Skip navigation
63664 Views 92 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 6:44 AM by ewolkowicz RSS
Dave Bronze 18 posts since
Oct 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2009 2:44 AM

Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak with Empathy

Hi all,

We've just installed Opefire 3.6.4 using the RPM from this site (with the bundled JRE). We have about 60 users, using a mixture of Spark, Empathy 2.28.0.1, Pidgin 2.5.5 and something called SJPhone.

We seem to be getting a leak, where memory just keeps going up until the server falls over. The machine has 1GB of RAM, with 768MB Max for the JVM.

The "Environment" section currently looks like this:

Java Version:1.6.0_03 Sun Microsystems Inc. -- Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
Appserver:jetty-6.1.x
Host Name:cammesg01.city-link.co.uk
OS / Hardware:Linux / i386
Locale / Timezone:en / Greenwich Mean Time                     (0 GMT)
Java Memory
657.56 MB of 759.50 MB (86.6%) used

This seems unacceptably high. The GC from Java releases a little each time, but after about a day or so it's usually all used up and the server falls over.

The plugins installed are: Broadcast, Client Control, Monitoring, Presence, User Search, User Import/Export

Database is MySQL. Remote Services Disabled. Connection Manager Disabled. Media Proxy Disabled.

Current Users
Low:                                 059High:                                 60

Active Conversations
Low:                                 07High:                                 13

Packets Per Minute
Low:                                 8191High:                                 461

I'd like to start using this server for more users via the http-bind functionality and strophejs, but need to get this leaky problem sorted out first. Any ideas why this could be happening?

All I can think of doing is upgrading the Java version but I get a feeling this won't solve the issue.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

• cgaeth Bronze 3 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    Oct 12, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to Dave)
    Re: Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak

We are having the same issue.  What is interesting is that we did not have this problem until I started using Empathy.  The rest of the staff use PSI or Pidgin.  I was the only user using Empathy that comes with the Ubuntu 9.10 edition. 

• StaticVortex Silver 138 posts since
    Jun 22, 2006
    Oct 13, 2009 4:19 PM (in response to Dave)

We are also experiencing a memory leak issue.

We have 3GB dedicated to Openfire and the memory just slowly leaks away. Right now Openfire is using 1.7GB and the cache shows that it has cached about 400MB. There are only 2400 people online (relatively quiet).

We are running on Ubuntu server. In the evenings when the site is busy (around 7000 people online) the memory is totally used up and the GC is running continuously. It will crash after a few days as there won't be enough RAM. If I restart openfire the memory usage will drop right back to a few hundred MB like it should be.

Can anyone advise a good way to hunt down what is going on with all our memory?

Thanks

Daniel

• mikeycmccarthy Silver 187 posts since
      Jan 7, 2009
      Oct 13, 2009 4:33 PM (in response to StaticVortex)

A guy in the team thinks he has found the problem from analyzing a dump - we'll know a bit more tomorrow so I'll let you know if anything comes up.

I've read in a few places that Smack has a few memory leaks, and there are some patches floating around JIRA to fix them. In our most recent load tests the load test agents are crashing before the server really gets any good load, possibly due to this Smack bug. Obviously it's a client problem not a server problem but we need to fix that before we can do any more investigation. And hope XIFF doesn't have similar problems because that's what our real clients will be using...

We're using Grinder to load test but if people using Tsung seem to be pretty happy with it from what I've read.

Jun 22, 2006
        Oct 13, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to mikeycmccarthy)

We are also using XIFF - but how could that be causing memory leaks in Openfire? Could it have something to do with how Openfire responds to keep-alive. I'll have a look into it also.

Jan 7, 2009
          Oct 14, 2009 2:30 AM (in response to StaticVortex)

Hi, this is what the guy in the team has found.

- Openfire uses MINA which handles a session per socket. Each session has a queue of messages with no limit on this. Everytime you write a message to a session, it gets appended to the queue waiting for the client to process.

- If the client hangs and can't process the message (i.e. send an TCP/IP ACK back), the queue grows and it looks like an Openfire leak. Openfire eventually runs out of memory.

