Skip navigation
12502 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2014 11:37 AM by peetaur RSS
magix Bronze 15 posts since
Aug 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2009 3:58 PM

Help ! OpenFire crashes while configuring !

Hello,

When I confirm the database parameters in the web interface, I get this...

I tried to configure it almost only with default parameters.

It's openfire-3.6.4-1.i386.rpm under SLES 10SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Denis

HTTP ERROR: 500

INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

RequestURI=/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)
     at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
     at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)
     at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
     at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:42)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
     at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
     at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
     at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)
    • wroot KeyContributor 8,222 posts since
      Jan 24, 2005
      Aug 8, 2009 6:19 AM (in response to magix)
      Re: Help ! OpenFire crashes while configuring !
      What database do you select in the setup? And do yo have write permissions on /openfire folder and subfolders?
          Jan 24, 2005
          Aug 8, 2009 7:44 AM (in response to magix)

What is saved in the openfire.xml? Do you have embedded-db folder in your installation folder when you select the internal database? You can try creating such folder manually with that user "daemon".

Jan 24, 2005
              Aug 8, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to magix)

Your openfire.xml is missing the last tags <setup>true</setup>. That's probably because it never finishes. I see your external mysql settings are here. Try this: stop Openfire and change connectio provider tag to this:

<connectionProvider>
                  <className>org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider</className>
                </connectionProvider>

Then start Openfire and try to select the internal db. Or you can do a fresh install and try the embedded-db for the first time.

Jan 24, 2005
                    Aug 8, 2009 9:44 AM (in response to magix)

Well, it can be a bug, though i havent seen a lot of such reports. You can try a standalone version (tar.gz), Just extract it and run (/openfire/bin/ openfire.sh i think).

This error means that Openfire's internal web server Jetty is crashing, but i cant say what is causing this. Are there any other web servers on this machine like Apache? Also, then you reinstall, dont run it manually, just try to launch the Admin Console. Maybe it is already running and this is causing the conflict. Well, i'm running out of ideas, so i just tell about all the common problems. Another common problem is that some other app is already using 9090 port. But then you won't be able to launch Admin Console at all.

• daniel.kinzler Bronze 5 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    Sep 23, 2009 1:37 PM (in response to magix)

Same problem here, installing on Solaris from package. Install goes fine, admin cosole comes up, database configuration is fine, openfire.xml gets written and is valid XML. But when trying "profile settings" with the "default" option, it crashes with a null pointer exception at

org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)

knowing what exactly *is* on that line might help

I'm using PostGres as the database, and according to the logs, setting up the tables worked fine.

So... any ideas?

• lionzyc Bronze 1 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Feb 23, 2012 1:32 AM (in response to magix)
    Help ! OpenFire crashes while configuring !

I got the same problem, not because the browser I userd .The problem appeard after the computer reboot, then I realized that mysql dos not start with the computer,but openfire start and I do not know openfire has start...

I do not know if you can understand.I am a Chinese and my english is terrible.

• Mariusz Ostoja-Świerczyński Bronze 3 posts since
    Jul 27, 2012
    Jul 27, 2012 7:20 AM (in response to magix)

Hi,

I had same exception in Chrome and even IE. I just restarted the server and this solve the issue for me. I might be caused because I fight with database connection issue for long time and the openfire state was not clear.

Cheers

• peetaur Bronze 1 posts since
    Feb 24, 2014
    Feb 24, 2014 11:37 AM (in response to magix)

5 years later, and I had the same problem with the 3.9.1 binary Linux distribution. I installed the source distribution (intending to debug and patch it, since ALL NullPointerExceptions are coder error, not anything else, ever) instead of the binary one, and it works now for me, without any changes. Perhaps it is an issue with compiling with one JDK version and running with another (which with bad coding can cause different initialization order of static fields, static initializers, etc. and trigger bugs).

In my case, I'm running:

java version "1.7.0_51"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

Or as Mariusz said, it might have been related to another bug, where the docs said I should run the sql file, and that caused failures ... needed to remove all tables, and not run the sql file before setup. So my openfire might have been in a bad state too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points