java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name openfire_i18n, locale en

I moved my Openfire server to a Xen install and upgraded to Openfire 3.4.4. Openfire will run fine for awhile, but after some time, I get the following error instead of the Administration Console login page:

Exception:

java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name openfire_i18n, locale en
     at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:1508)
     at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:1262)
     at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:789)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleUtils.getLocalizedString(LocaleUtils.java:383)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleUtils.getLocalizedString(LocaleUtils.java:415)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleUtils.getLocalizedString(LocaleUtils.java:398)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AdminConsole.getAdminText(AdminConsole.java:221)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AdminConsole.getAppName(AdminConsole.java:122)
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.login_jsp._jspService(login_jsp.java:163)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:39)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:41)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:828)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
     at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)

This also seems to affect users connecting and chatting. If I stop and start the server, things are fine again until an hour or so later, then I get the same error.

What causes this? How can I fix it?

I’m still getting the problems. It looks like it’s because of an OutOfMemoryError:

2008.01.28 08:00:26 org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.exceptionCaught(ConnectionHandle r.java:109)

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

2008.01.28 08:01:15 org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.createIncomingSession(ServerDial back.java:387) An error occured while creating a server session

java.io.EOFException: no more data available - expected end tag </stream:stream> to close start tag <stream:stream> from line 1, parser stopped on START_TAG seen …/streams" xmlns=“jabber:server” xmlns:db=“jabber:server:dialback”>… @1:141

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.fillBuf(MXParser.java:3035)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.more(MXParser.java:3046)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:75)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextToken(MXParser.java:1100)

at org.dom4j.io.XMPPPacketReader.parseDocument(XMPPPacketReader.java:317)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.createIncomingSession(ServerDia lback.java:347)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalIncomingServerSession.createSession(Loca lIncomingServerSession.java:101)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ServerSocketReader.createSession(ServerSocketRead er.java:211)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketReader.createSession(SocketReader.java:390)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.BlockingReadingMode.run(BlockingReadingMode.java: 53)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:119)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

I’ve tried to increase the heap space seen on these posts but that does nothing to curb this behavior.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/28207

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/28426

Are there other things I can try that might fix this problem?

Yeah, same error with 3.6.4. I’m starting openfire with “-Xss256k -Xmx512m.”

Did you read the Openfire Requirements? How many users are online on your server, do you know what they are mostly doing (normal chat, group chat, pubsub)? Are they connected via http-bind? The server’s memory usage can vary if you have very active users. You could try to monitor the memory usage and create a heap dump its described on the JVM Settings and Debugging. More infos would be usefull.

Thanks for the link to the requirements page. Currently, the most I’m seeing is 50 concurrent users on my system. We’re doing normal and group chat, not sure what pubsub is. No http binding. I will try to collect more data. Thanks again for the links!

I just encountered this problem again. It produced a 900MB dump file: java_pid29258.hprof. Bzip2 was able to compress it to 153MB. Where can I upload it to?

Same here; I’ve only got about 50 users and prior to 3.6.4 I’ve never seen this error. And it happens right away, so it doesn’t seem like a leak.

Restart teh server, i think it was out of java memory, yes and should be be increase