This would mean that any client machine, using any XMPP implementation (XIFF/Smack) could potentially bring down Openfire if it doesn't send that ACK.

I'd like to hear an Openfire developer's take on this to see if they agree.

Jun 22, 2006
            Oct 14, 2009 2:37 AM (in response to mikeycmccarthy)

That is very interesting. I assume the connection would timeout though if it doesn't get a response?

Nothing to do with the ACK but is anyone using the User Service Plugin? I just restarted this and our memory usage surprisingly dropped by about 300MB? I will have a look at the source code in this also to see if I can see any potential issues.

• Guus der Kinderen KeyContributor 836 posts since
            Sep 8, 2005
            Oct 19, 2009 11:47 AM (in response to mikeycmccarthy)

I've created a new JIRA issue ( OF-70) to track this issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was introduced when JM-1066 was fixed. Is anyone able/willing to test a patch, if I provide it as a diff?

Sep 8, 2005
              Oct 19, 2009 12:06 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

(said diff can be found in the JIRA issue)

Jun 22, 2006
                Oct 19, 2009 3:47 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

I will apply this patch and see how it goes. If it fixes the memory leak it will be very obvious in our environment.

Thanks for looking into this issue,

Daniel

Jun 22, 2006
                Oct 19, 2009 4:56 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

I have applied this patch to our live server and we'll know during peak time in about 12 hours if it fixes the issue.

Thanks

Jun 22, 2006
                Oct 19, 2009 5:19 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

I had to roll this back again.

The patch resulted in everyone getting logged out after about 5 minutes of being connected.

There must be more to it?

Thanks

Sep 8, 2005
                  Oct 25, 2009 4:58 AM (in response to StaticVortex)

My patch disconnected all idle clients (clients that had not been sent any data for a while). As you've found, that's not the best of solutions. Instead, the code should detect write timeouts. Luckily, MINA appears to offer that functionality.

I've modified the patch to detect write-timeouts. I haven't been able to test this yet, but could one of you give it a try?

The patch can be found in JIRA issue OF-70.

Jun 22, 2006
                    Oct 25, 2009 5:59 AM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

I will test this new patch and let you know how we go.

Thanks

Jun 22, 2006
                    Oct 26, 2009 10:23 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

We ran the patch during peak time but unfortunately we are still leaking memory. Its very frustrating.

Saying that it doesn't mean your patch hasn't fixed other issues, it just hasn't solved the issue we are experiencing.

And this latest patch hasn't caused any new problems which is good.

It would be good if some others with memory leaks could also test this.

Thanks

Daniel

• FrancoisT Bronze 10 posts since
                      Oct 27, 2009
                      Oct 27, 2009 5:58 AM (in response to StaticVortex)

Hi Guus

I'm ok to test it, but I just don't know how to apply the patch. Would you mind explaining me how? Thanks!

Sep 8, 2005
                      Oct 27, 2009 12:34 PM (in response to StaticVortex)

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear the patch didn't solve your issue. The patch was based on the description that (the guy in the team of) mikeycmccartarthy gave. Either I got the fix wrong, or your suffering from another problem.

I've got the feeling that several issues are being discussed in this thread. Things appear to get mixed up a bit. Perhaps we should discuss the issue that you're experiencing one-on-one. Could you send me a message or chat to me offline? You'll find my contact details in my profile.

Jan 7, 2009
                        Oct 27, 2009 11:12 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Hi Guus,

We started our load test at 2pm yesterday using the patched version of Openfire. I was going to try the disconnect when I got in this morning but Openfire died at about 2am, 12 hours later.

The test gradually ramps up to 4000 people chatting on the server, across 5 rooms, with a throughput of about 3.6 chats / second. Heap memory rises slowly til it's just over 1gb at 1:45, then suddenly it spikes up and Openfire dies.

I have lots of graphs, all logs etc, would really appreciate it if we could go through these together. I'm a bit worried that the Openfire load test stats on this website only show a short period of testing. Do you find you need to restart Openfire often for Nimbuzz and what is the typical load?

Many thanks

Michael

Sep 8, 2005
                          Oct 28, 2009 12:05 AM (in response to mikeycmccarthy)

Bummer. I had hoped we'd tackled this thing.

