Java Memory Help!

Hello Everyone !

I am using Openfire 3.6.4 on an Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8 server… Everything has been running really great… however I am noticing a few minor things like not being able to login to the admin console … until I restart the server… I am noticing in the Server Information pane Java Memory 126.17 MB of 126.62 MB (99.6%) used. I have been reading other threads on this but cannot seem to find the location of what is stated in those threads… Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what to do for this on an openfire install on Apple System ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

I’m currently evaluating Openfire and have run into similar issues. When it runs out of memory it becomes unresponsive. You could increase the amount of memory available to the server, but of course that has limits. Beyond that, I’m still trying to figure out what to do

Thanks for the info… the server has 1 gb Memory installed… the only thing running on the server is one web site and the openfire jabber server… this is in a company setting and has very limited use… ( less than 100 people accessing the jabber server and less than 20 people on the website at a time… )

berto

Openfires up to and including version 3.6.4 suffer from a memory leak in its PEP component. If your Openfire domain is crashing with OutOfMemoryExceptions, you might be having this problem.

As a workaround, you can disable PEP, by setting the Openfire property xmpp.pep.enable to false.

More information can be found in this discussion: Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak with Empathy

To monitor your memory usage (and other important components), I recommend using a monitoring tool such as Java-monitor: New Openfire monitoring plugin

Message was edited by: Guus der Kinderen

Guus, isn’t it xmpp.pep.enable instead?

I did find this to help me out as all of the postings did not… What I found out helped my issue with the Java Memory …

open the console or admin page…

go to Cache Summary… clear the cache…

restart the server…

this puts the java memory usage back to a useable area…

this has resolved what has been going on for my server…

thanks for all the replies !

Thanks for all the suggestions !

Oops