Skip navigation
10453 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2010 9:15 AM by Walter Ebeling RSS
Athena Yao Bronze 4 posts since
Aug 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2009 3:51 AM

[patch] Upgrading Openfire to  use Jetty 7 Continuations

I'm from the Jetty development team, and we're interested in helping upgrade the continuations in Openfire from jetty-6-style continuations to jetty-7-style continuations. One advantage of upgrading is that while jetty-6-style continuations were a  Jetty-specific mechanism, the jetty-7-style continuations are portable and work with a variety of containers. This means that they'll work asynchronously with Jetty 6/7/8 and any servlet-3.0 containers. They're also still compatible with servlet-2.5 containers, where they'll be blocking.

We've had a few API changes, so switching versions requires a bit more than just dropping in updated JAR, but it's not an extreme change, either. I have three patches:

1. openfire.jetty6.patch
    • converts the continuations, with the addition of a filter to make the new-style continuations work with Jetty 6
    • keep the existing jetty-6 JARs
    • requires one new JAR file jetty-continuations.jar  (direct download link)
  2. openfire.upgrade.jetty7.patch
    • upgrades jetty-6 to jetty-7
    • requires a few new JAR files, all noted in the diff for the versions.txt, and downloadable as JARs
  3. openfire.continuations.jetty7.patch
    • converts the continuations

The *.jetty7.patch patches need to be combined for the project to compile; I've separated them out this way to make it easier to determine what was changed, and why.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points