You can send me all of the raw data (graphs, logs, etc) to my private address (see my profile). I'm also interested in your test environment. Could you send me the details of that too, please?

Non-disclosure forbids me to be exact, but the amount of users that Nimbuzz processes is a lot, lot higher than what you're processing. They do have occasional problems, but restarts were typically required after a few weeks, not hours.

• moviebat Bronze 2 posts since
        Sep 19, 2009
        Oct 15, 2009 8:06 PM (in response to mikeycmccarthy)

We are using loadrunner8.1.

We cannot solve the problem of memory leak.

The tsung is just a tool.

Why the team don't look at this thread!

• wroot KeyContributor 8,216 posts since
          Jan 24, 2005
          Oct 16, 2009 1:26 AM (in response to moviebat)

moviebat wrote:

Why the team don't look at this thread!

Official JiveSoftware developers dont work actively on this project anymore, so there is only a group of users who try to fix issues and answer basic questions. It seems that there is only a small number of users doing load tests, so there is not much information about this.

Jan 7, 2009
            Oct 18, 2009 11:29 AM (in response to wroot)

We're now using Tsung to load test rather than Grinder and we're getting the same issues.

Does anyone know of an Openfire installation being used in any large-ish scale production environment? We're at the stage where I think we're going to have to abandon Openfire and use something like ejabberd : (

• Michael Bronze 10 posts since
    Apr 17, 2006
    Nov 4, 2009 4:06 AM (in response to Dave)

Hi folks,

I just noticed the same problem with 3.6.4.  I was using 3.6.3 before this until the pubsub problem (I've started a thread on this) surfaced.  I disabled pubsub in 3.6.4 and gave it a 1024M max heap.  With ~200 sessions, the heap was up to 1000M within a few hours.  None of the users are on Empathy though.

• aquitaine Bronze 3 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    Nov 11, 2009 2:10 AM (in response to Dave)

Thank god I found this thread - ever since I moved to Empathy in Ubuntu 9.10, my server has been crashing with 100% CPU usage. Changed server-to-server setting, increased java memory size, but no good. I just switched back to Linux Spark.

• cgarst Bronze 12 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009
    Nov 16, 2009 12:02 PM (in response to Dave)

I've been having this problem for awhile, making it more difficult to use Openfire in a Ubuntu environment. Is there any development being made on this?

Sep 8, 2005
    Nov 16, 2009 1:00 PM (in response to Dave)

Most of the people that are responding to this thread are reporting that Openfire runs out of memory (causing OutOfMemoryExceptions) after at least one user started to use the Empathy client. I've created a new bug report for the Empathy issue specificly: OF-82

So far, I've not been able to identify where things go wrong. We need your help!

I would like to receive a couple of  thread dumps (or possibly, a memory dump) of an instance of Openfire that is about to run out of memory. If you can provide these dumps, please contact me (contact details can be found in my profile).

Most likely, the memory leak is linked to specific functionality. Are there any clues as to what functionality causes this problem?

• davenz Bronze 49 posts since
      Nov 18, 2007
      Nov 16, 2009 1:55 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

I'll set up an Openfire instance in a Solaris zone on our private network specifically to test this. Keen to help if I can.

Cheers,

Dave

Nov 18, 2007
        Nov 16, 2009 8:44 PM (in response to davenz)

Right, I have the following set up on OpenSolaris snv_127

Server Properties
        Version:     Openfire 3.6.4

Environment
        Java Version:     1.6.0_15 Sun Microsystems Inc. -- Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
        Appserver:     jetty-6.1.x
        OS / Hardware:     SunOS / x86
        Java Memory     36.20 MB of 494.69 MB (7.3%) used

Using the embedded DB and local accounts only.

I've disabled anonymous login, inbound account registration, and the server-to-server service. All other settings are at defaults.

The only plug-in present is:

Search Provides support for Jabber Search (XEP-0055) 1.4.3

Next step, log in using Empathy on an Ubuntu 9.10 Virtualbox VM to see what happens....

Sep 8, 2005
      Nov 16, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Additionally, a list of all plugins that your system is running (if you didn't provide this list yet) could also be helpful.

