Skip navigation
4026 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2010 6:32 AM by epian RSS
epian Bronze 4 posts since
Jan 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 13, 2010 5:30 AM

Tinder and Libidn License

Tinder is licensed under the Apache 2.0 now.

But, Tinder depends on Libidn which is licensed under the LGPL.

Now, I have a question.

Does the software which uses Tinder need to comply with the LGPL?

In other words, does the software need to follow the requirements in section 6 of the LGPL?

• Guus der Kinderen KeyContributor 836 posts since
    Sep 8, 2005
    Jan 13, 2010 8:47 AM (in response to epian)
    Re: Tinder and Libidn License

As I understand it: no, you don't need to release your software under the LGPL license if that software uses LGPL libraries. There is a distinction between GPL and LGPL here.

Tinder can be characterized as a "work that uses the Library" as defined in the LGPL. The LGPL (v2.1) reads in section 6:

you may also combine or link a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that the terms permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse engineering for debugging such modifications.

As I understand it, we do allow this.

Additionally, the Why you shouldn't use the Lesser GPL for your next library article on gnu.org indicates that you can use LGPLed software in non-free programs:

using the Lesser GPL permits use of the library in proprietary programs; using the ordinary GPL for a library makes it available only for free programs.

As LibIDN is released under the LGPL, it can be used in proprietary programs.

• Guus der Kinderen KeyContributor 836 posts since
        Sep 8, 2005
        Jan 23, 2010 12:06 PM (in response to epian)
        Re: Tinder and Libidn License

Section 6 of the LGPL reads:

(...) you may also compile or link a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that the terms permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse engineering for debugging such modifications.

Note the "under terms of your choice" part in the above quote. Although I'm not an expert, I simplify this as:

1. Tinder is the work that needs to comply with the LibIDN license (LGPL), and
        2. that works that use Tinder need to comply with its license only (Apache)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points