remove configuration or user data. I think this is mostly removing registry and menu entries with the old version number and also probably deleting old executables and resources files.

As i said, i don’t have Vista/Win2008 in my test environment. So maybe someone else can comment how their update went on. I think i’ll do a poll about this.

Ok, I just did a second install, it uninstalled the previous version and all that, but this time I rebooted the win2k8 machine!!!

Guess what, everything was keept…

I gues the installer shoud provide a warning to reset the machine so that everything would be ok…

I gues the installer shoud provide a warning to reset the machine so that everything would be ok…

This doesn’t make sense. Openfire is not installing any drivers, librabries to the system, so i see no point to restart the system. Also, upgrade is done while Openfire is shut down (i hope you do shut down it before upgrading). So i see no point in restarting the system and that this can somehow affect saving of settings. Your case is an “anomaly” and usually upgrade doesn’t wipe settings, like it didn’t wipe anything for me in 2 installs (XP, Win7).

I did an upgrade on my server yesterday to 3.7.1 and everything went as smooth as silk :slight_smile:

Unless you are using the test internal embedded DB, 99% of your settings and user data would be in a an external database and retained after an upgrade. I agree with wroot. Your case seems peculiar. I have neever needed to restart my server after installing Openfire ever.

Still, it pays to plan and backup before you perform any type of upgrade in future

It beats me why this time worked…

Remember, the 2nd time was like it was the first, cause I restored all my files via shadow copie…

But yes, by the logic it shouldn’t need any machine restart, the simple turn off/on from Openfire server acts like a restart…

By the way, I do use the internal DB…

By the way, I do use the internal DB…

That explains how you lost all your settings, users and data.

The internal DB is HSQL which stores the entire databases in memory and writes it back to a text file in the embedded folder when Openfire closes. It is quite possible that a combinations of events occuring on your server including Windows file caching caused you to end up with a corrupt text file especially since you could not log in afterwards with default or old admin password. The reboot may help by flushing all file caches.

My advice for your next upgrade, backup the embedded folder or better still, try using MySQL or PostgreSQL. They are both open source and free to use.

I use embedded-db on my production server (linux though) and on my test servers (2 or 3 now) and never have had problems. In the past there were problems if you would quickly turn off and try to turn on the Openfire, then the database file can become locked. But it never corrupted the database itself and simple application restart did the trick. Maybe his database is big and Openfire doesn’t stop the data writing to the database file before he starts the upgrade. Hard to tell what is happening without a closer look at the system (maybe with Process Explorer or Process Monitor, to see what program accesses what files and what errors occurs).

sorry, but that does not explains how I lost everything on the Openfire upgrade process…

The installer simply removed all my files and installed the new version and that is not acceptable, at least if not given an previous alert that indeed this would happen during the new instalation…

This was my first update that I did on Openfire, I’m a relative new user with the openfire server… but judjing by the comments, this never should be happened wether I was using the internal or external db… wether I was using win mac or linux, etc…

A good installer should have only replaced the core of openfire server and maintained the user db, settings, etc…