Sep 8, 2005
        Nov 16, 2009 1:54 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

I'm noting now that at a number of users that are experiencing this problem are using the monitoring plugin. This could be coincidence, of course, but lets check, to be sure. Can you guys reproduce the problem without the monitoring plugin? Can you stop the problem by unloading the monitoring plugin (keep an eye on java-monitors memory usage graphs after you do this!)

Similar checks can be used to eliminate other plugins too.

Jan 7, 2009
          Nov 16, 2009 4:58 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Hi all,

I think I may have started some of this - I'm on holiday at the moment so this may be the last post for a while but just to sum up some of our findings when running quite an intensive load test on Openfire:

- We needed to add the stalled session property that Guus has mentioned. When our clients dropped off for various reasons (out of memory exceptions on clients, network errors etc) Openfire did not deal with it that efficiently.

- We set our heap size wrong on the Openfire server itself, we were under the impression it had more memory than it did so set our heap size too high.

- The settings for the logging of room conversations by default does not really lend itself to heavy MUC usage (but fine for IM). We were generating pretty high traffic (2000 users, something like 3 chats per second). If you look at the source code I believe the default is to log in batches of 50. I can't remember the interval off the top of my head but basically our log of messages stored in memory was way too high. We've now upped the batch size and shortened the interval size and it's behaving much better, logging 250 messages per minute, although as it's not a real SQL batch statement (it's individual inserts) I would imagine the database may be getting a bit of a hammering.

Anyway, I believe our Openfire is up for the time being - thanks for all your help all : )

Nov 18, 2007
          Nov 16, 2009 8:46 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Hi Guss,

Everything appears fine on the nascent test system I set up (above)....so out of curiosity I logged in to our production server using Empathy 2.28.1.1 from an Ubuntu 9.10 virtual machine. And bingo - it's all on. Empathy indeed appears to be the kiss of death for OpenFire.

I can confirm that what I'm seeing is without the monitoring plugin installed.

The production system details:

Version:             Openfire 3.6.4

Environment
          Java Version:     1.6.0_07 Sun Microsystems Inc. -- Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
          Appserver:     jetty-6.1.x
          OS / Hardware:     Linux / i386
          Java Memory     171.62 MB of 253.19 MB (67.8%) used

Other differences from the above system I posted:

- uses an external MySQL DB

- users authenticate using our coporate AD installation

I haven't got JConsole hooked up so am monitoring by refreshing the OF admin console page

Over the course of an hour I have observed JVM memory usage creep from 20 percent with half a dozen logged on users to at the time of writing 80 percent consumed.

All other users are on Spark 2.5.8 or Pidgin. I am the only user with Empathy.

The only plug-ins installed on this system are:

Red5 v0.1.11

Search v1.4.3

We are not using Red5 Sparkweb functionality - i.e we have it set on a trial basis for users if they wish to tinker, but as yet no-one is actually using it.

Another observation - if you really want to exacerbate the behaviour, quit Empathy and fire it back up in rapid sucession...

I'm not going to be able to get you thread dumps with this particular setup (sorry), but will return to my test system tomorrow and try and get some concrete data for you.

Cheers!
          Dave

EDIT: JVM heap size just hit 90 percent of capacity...so I'm gonna do a quick bounce of the server before anyone notices...

Message was edited by: davenz

• lebiberon Bronze 1 posts since
            Nov 17, 2009
            Nov 17, 2009 7:22 AM (in response to davenz)

I too am happy to find this thread.

We have a very modest Openfire installation, just 46 users, which ran untended and uninterupted for hundreds of days until November 5th, when we had the first "out of Java memory" crash. We took the enforced downtime as an opportunity to upgrade to 3.6.4.

It too crashed seven days later - out of Java resources..

Today (five days later) Java memory usage was at nearly 90% (of 1GB) so we restarted Openfire to preempt another crash.

Most of our clients are Pidgin (on Windows & Ubuntu), plus a smattering of OS X iChat. A couple of the Ubuntu users switched to Empathy on release of Ubuntu 9.10 (29 October). This does seem to have coincided the onset of our problems.

We have requested Empathy users to switch back to Pidgin and are monitoring closely.

Regards,

Nov 18, 2007
      Nov 16, 2009 10:39 PM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Hi Guus,

Matter of fact I did get a thread dump on our production system, easy when you know how I guess

I've replied to Gato in this thread:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/198160#198160

And I'm attaching the dump as well.

In this case I was able to expend JVM memory completely in about five (5) minutes from bringing the OF server up - simply by repeatedly exiting and launching Empathy rapidly. This was with one user (me), with the remaining three or so users (at this late time of the day hehe) using Spark or Pidgin. If I am reading this right then I can easily see how in large deployments several Empathy users would create headaches.

JVM memory status: 252.80 MB of 253.19 MB (99.8%) used

# ps -ef | grep -i java

daemon   30532     1 14 19:05 pts/0    00:01:33 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.u7/jre/bin/java -server -Xms128m -Xmx256m -DopenfireHome=/opt/openfire -Dopenfire.lib.dir=/opt/openfire/lib -classpath /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar -jar /opt/openfire/lib/startup.jar

# kill -3 30532

# cd /opt/openfire/logs/

# more nohup.out

Output in the attached.

Lemme know if this helps at all

Attachments:
  • inigoml Bronze 2 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    Nov 17, 2009 12:48 AM (in response to Dave)

Same problem here, but we are not using empathy. Our server only allow connections from Spark and Pidgin clients.

We don't use Sun JDK, but OpenJDK instead

Java Version:1.6.0_0 Sun Microsystems Inc. -- OpenJDK Server VM
    Host Name:openfire-im
    OS / Hardware:Linux / i386
    Locale / Timezone:en / Central European Time                     (1 GMT)

These are our enabled plugins:

Client Control 1.0.3

Email Listener 1.0.0

Kraken IM 1.1.2 (with Yahoo, MSN and Gtalk enabled)

Monitoring Service 1.1.1

Registration 1.4.1

Search 1.4.3

User Import/Export 2.2.0

Out of memory happens randomly. It can take up to 15 days... or 15 hours.

Nov 18, 2007
      Nov 17, 2009 12:54 AM (in response to inigoml)

Not necessarily the same problem then - there seems to be a growing body of evidence implicating Empathy in this particular issue, and in my case it appears I have a solid test case I can reproduce this consistently on.

Sep 8, 2005
        Nov 17, 2009 12:59 AM (in response to davenz)

I agree with Dave here. Given the amount of noise surrounding the Empathy client, something must be up there. You are probably not running into the same problem, but into something different with similar effects.

• inigoml Bronze 2 posts since
          Nov 17, 2009
          Nov 17, 2009 1:08 AM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Yes, it could be empathy, of course.

But I have sent you my own problem in order to find a possible pattern not related with empathy.

It probably will be empathy and our problem is another one, but perhaps is a plugin we are all using. I'm only trying to apply a "Dr House differential diagnostic". ;-)

I've also found some exceptions in log regarding email listener and some others related to Gtalk personal groups.

• wroot KeyContributor 8,216 posts since
        Jan 24, 2005
        Nov 17, 2009 1:05 AM (in response to davenz)

I think there are at least 3-4 different issues discussed on this thread and this gets very confusing, for Guus too, i think. Would be better to discuss Empathy issue on Empathy thread. For random out of memory issues a separate threads should be started too.

• scotty581 Bronze 2 posts since
    Jan 12, 2009
    Nov 17, 2009 12:51 PM (in response to Dave)

I am running Openfire 3.6.2 on Ubuntu Server 8.10.

Java Version:1.6.0_0 Sun Microsystems Inc. -- OpenJDK Server VM

I started having this same exact issue after I setup a laptop with Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 with the Empathy IM client.  Once I saw this post I turned off the Ubuntu laptop and rebooted the Ubuntu Server.  The problem has not come back since.

• Hendrik Bronze 3 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    Sep 8, 2005
    Nov 29, 2009 3:52 AM (in response to Dave)
    Re: Openfire 3.6.4 memory leak with Empathy

I think I've uncovered the cause of the problem. It appears to be Openfire's implementation of XEP-0163 "Personal Eventing Protocol."

As a workaround, you can disable PEP by adding this Openfire System Property (you can add/modify properties through the Openfire Admin console):

The property xmpp.pep.enabled should be set to: false

• FrancoisT Bronze 10 posts since
      Oct 27, 2009
      Nov 30, 2009 12:30 AM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Good news! I have added this setting to our server, I will monitor the memory use now. Thanks a lot for your work!

Sep 8, 2005
        Dec 25, 2009 4:17 AM (in response to Dave)

Hi Dave,

Sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you.

I've been trying to identify the cause of the problem, but so far, have been unable to do so. I've asked other developers to have a look too, but none of them have been successful either. Sadly, my attempts are severely hindered by lack of time - I'm doing this in my spare time, which is limited.

I'm not comfortable at all releasing the next version of Openfire with this bug in it, but there's going to be a point in the near future where I feel we should be pragmatic, and move forward. The release has been postponed for to long now.

In the meantime, the lead developer of the Empathy client has confirmed that updates have been released that should dramatically reduce the impact of the bug. Thanks, Sjoerd! I haven't tested the new client yet though.

Although I'm having trouble identifying the exact cause, I did manage to make some progress. While investigating, I've discovered a number of smaller and bigger issues in the PEP / pubsub routines of Openfire. There's no obvious direct link between these issues and the memory leak that we've been discussing here, but the issues that I'm addressing now are likely candidates, in the sense that these kind of (concurrency-related) bugs are known to  cause these kind of problems. I'm currently busy rewriting parts of the PEP routines. I'm hoping that my general improvements make this problem go away (or at least help me to identify the cause). This borders on the edges of educated guessing and wishful thinking, but hey, it's the holiday season.

Regards,

Guus

• plastikat Bronze 7 posts since
      Sep 27, 2010
      May 2, 2011 3:08 AM (in response to Guus der Kinderen)

Hi, Guus and All!

My configuration:

LDAP (AD) users and groups (around 120 users), rosters are distributed via shared groups, around six various plugins (I've been trying disabling all of them while digging this problem, so the list is not important).

My environment:

Server (current): Openfire 3.7.0 release (started using with Openfire 3.6.4 release and further through some nightly builds and beta).

Clients (current): Miranda IM 0.9.19.0 (started using with Miranda IM 0.9.10.0 and further through stable releases).

I've started suffering from daily memory runouts since putting 3.6.4 in production, Java memory configuration was default, min=max=64 MB. Then, I've tried increasing memory to min=64 MB max=256 MB, but it extended total memory runout period only (to about 2 days). My temporary solution was scheduling a nightly server restart - and even if it was pretty acceptable in my (corporative) environment, it is not good for any server at all.

I've read about Empathy/PEP/Java-memory some time ago, but: firstly, we don't use Empathy at all; and secondly, it was not clear to me what actually PEP is. So, I've been waiting for Openfire 3.7.0 release, hoping that it would solve my memory problem - and when 3.7.0 was finally released - and the problem was not solved - I've started analyzing and digging actively. I must say, that Java Monitor is really a great tool for troubleshooting Java apps & servers (thank Guus for telling about it), it helped to see what's going on inside my server (and keeps telling me that).

When influence of all of my plugins has been excluded, I've recalled this PEP thing, and have carefully read about it. I've found out that it actually intercrosses with my other issue, but no one (not even guru's ) have pointed that out to me. Now, I confirm that disabling PEP solved my long-suffered memory runouts (leak) problem, and here are a couple of related findings:

1. I think that this problem is not related to Empathy only, I suppose it is related to any client, that supports PEP (i.e. sending/receiving Mood/Activity/Tunes information or other "personal events") - and this aspect should be pointed out here or in some other place - so that people would be clearly aware of it. If "personal events" are not actually being sent by clients (i.e. clients are not capable of doing so) - it doesn't matter if PEP is enabled or not, the problem comes out only when PEP is actually used. And, until PEP realisation in Openfire is a known memory hog (until bugs are found and fixed) - wouldn't making it disabled by default (out-of-box) be a good idea? I guess there are very few folks that use it consciously (and very few clients that support it).

2. As far as I understand setting property xmpp.pep.enabled to false doesn't actually disable PEP capability advertising by server, it simply disables processing of events of this given type - becase after setting this property and restarting server I still get (while connecting):

<iq type="result" id="****" from="****" to="****@****/****">
           <query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info">
                <identity category="server" name="Openfire Server" type="im" />
                <identity category="pubsub" type="pep" />
                <feature var="http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#manage-subscriptions" />

<feature var="http://jabber.org/protocol/rsm" />
           </query>
      </iq>

So, is there a way to disable PEP-advertising (i.e. completely disable PEP)? If there is no such way - it would be desirable.

The point is that Miranda IM clients (I don't know about other clients, including Empathy) show "personal events" selecting/setting menus only when this capability is advertised by server, and if it's not - there are simply no such menus (I've found this out long ago, by trying to connecting to some public non-PEP non-Openfire servers). Thus, it's not obvious to people why they have these menus and they can't set "personal events".

Sep 8, 2005
    Dec 31, 2009 2:57 PM (in response to Dave)

I have attached a patch that should fix this (and related) problems in the JIRA issue ( OF-82). I'd be greatful if someone would give it a test.

Jun 22, 2006
    Jan 13, 2010 6:21 PM (in response to Dave)

We are having serious memory leak issues that are NOT related to Empathy or pep. I started another thread for that incase anyone else is experiencing these issues: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/40791

Thanks

Daniel

• Michael Adams Bronze 20 posts since
    Dec 23, 2008
    Sep 30, 2011 9:39 AM (in response to Dave)

I figured out how to capture a memory leak report on the latest build (September 30, 2011). Memory usage was heavily concentrated in PEPService, TaskQueue, and the language modules.

http://community.igniterealtime.org/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/2207-102-1-2 490/leak_report_09302011.pdf

• Aaron Evans Bronze 4 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    Apr 5, 2012 6:19 AM (in response to Dave)

I can confirm that setting the property xmpp.pep.enabled set to false prevents a memory leak in openfire 3.7.

We had some folks using a few different clients (adium, pidgin, etc) and at least one of them was definitely causing a memory leak and we'd have to restart openfire at least once a week with a heap size of around 1 GB.

Now that we've put that property in place, it's been smooth sailing ever since.  BTW, we have 3 other servers where we tightly controlled which clients were allowed to connect and they did not suffer from the memory leak presumably because the client used didn't use PEP features.

In my opinion, this is a MAJOR bug with openfire - a client program should not be able to take down your server by generating a memory leak.  The server should correctly handle whatever the client does to prevent this.

I'm rather surprised that this issue has persisted for so long and that it hasn't been addressed...

• Rodrigo Torres Bronze 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2012
    Apr 6, 2012 5:33 PM (in response to Dave)

I want to report that the memory leak still exists on 3.7.1 and setting xmpp.pep.enabled=false seems to solve the problem.

• rcollier KeyContributor 982 posts since
      Mar 4, 2009
      Apr 7, 2012 7:56 AM (in response to Rodrigo Torres)

Yes, that is already known.  I was referring to the next version, the as of yet unreleased 3.7.2, which is why I was mentioning that you would need to download the nightly build.

There are instructions related to that in the bottom of this thread.  Unfortunately, the nightly build from the downloads page has not been updated since December, so that isn't of any use.

• ewolkowicz Bronze 1 posts since
    Nov 29, 2012
    Nov 30, 2012 6:44 AM (in response to Dave)

Not sure if this will help anyone but I was able to fix memory issues I was having by pointing openfire to a different, 64 bit JRE.  The OS is RHEL 6.1.  Here is my config file from /etc/sysconfig/openfire.

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64/jre

OPENFIRE_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Xss128k -Xoss128k -XX:ThreadStackSize=128 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:+PrintGCDetails -Xloggc:/opt/openfire/logs/gc.log"

I run openfire 3.7.0.  Other than a few administrative changes yesterday, I haven't had to restart Openfire in many many months after using that JRE.  I keep the gc log enabled since it barely takes up any space (now that there's no memory errors ).  That was how I was able to figure out where the problem was originally.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points